In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ron Howard movie, "The Missing"

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I really had high expectations for this film, but was very disappointed. I thought it really fizzled out after the first few minutes. I forced myself to watch it for about an hour then I couldn't take it anymore. Had the same reaction to the Kevin Costner film "Open Range", I figured with Robert Duvall, it would be a new classic, but it was pretty boring and predictable. I guess no western is going to come close to my two favorites, Lonesome Dove and Unforgiven.

Chris8161
Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!

Comments

• idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmm...I loved open range and must admit that this is the first bad review that I've heard about it.
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the review. I'll not rush to see it now. I rated Open Range a 4 on my scale of 1 to 10 too. Maybe I was expecting another Lonesome Dove...which, btw, is on this Saturday.....I love that movie....[:D][^]
  • goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just watched The Missing today, it's a 137 minute waste of time.
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    With Lonesome Dove being the exception, If it doesn't have Clint Eastwood or John Wayne in, it isn't worth seeing!

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe it's because I'm a Selleck/Sackett fan, but I rank these up there with others mentioned:

The Sacketts
    The Shadow Riders (also by Louis L'Amour)
    Quigley

Big Al
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    I just rented it tonight (The Missing)and plan on watching it tomorrow! I hopeI like it better that you did. I did like Open Range though and bought it.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You cannot compare Lonsome Dove to any movie. You have to set it aside or all of the others will pale in comparision. Don

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GEEEZ...I've never seen Lonesome Dove. Is my education incomplete?
    I liked Open Range.
    I like Selleck's movies, too.
    I guess when you grew up with all the "ol' time" cowboys, westerns get in your blood.

Mudge the geezer

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,502 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Robert Duvall is a great actor.
    Lonesome Dove, great western.
    I call that other guy, Saint Kevin of Cosner.
    When he did that Oscar winning pile where he deserted to the Sioux, it was apparent that he took himself way too seriously.
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Mudge, I have never seen Lonesome Dove either, heck I thought it was a t.v. series???
    I liked the Sackets and most of the "Centinial" series and was wheened on movies like "The Sons of Katy Elder", "Eldorado", Rio Grande", "Big Jake", McClintoc, ect ect. Quigley was good and I liked Open Range. Unforgiven is one of my favorites but the Outlaw Josey Wales is definately my favorite Eastwood movie. Jeramiah Johnson was awsome and the Mountain Men with Charleton Heston and Brian Keith was good. A Man Called Horse is a really cool movie too.I only wish they would make more Westerns and Mountain Men movies. Now Im going to have to go rent the Missing and see if its any good. If nothing else maybe if they make enough money on these types of movies Holyweird will start making more of them.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Never seen Lonsome Dove either.
    I really liked Open Range and bought a copy as well.

Quigley rates as one of my favorites and heck I even liked Silverado.

Guess I just like westerns period, predictable or not.

JuJu(Have Computer, will travel, wire JuJu, Cocoa, Florida)
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    juju-4GodandCountry-Mudge-I'm jealous of you that you have never seen Lonesome Dove. You have such a great movie experience ahead of you. You have to rent it and watch it sometome. Set the time aside, and make an occasion of it. You will not regret it.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The missing reminded me of the John Wayne film the searchers.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Missing got pretty luke warm reviews from the critics as well.

Lonesome Dove put me to sleep.[xx(] Ok, flame away.[:(]

He Dog
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I rented The Missing and Open Range. Thay were two of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Kept waiting for them to get interesting. Never happened.
    I used to love Lonse Dove the series when it was the Outlaw years.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.