In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TRADES ON GUN BROKER

AVALON FARMERAVALON FARMER Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
Searched Gun Broker and can not find if trades are acceptable; actually listing "will accept trades" in GB ads. Anyone know the answer?

Comments

• Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you got to trade.

We call it barter where I come from.[:D]

Trinity ++
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Sure, you can do trades. Gunbroker will charge the fee based on the final dollar value amount but nothing says those dollars have to be in the form of cash.
  • Options
    storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    if it involves a receiver, then it has to be processed by a legal FFL on both ends of the deal. This makes trading of guns not so desirable.

But, knives and accessories are legit so you can always trade some of that stuff to purchase a rifle or pistol.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    if it involves a receiver, then it has to be processed by a legal FFL on both ends of the deal. This makes trading of guns not so desirable.

It is rare, but...
    There are a couple of sellers on GunBroker who are in Texas and will do a FTF non dealer transer. There is even one private seller who will only sell face to face without dealer involvement.
  • Options
    WCIWCI Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had recently thought about it as well. I have been running into a lot of people wanting to trade X handgun for Y rifle or shotgun. All where a little far away like four to five hour drive each way. I had thought about doing it through GB and mailing each other the stuff. Don't know if GB would add any security to the deal. I know it would have to go through a FFL. Leery about sending someone a gun and hoping they send me the one I'm supposed to get. Really don't think it would work too well. At least when you sell one you don't ship till the funds clear.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd trade some, but it would have to be FTF....there is no way I would ship a gun to someone with the hopes that they are shipping a gun to me at the same time. Just wouldn't work...for me

If I buy something on an auction site I pay with a credit card, so if its fraudulent I can cancel payment...can't cancel payment if you ship someone a gun, and they screw you...even if its a dispute over the condition of the item, once they have your gun your SOL, once they have your gun they can alter its condition, function and alter its value..just my opinion
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    I'd trade some, but it would have to be FTF....there is no way I would ship a gun to someone with the hopes that they are shipping a gun to me at the same time. Just wouldn't work....

The seller should always wait to ship until they receive their payment...in whatever form that may be.

As Spider pointed out, GB still gets their fees based on the final auction value...so it should not be a problem.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Contact Gunbroker support over on the auction side. The auctions are structured to have a dollar amount at the close of auction. How do you do that?

Perhaps the buyer will have to use recently sold items as a guide when using a dollar amount? The other trader has to pay via goods, not cash. You should wait until his gun is delivered to you, the same as if it were cash. Also, suppose someone else outbids your auction? Contact customer support. Best, Joe
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some jars of home made grape jam, and some fresh deer jerky.

What do ya have to trade?[:D]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun trading on GB is pretty much a non-starter.

If I am selling a gun, what are the odds that one of the folks out there who wants it currently owns a gun that I want & wants to swap? And, has a feedback record that meets my requirements, & vice versa?

Far easier to sell what you have, & buy what you want.

Neal