In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Credit Card Fraudulent Charges

retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in General Discussion
I received an eMail today claiming possible fraudulent charges had shown up.

Ever vigilant concerning eMail scams... I checked my account manually by telephone.
And yep... Fraudulent charges were there.
One yesterday... Four today.
The one from yesterday was from Lithuania Lebanon.
The four today were from Brazil. A half a world away!

My guess is that the relevant distance between the two locales tipped off the system.

The charges were small... Totalling less than $20 in all.
My guess is, these were tests to see if the account was good.

Well... NOT anymore. [;)]

New account number was issued and a card mailed today.
The existing charges are supposed to be scrubbed in the next 72 hours.

Going to start checking my accounts more often.

Comments

• Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Your CC company has a good algorithm.

I once got a phone call while I was in a gun store, having just bought a lump of firearms and ammo. [:)]

"Did you just make a purchase at _____? " yep. Sez I. "Just checking". And we were all on our way.

It's good to know they are looking out for you!!
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happened to me once years ago. I was looking at a Dell computer online, and called to ask a few questions first.
    I got some young guy on the phone, and when I had decided to buy it, he asked if I wanted to order now instead of over the internet.

Gave him my card number, and all was well,.....or so I thought. Two days later, over the weekend, my CC company called and asked about some strange charges. Someone had joined three online dating services the same day.

Let's see,.....young guy with my credit card info,......dating services,.......bingo. Anyway, same outcome as you Robert. A new card, and all charges wiped, plus they wanted all of the info about the Dell rep.

The CC guy said if nothing else a harsh talk might keep him from trying it again. That was my only occurence of any CC problems.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That card hasn't been used in over three months.
    The last time I used it was IHOP (International House Of Pancakes)...
    I guess the cooks went home... With my credit card info!

I rarely use my credit cards and when I do... I check the charge and make a payment.
    Had I not gotten notice today, I'd found it in a couple more days anyway.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I check my account every day....sometimes twice a day because of how many on line transactions I do. I have so many transactions that go in and come out of my account that I have to check the balance often to keep up with what is going on.

About 6 months ago my bank called to verify a transaction....they do this all of the time. It is a automated thing and I just push #1 if the transaction is valid. Normally....it is the USPS shipping they call to verify.....but this time it was ROSES bought in Italy!!!! Ummmm....no.....I wish....but NO.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The first charge I thought was in Lithuania... I was wrong.

I just checked... It was $2.00 to BETALEBANON.org, a legitimate site in Lebanon "BETALEBANON.org"
    "Beirut for the Ethical Treatment of Animals"

My guess is the perpetrator was testing the number for validity.

The other four charges are in Brazil as I understood.
    Two for "CLARO OPERADORA 9101" at $4.17 'Merchandise'
    and Two for "RECARGA TIM" at $7.51 'Phone and Cable'...
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Last month I got two charges from a pet ship in Brazil, each for under $2. In my case I travel a lot so Chase is used to seeing charges from around the world show up on my account...But not for two bucks. I flagged them as bogus and that was the end of that.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever your credit card calls it use virtual numbers when you buy by phone or the inter-net.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Move along folks, nothing to see here.

The banks have known for years that SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) technology is not secure. (Note that your bank & cc company have websites starting with https, the s supposedly meaning "secure".) It can be bypassed or hacked, but the banks accept the losses as the cost of doing business.

There are computer security companies that have effective systems to reduce most fraud. When it is financially worth their investment, the banks will change to better systems.

Neal