In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What caliber chainsaw do you use?

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Quote Bullzeye: Today, I went to the range after school and felled a 6-inch diameter tree with two 7.62x54mm rounds from my Mosin-Nagant M44.When putting up deer tree stands I've pruned a few "out of reach" tree limbs with a shotgun....but, I may have to get me one of those M44's.....

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They way he needs big things to do little jobs, I hate to see what he prunes the rose bush with!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...I suppose that mini-gun they used in the movie "Predator" was a weedeater.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tell me something Rem, what is so special about an old worn out thing like the Mosin nagant m44? I've seen those things and guessed them to be a cheap surplus rifle that was cheap for a reason, like a sks. Are they really worth bragging about and should I get one so I have a superior weapon like our Chief Combat Advisor?[This message has been edited by 7mm nut (edited 04-07-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...I guess they are cheaper than a chainsaw, and you don't have to sharpen them....heehee
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, if he likes big overpowered toys with big names, I can sell him my Stihl 044 with 21" bar, plenty big enough for a 6" diam tree with plenty of power to spare. Probably won't get arrested for using it either!
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother took a fast shot with a 12 ga. slug gun at a six pointer. Hit buck in neck, dropping it in it's tracks. Slug travelled thru buck hitting a 4" tree, split the tree in two, slug sticking in a split piece. Has the rack, and tree pieces as a wall mount.
    Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    7mm i have to agree with you on the Stihl 044 darn fine saw but better keep it out of the kids hands or he would probadly cut is leg off with it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ya think? Ok, I'll sell him a little Stihl electric saw. (I can put the chain on backwards so he don't hurt himself!)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    7mm hey have you ever done that( put their chain on backwards) to someone when they aren't looking ,funny as heck when they go and try to start cutting, and nothing happens they look down at their saw with this really wierd look on their face and you can just see it in their face, What the He-l's going on here!!!!![This message has been edited by gskyhawk (edited 04-07-2002).]
  • Options
    deceedecee Member Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was kind of senseless. What did the tree ever do to you other than give you clean air to breath. Stick to targets please.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Whats even funnier is when they go to file the thing and never notice it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    7mm ya thats true, even been knowen to do that a time or two myself (thats is put a chain on backwards on my own saw and not notice it ) I take it you know a thing or two about saws and the woods?[This message has been edited by gskyhawk (edited 04-07-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was raised a farm boy, I aint no saw expert but I do have a couple Stihl toys.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    7mm I was raised on a farm to ,, it a shame more kids can't have that start in life. I don't swing a saw any more but i did spend a lot of years doing it for a living[This message has been edited by gskyhawk (edited 04-07-2002).]
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a new chain last week, didn't notice it until I went to touch it up with a file, but it had 5 links (3 teeth) that were in backwards. The store owner was kinda upset that I insisted on another new chain instead of letting him repair the messed up one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tailgunner you would have thought the store would have been happy to make it right, you know keep your repeat customers happy
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tailgunner,They would be more than happy to make it right around here.Just to keep you from coming back in with it running.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh I got the new chain he just wasn't happy about it. Store is 6 miles away and, unless I want to drive 25-30 miles, is the only place around (captive custumer base ?) so he just dosn't care. I told the wife that we won't be shopping their anymore, but will be taking our busness to the more distant places, our savings will offset the gas cost to boot.
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 20 years ago, right before Christmas, and while I was still dating my future wife, I took her out squirrel hunting. I had promised to cut her a nice, small cedar tree to decorate for Christmas. After we got finished hunting, I realised I had left the axe at home. So what did I do? Shot one down with my trusty Savage model 24 20 guage. 2 shots from about 3 inches with a full choke 20 will knock one over, no problem! Got it home, trimmed up the buggered up end, and it looked great. Like they say...Any port in a storm!
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've also had a dealer splice a chain and put the two pieces backwards. I saw what he was doing but let him finish since he was sort of a wise@$$ *@$$ down in Alexandria LA and he had sort of made fun of how little I knew about chainsaws. It was my first one and I was not the expert I am now. I got no more ribbing after I told him at least I knew how to put a chain together.I have never used anything but Poulan's. They are made in Louisiana and I have always had good luck with them.I'm not sure but I believe running a chain backwards can do bad thing to the sprocket??
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who dont.
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a bit younger (and a bit stupider) I learned a great lesson from chain sawering...I hand a saw, and was employed by aguy to cut firewood out of a hunting club's woods. My job was to cut up the logs after they had been hauled out of the woods. Little did I know at the time, but those 1-1/2--2" thick vines attached to the trunk by fine red roots were the nasty reason I was hired for the task at hand. After a day of sweating in the hot sun, without my shirt on, and getting saw dust all over my upper half, It was to late to turn back the clock. I got the worst case of poison ivy I ever had. let me tell you, I decided to take up shooting after that!!!!
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I burn wood for most of my heat. So I have went thrue afew saws. Best advice I ever got was when I was at a gun shop looking at a #4 enfield. I realy wanted it but I told the Owner that I had to buy a new saw. He sugested that I buy the rifle and shoot the trees down. It sure was a lot more fun!
    Any way after going thrue a saw every season. I finely broke down and bought a sthil. Salsman garanted me that it would idle and not die if I sat it down and that it would not stall out. He was right! It has cut more wood than any three other saws I have had and still runs like new.
    TOOLS