In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Liability Issues

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited January 2005 in General Discussion
I realize that several individuals sell guns here on GB. Lets say a gun you sell to Joe Blow in Wisconsin blows up in his face and he is badly injured. Can you be sued ? Im sure the next thing you would say is he should of had this checked by a gunsmith before he used it but I know that many do not. Thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good point. In this country, anyone can sue anyone else for anything, including looking at him cross-eyed. Standard legal procedure in any torte case is to sue everyone connected to the case, but make sure that at least one of the defendants has deep pockets. Even the ones without deep pockets could end up with substantial legal bills.

I don't know of any firearms case where this has happened, but it is definitely possible. If you have any assets, it's probably a good idea to add an umbrella policy to your homeowners insurance policy; these umbrella policies, usually written for $1M or more, will protect you against this sort of thing, & aren't expensive.

Neal