In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

who all wears gloves shooting?

0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
ive got a habit of wearing my nomex flight gloves when i shoot .who else shoots with gloves on?

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
SEMPER FI

Comments

• ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do when I shoot .45/70 cal or .445 Super Mag. hot loads out of my Contender.That's with 10" and 12" barrels.[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blackhawk offers a wide range of their Hellstrom gloves and I am rather fond of that line and own a few different versions. I always wear their Fury model kevlar gloves with high gauntlets on LE demos because fullauto fire can heat up things pretty quickly and I've burned my hands far too often over the years. My old Ruger AC-556 sales sample was a third degree burn just waiting to happen! Otherwise I generally wear a pair of PAST fingerless gloves when I shoot longuns but I seldom if ever wear gloves shooting handguns other than my S&W Model 29...gloves are mandatory for me with that pistol!

Mark T. Christian
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to wear a glove on my right hand when I shot my Ruger .454, until I replaced the factory grips. It was part of a pair of fingerless gloves that I wear when I go mountain biking.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    I've tried before, can't get a good feel for the trigger. Even when I'm hunting from a stand I have my trigger hand in my pocket without a glove.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Only when I am shooting a rifle and for long range target. I never use one when I shoot my hand gun. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    i shoot the 3 gun shotgun doing the M.Jackson thing glove on left hand that thing gets hot when you just shot 10 rounds and have to roll it over and load it in a hurry

Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    I tried it, but its very uncomfortable. I agree about the trigger challenges with those posted earlier. The trigger finger doesn't feel right., but I guess if it was too cold out, its better than frostbite.

~Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour~
    ~Proud member of the NRA and The John Birch Society~
    ~Protecting the 2nd Ammendment and United States Sovereignty~

jbs.giflogo22.jpgRemingtons.jpg
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i dont but my hands have been hhardened by years of diesel fuel and weather however my wife does because for some reason she always seems to get sore in the web between her thumb and forefinger changing grips doesnt help so she wears a glove

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Only if it's cold.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I buy nitrile and vinyl gloves for plumbing, and sometimes use them then shooting if its cold and windy. The medical supply calls me "Dr. S." when getting a re-order.
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    When it is cold enough to freeze the toes of a polar bear you have no choice. I do use a hand warmer and no glove often.

However, I have found that real light goat skin gloves, the white ones you find in hard ware stores, have enough lanolin in them to make them soft and get a pretty good feel for the trigger. I think the lanolin also helps retain heat. My favorite glove for December pheasant hunting.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back when I used to shoot competition I used a glove ... they were fingeless sports glove that had a jel-pack in the pressure points of the palms ... the theroy was it would isolate the heart beat pulse ... I'm such a good shot I don't know if it really helped or not [B)]

Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

Topeka.gif
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have not tried it. If it is that cold, I stay inside. [;)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wear gloves when shooting some of my shotguns in an effort to keep greasy fingerprints off of them.
  • 2gun2gun Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ive used the hatch oprater gloves for a while now. i have a skin condition that cause the skin on the heel of the hand to dry and crack. the padding and moisturizer helps prevent irritation.

happiness is a warm gun, preferably preban
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    I'd say 75% of the time I wear gloves when I'm shooting. Bulky gloves are no good! The gloves that work for me are some nice light form fitting motocross gloves or mechanix brand gloves. They are crafted well and are very form fitting. I still have plenty of feel for the trigger with these too. I highly reccomned them!
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neopreme shooting glove for slow fire standing, rapid sitting, and rapid prone. Big open fingered mitt for slow fire at 600 yards and 1000 yards. Don't use a glove for pistol. Beach
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 0311marine
    ive got a habit of wearing my nomex flight gloves when i shoot .who else shoots with gloves on?

Gloves when hunting (camo). I don't wear gloves when I go to the range. It doesn't really get that cold here and I'd rather practice with no gloves, cause thats how I'll have to shoot if push comes to shove. (the worst recoil handgun I have is a P40 pocket pistol)
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When shooting Handguns I have for the last 10yrs,because in the event I do ever have to use a firearm I will more than likely be wearing gloves.Plus a day at the range and your hand kind of appreciates the gel cushion.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the left hand only for trap/clays. Just keeps from marring the forends from my wedding ring.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wear shooting gloves when shooting skeet. When shooting revolvers I wear disposable latex surgical gloves. Makes clean up a ton easier. When it is really cold during hunting season, I wear whatever keeps my paws warm.

He Dog
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Never.
    When it's cold,I will wear gloves until it's time to pull the trigger,but then it comes off.Never have been able to get the feel of it with my trigger finger covered.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When just shooting, seldom.

When hunting, always. I want to cover as much skin as possible. The only exception is my trigger finger. I cut that finger off the glove right off the bat.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Only in the winter.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When it is cold, I use those mil-issue gloves with the brown woll liner and the shell. On my left hand i wear the glove and liner. On my right just the liner. you still get good trigger control and you don't freeze.

medal.gif27Nov2003 Samarra, Iraq