In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What are you reading

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in General Discussion
Any novel recommendations? Just ordered Jack Hinson's One Man's War. Hear a rumor Matt Bracken is working on a sequel to Castigo Cay. Lee Child's jack Reacher books suck. Read 18 of them. He likes to portray rural America as stupid goat humping hicks.

Alas Babylon was good.

Comments

• Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got done reading Thr Sorrows Of Empire By Chalmers Johnson. let me tell you strait up this guy is screaming liberal but he put together a very interesting book about how are country has gone from one of isolation to now with us being a global power. in it he gives stats on how much we speand on defense and how many military bases we have in the world and its close to 1000. If you can stand reading this I would recomend it
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm reading Gun Broker member Rocky Raab's second book, "Mike Five Eight" and enjoying it.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my oldest daughter got me a copy of "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond, for Christmas. I have just started, but it's really interesting.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Here's a novel recommendation. Get a copy of William Manchester's AMERICAN CAESAR or THE SEVEN PILLARS OF WISDOM by T. E. Lawrence.

Armageddon 2419 AD is pretty good. It really is a novel.
    Seven Days in May is good reading.

Any Joseph Conrad or Ernest K. Gann are excellent reads.
    Lord Jim and Fate is the Hunter are two favorites of mine.

I've not read much Louie L'Amore, but LONESOME GODS was good.

Glad you liked ALAS BABYLON. It was my first contact with "preppers" at age 14. [;)]

Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes is a must read once in life.

"Call me Ishmael" is the first line of Herman Melville's Moby Dick and a line you'll remember forever. It's also a good 150 year old novel.
  • Options
    jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm reading Thomas Jefferson's Biography and the founding of the country also The Apache Scouts. The history of the Apache scouts during the Indian wars.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    History of the Medici in 15th century Florence, how they created modern government and were the godfathers of the renaissance.
  • Options
    flyingcolumnflyingcolumn Member Posts: 374 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    John LeCarre; the George Smiley series.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    History of the Medici in 15th century Florence, how they created modern government and were the godfathers of the renaissance.

I'll look for that myself. They had their fingers in every facet of
    European life then and to some extent even today.

Try The Arms of Krupp for 19th century industrial age robber barons in Europe.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The General vs The President, by H.W. Brands.
    About the relationship of General Douglas MacArthur and President Harry Truman from 1945 until MacArthur is relieved by Truman during the Korean Conflict. Interesting stuff...
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just finished the complete collection of Mark Twain's short stories.

About to begin my biannual reading of Patrick O'Brian's 20-volume "Master and Commander" series. Some of the finest prose ever written, IMO. Even after reading it all numerous times, I still discover marvelous turns of phrase and masterful language.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I washed a video on You Tube where they dug up members of the Medici family to verify who was buried where.

XXXXXX
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Master and Commander has pretty accurate Deep Sea Seamanship and Maritime lore, something I really appreciate.

I recently finished "Killing The Rising Sun" and Burton"s " Chasing Shadows".

Presently working my way through several Raspberry Pi programming and projects books, getting a handle on budget IoT devices.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Just finished the complete collection of Mark Twain's short stories.

About to begin my biannual reading of Patrick O'Brian's 20-volume "Master and Commander" series. Some of the finest prose ever written, IMO. Even after reading it all numerous times, I still discover marvelous turns of phrase and masterful language.

I do the same thing with Kenneth Roberts' books on the French & Indian War, American Revolution and his early 19th century sea tales..
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been reading Michael Connelly Harry Bosch. I have a bunch here.

Recently finished Worst Hard Time....the dust bowl especially Dalhart.
    And Jeff Shaara Final Storm about Okinawa and Hiroshima.

Read an offbeat book called Midnight Nebraska.

Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West. Next... but I hate the small type.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Steven King,"Desperation".
    AWESOME book!
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am in the middle of my annual reading of Tolkien's Trilogy. I always read it between Christmas and New Year's. I am almost finished with The Two Towers.

I was introduced to Tolkien when my 4th grade teacher read The Hobbit to us after recess over the course of several weeks. I got a copy to read myself, and the school librarian told me about The Trilogy.

Still not sure if the man was a genius...or nuts. [^]
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wayne Goddards, Knife shop revisited. [^] Sent to me by a forum member. Problem is, I can't remember whom, and I am embarrassed. [:I] It was a giveaway that I wanted bad. Sorry for not remembering who.Oakie
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Basic Works of Aristotle. um, 1485 pages of "basic works".

read the Complete Works of Plato (1745 pages) and Plato was more interesting. most people think of Plato as another ancient stuffy philosopher. well they usually weren't stuffy, they were people just like you and I; and being a wrestler, Plato was sociable and engaging. that's why his works were all dialogues between all the different people he encountered.

I don't know what his actual name was, but he got the name "Plato" from a nickname his wrestling coach gave him, "platon", meaning broad shoulders.

anyways Aristotle (one of Plato's students) would be the prototypical stuffy old philosopher. no dialogue, just monologues about everything; rambling, sometimes sounds drunk, usually cuts himself off prematurely. but, he was obviously well learned and you can learn a lot of information about how people were, what they thought, and how people of his time came to the conclusions they did. often he is boring but sometimes he really takes off and it's interesting.

one section was about the importance of the middle class. he hits all the buttons and it is 100% as relevant today as he observed it 2500 years ago. I was going to post it if I had the time.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    West Point by John Grant.

The first 200 years. Interesting read with forward by Buzz Aldrin,
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,406 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just finished One Shot ,one of the jack reacher books .First time I had read any of Leed childs work Not too bad .Have no idea what is next
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jess Sweeten Texas Lawman.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every five years or so I break out my Peter Capstick books. The man may or may not have been a fraud but he was one hell of a writer. His stories of being a PH in Africa and tales of hunters and explorers of the past are well worth reading.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    World War Z. GREAT read. Very imaginative.
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recommend Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark. It is an account of his first safari.

A longer read is the Leatherstocking Tales.

KC
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    working thru the David Baldacci series.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I decided to follow my wife's lead and kept a list of all the books I read in 2016:
    Kasserine ~ Charles Whiting
    Behind Nazi Lines ~ Andrew Gerow Hodges, Jr.
    Prisoners of the Japanese ~ Gavan Daws
    The Man Who Invented Hitler ~ David Lewis
    The Berlin Wall ~ Pierre Galante
    The Luftwaffe 1933-45, Hitler's Eagles ~ Chris McNab
    Avalanche ~ Patrick F. McManus
    The Twilight Warriors ~ Robert Gandt
    Among The Headhunters ~ Robert Lyman
    The Potential ~ David A. Davies
    When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit ~ Judith Kerr
    From Crossbow to H-Bomb ~ Bernard and Fawn Brodie
    Lines of Battle: Letters from American Servicemen, 1941-1945 ~ Annette Tapert
    The Bravest Battle: The 28 days of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising ~ Dan Kurzman
    A Hunter's Fireside Book ~ Gene Hill
    The Last Jews in Berlin ~ Leonard Gross
    Flyboys ~ James Bradley
    Shifty's War ~ Marcus Brotherton
    Battle of Britain ~ Len Deighton

Only one of those was a novel (Avalanche). I tend to prefer WWII history stories.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The Burma Road". I got it as a gift this Xmas. About the CBI theater of WWII. My dad was in it. What mess. He didn't like being there. He never talked about it. He'd talk about the Nagas and the Ghurkas now and then.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lysistrata....
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't read much fiction and I tend to jump from subject to subject.
    Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
    The Age Of Oversupply by Daniel Alpert
    Soldiers Of Destruction by Charles W. Sydnor
    Autobiography of Samuel S. Hildebrand edited by Kirby Ross
    Hatchers Book Of The Garand by Maj. Gen. Julian S. Hatcher
    Recently started The Rise and Fall Of Nations by Ruchir Sharma
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, that's a coincidence. Now I'm going to have to get that book BigGuy has listed. The headhunters.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll read almost anything. That said The Old Man And The Boy by Robert Ruark is a great read. It's tales of growing up with his grand father. I never knew mine and always wondered what they were like.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One fish, two fish, red fish blue fish.
    The cat in the hat
    Curious George and the man in the yellow hat.
    Green eggs and Ham
    We had our great niece here for a couple of days[:D]
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Duh !!!!! GunBroker Forums !!!!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    David weber military science fiction

2 new books in 2 separate series (safe hold and honorverse)

And jama - lancet - nejm articles on cancer treatments

Mike