In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Current Remington Quality??

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in General Discussion
I have a couple of older Remington 870s and I am very impressed with the quality. What is most important to me is every time I pull the trigger the 870 goes BANG!! I have never had a failure to feed, never had a problem of any kind. It is kind of hard to beat absolutely zero problems!

I am now needing an 870 20 gauge youth model. I have heard there are quality control issues at Remington. What have all of you heard??

If I don't go with an 870, what would be a good alternative in the same price range?? My first thought is Mossburg but I know nothing about Mossburg shotguns. Any thoughts on Mossburg or other possible choices?? Thanks all!!

Comments

• Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher
    I have a couple of older Remington 870s and I am very impressed with the quality. What is most important to me is every time I pull the trigger the 870 goes BANG!! I have never had a failure to feed, never had a problem of any kind. It is kind of hard to beat absolutely zero problems!

I am now needing an 870 20 gauge youth model. I have heard there are quality control issues at Remington. What have all of you heard??

If I don't go with an 870, what would be a good alternative in the same price range?? My first thought is Mossburg but I know nothing about Mossburg shotguns. Any thoughts on Mossburg or other possible choices?? Thanks all!!

Can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500/590 in my opinion. I also have a Winchester 1300, that will reliably feed the Aguilla mini-shells. (13 in the tube, is nice.)

I've recently purchased a Reminton 8615 Police 5.56 Pump Carbine. I've been very pleased with it. I have also been hearing about Remington QC issues for several years now. Hit or Miss? I don't know.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******
    edited November -1
    If it were me, I'd look for an older 870 youth.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway

+1

One with the metal trigger guard
    RLTW

• Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree older Remington s had better quality
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Older Remington or a Benelli Nova
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two years ago I purchased a couple of 870's for my son. One was a camo for turkey hunting and the other just a wood stocked one. Neither would extract shells reliably after firing, you would be lucky to extract three in a row before having a problem. Chambers were very rough and had to be polished out. Find an older one.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dealer had to send back 2 Mossbergs last week, wouldn't function. He ordered two and both went back. As above find an older version BUT i AM SURE THE PRICES ARE GOING WAY UP.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Idahobound

While I like the Benelli Nova and Super Nova, (own both,) they are not in the same price range as the Firearms he is discussing.
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brother recently purchased an 870 slug gun for a texas pig hunt.
    I've only handled it a little. Points like a dream but the action seems a kinda "gritty". That could likely get better with use. I'm sure it hasn't had more than a couple boxes af shells through it.
    He loves it.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the bankruptcy I reckon they loosened up their quality control further.

Love my Mossy with duo arms. Like butta.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three Remington 1100s. I plan to keep all three until they carry me out of here feet first. I wouldn't buy a new Remington anything for any amount of money.

Buy a used one, but make sure it was made when they had a quality control guy.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an 887 and sold it quickly. I now have a Beretta, in fact all of my shotguns are Italian now.
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    quote:Originally posted by Idahobound

While I like the Benelli Nova and Super Nova, (own both,) they are not in the same price range as the Firearms he is discussing.

On the auction side difference between NIB youth 870 and a NIB youth Nova is 60-80 bucks. Well worth it in my opinion.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The QC has been slipping over the last years. IMHO, I would stay away from "Big Green" until they fix their QC issues. Can really pin point the date they started circling the drain, but just after Y2K seems about right.

If you can get an older 870 or 1100, you will have a quality piece.

Older Rems such as the 722, 721, 725 and 700s before 2000 are great bolt guns.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,065 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    +++ another,,
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    usmarshal01usmarshal01 Member Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta love those Mossbergs had one with 3 barrels never let me down not the prettiest gun in the field but they never quit,Almost bought one for my grandson but a sweet little Ithaca model 37 got in the way
  • Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher

If you can't put your hands on the gun that you want, buy an older model. I found a nice youth model 870 20 gauge at a local gun shop, BNIB, and I am pleased with it. My son has turkey hunted with it for 2 seasons now without any problems. It goes bang every time the trigger is pulled. I put some adjustable rifle sights on the vent rib to allow for proper aiming for him. Seems to have helped him shoot POA/POI. YMMV! Good luck!
  • Options
    Heavy ChevyHeavy Chevy Member Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Winny 1300! Fine pump gun.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a new 1100 about 2 years ago. I bought an extra barrel, but it wouldn't fit. Customer service said they have changed several parts on the 870 & 1100 for "standardization", but there is no way to identify which parts fit which guns.

Neal