In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cult of Browning Hi Power

AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in General Discussion
Didn't want to hijack Doc's thread on his new acquisition, but a lot of people mentioned that a Hi Power is on their wishlist. I recently bought a near mint 1992 one from my dentist's brother, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet to see what's so special about it that so many people want one.

Soooo, what's so special about it?

Comments

• Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best pistol ever made!
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are very pretty.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    congrats on a great pistol

I have owned a few but had to part with them , I really liked the pistol for looks feel and shooting one of my favorite pistols ( and yes on my wish list to replace one ) I think one of brownings shining accomplishments [^]
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my very biased opinion, the best semiautomatic pistol ever made. I've owned two "T" Series and stupidly sold both of them; the profit margin was too attractive! My last Hi-Power was my CCW qualifying gun also. Guess it's time to find another below value "T" Series! [:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the best guns ever built
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is a very pretty gun and I'm sure it's a great gun, but both of those qualities are subjective. What makes it the best gun ever? Accuracy? Reliability? Resale value?...What makes it so great/special that it has such a cult following?
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AzAfshin
    It is a very pretty gun and I'm sure it's a great gun, but both of those qualities are subjective. What makes it the best gun ever? Accuracy? Reliability? Resale value?...What makes it so great/special that it has such a cult following?Yes to all!!!! Best shooting semiauto I've ever owned!

Added: Resale value is why I no longer have one and I'm looking for a great buy on my next one! [:I]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and they hold 13 rounds in the magazine.
  • Options
    Irish 8802Irish 8802 Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love 'em,,,,,However,,,,,,, does not fit my arthritic hand, had to sell.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my HP!! For me personally it fits my hand almost perfectly and when I swing it up it points perfectly. Mine dates from the 80s and is very accurate. I have, at 50 feet, with one in the chamber, rapid fired 14 rounds, reloaded and rapid fired 13 more. 27 rounds all on target. I wish I could still shoot like that!! Actually I can still do pretty well. Even after my stroke I can still out shoot my 17 year old son!![:D]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9mm is one factor
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The High Power is one of the most attractive pistols ever made and in the case the those produced in Belgium, second in quality only to SIG (NOT SIG/Sauer, the actual Swiss firm). The downsides are typically poor sights and a mediocre trigger, both of which can be corrected. I have small hands and the HP fits my hands comfortably, which is a huge plus for many people who find something like the Beretta 92 difficult to manage. I have a few HPs, but then I have what seems like a few of everything, and I like them.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love the way it feels in my hand....the grip is perfect for me. I don't have a real hi power, yet...I have a FEG PJK-9HP but it is an close clone
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was a revolutionary weapon when first designed. To this day, it holds its own with the new technology. That is amazing.

It shoots well, holds a lot of rounds, is a beautiful design, easy to disassemble and clean, and is gorgeous. Reliability is a bonus.

Simply for the history it would be worth having, similar to the Luger.

But overall, a reliable, high capacity, accurate, well designed pistol.

I own a Belgian clone, and I love it. Fabulous piece.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the Hi Power, but 'the best' or 'special'? Not in my opinion.[}:)]

Load 13 in the mag and it turns into a 'jam-O-matic'. Don't believe me, research the SAS and their standing order for number of rounds in the mag.

It (later models - I don't know about the originals) has a Mag safety. No mag? No bang.

The models with the mag safety(s) have horrible triggers. (creepy, krunchy, notchy, etc)

The sights could be (much) better.

It wasn't 'really' designed by JMB (you know, that M1911/M1911A1 guy.)

And while the 9 mm Parabellum round is on my 'I don't want to get hit with one of those' list, it AIN'T a 45 ACP

What I find amusing is that you bought one and NOW want to know about it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the Hi Power, but 'the best' or 'special'? Not in my opinion.[}:)]

Load 13 in the mag and it turns into a 'jam-O-matic'. Don't believe me, research the SAS and their standing order for number of rounds in the mag.

It (later models - I don't know about the originals) has a Mag safety. No mag? No bang.

The models with the mag safety(s) have horrible triggers. (creepy, krunchy, notchy, etc)

And while the 9 mm Parabellum round is on my 'I don't want to get hit with one of those' list, it AIN'T a 45 ACP

I bought it because I got a good deal on it, it's a beautiful pistol, it's a Belgian one, it's had no more than 100 rounds through it, and I like guns. Just a great deal when I did my research. I was just curious as to why it seems to have an almost cult like following.

ADDED: Also, it's priced similar to a lot of other pistols these days, so it's not exactly out of reach of the average gun buyer (definitely cheaper than a Python), so why does everyone pine over it and not just buy it as their next gun purchase (I assume most people here have many guns anyways)?
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Removing the magazine disconnect take just a few seconds and makes all the difference. I had to pry the magazines out of my gun, once I removed the magazine disconnect from the trigger the mags drop free.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx

Mec-Gar makes 15rd HP Mags. Most CZ75 owner will notch 2nd hole in their CZ75 mag allowing them to work in both guns.

The MKIII HP feature ramped barrels for JHP ammo, ambi-safeties, and dovetailed sights from the factory.

Removing the mag safety is simple.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I tried removing the mag safety and couldn't. The trigger bar wouldn't bend out of the way and I didn't want to force it too much.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only one that night my collection...

It's in .30 cal Mauser (bottleneck cartridge)

It's does have tangent sights and some south African markings

It's been well used - had no grips when I bought it so I put a set from an Inglis Canadian high power on it

No shoulder stock groove

It's one of my all time favorite pistols

I think mark Christian is the hi power expert extant on this board

He could give a doctoral thesis dissertation on the subject wearing a blindfold...

Mine is not a high capacity either

Mike