In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My Daughter Told me Today that only

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
4% of the 1600 churches in Houston opened their doors to flood victims. And of course the largest church in the U.S. run by Joel Osteen with over 43,000 parishioners had their doors locked.

Comments

• Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    a lot of them probably had people that couldn't get to the church to open it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    it took him awhile to open it. took a lot of flack over that. and I don't consider joel osteen a preacher. so really don't see that place as a church. more of a feel good get together.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,238 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is sad.

I worked Hurrican relief in Lafayette Louisiana after Hurricane Andrew, and that storm was a real bad *.
    I was there for a week and the number one group providing on-the-scene relief was the Christian groups. Salvation Army, big Baptist churches, etc.

Way way ahead of Red Cross and, of course, FEMA.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Olsteen is a TV preacher. About as believable as TV wrestling... Same people watch both programs. I'm sure Six Flags over Jesus here (Woodstock Baptist Church) would open their doors for a fee...
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Olsteen is a TV preacher. About as believable as TV wrestling... Same people watch both programs. I'm sure Six Flags over Jesus here (Woodstock Baptist Church) would open their doors for a fee...

Very well put!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I still cant refer to him as a preacher. a motivational speaker. very well paid
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hope he is sent packing on a mission to Ethiopia to find Jesus
  • Options
    kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The picture I saw showed flooding inside his church.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,009 ******
    edited November -1
    [:(][:(][:(][:(]
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snopes says that BS. Most of them that could, have opened their doors including Osteens

And you say that he has the biggest church in the United States, that's another BS story. There's 14.8 million people that belong to the LDS Church in the world and only 44% live in the United States. That's over 6.5 million people that are LDS in the United States. So as you can see Olsteen does not have the largest church in the United States.

They have a great thing called the internet that you can check on facts before you post them here. That way at least you'll be posting the truth instead of fake news. You might try using it occasionally

By the way here's a link that says Olsteen's has opened his doors

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/29/us/joel-osteen-houston-megachurch-criticism/index.html
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    Snopes says that BS. Most of them that could, have opened their doors including Osteens

And you say that he has the biggest church in the United States, that's another BS story. There's 14.8 million people that belong to the LDS Church in the world and only 44% live in the United States. That's over 6.5 million people that are LDS in the United States. So as you can see Olsteen does not have the largest church in the United States.

They have a great thing called the internet that you can check on facts before you post them here. That way at least you'll be posting the truth instead of fake news. You might try using it occasionally

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/29/us/joel-osteen-houston-megachurch-criticism/index.html

They also have this great thing now called context, and it wouldn't hurt you to use the proper one on occasion. Your response is an excellent example.

You see, when you use that great thing called the internet, and look at weekly attendance numbers of "megachurches", Osteen does have the biggest church, so Armilite was right after all, and that typical, predictable cocky slant you put to your reply wasn't necessary. Highlighted in red above, no Snopes needed.

"Context", remember?[;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well first realize at least 1/2 the so called churches [temples or whatever] are tax scams.
  • Options
    edited November -1

NOT MY WORDS BUT FROM THE INTERNET

quote:
    Take me to the megachurch. These super-sized Protestant houses of worship are strewn across the country and especially the South. The Hartford Institute for Religious Research, which compiles data on megachurches (defined as having a weekly attendance of more than 2,000), shows 1,643 megachurches in the U.S.
    Only California (219) has more megachurches than the 207 in Texas. And Houston alone has 37, including the country?s largest congregation at the Lakewood Church where pastor superstar Joel Osteen is in charge. Osteen and several other preachers have achieved rock star status in evangelical Christian circles. They sermonize on multiple big screens inside their churches, and reach thousands more congregants through online streams of their service.
    Osteen and several other preachers have achieved rock star status in evangelical Christian circles. They sermonize on multiple big screens inside their churches, reach thousands more congregants through online streams of their service and sell millions of books. Best-selling author Lee Strobel recently joined The Woodlands Church as a teaching pastor, as detailed on HoustonChronicle.com.
    Still, these megachurches are largely a southern phenomenon. Up north, four New England states have no megachurches at all.
    See the slideshow for a look at some of the most colossal congregations in Texas.

And he didn't open his church until some pressure was exerted by outside groups.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen

They also have this great thing now called context, and it wouldn't hurt you to use the proper one on occasion. Your response is an excellent example.

You see, when you use that great thing called the internet, and look at weekly attendance numbers of "megachurches", Osteen does have the biggest church, so Armilite was right after all, and that typical, predictable cocky slant you put to your reply wasn't necessary. Highlighted in red above, no Snopes needed.

"Context", remember?[;)]

Thank You.[^][^]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to give Osteen the benefit of the doubt.

He said that his church was used as a distribution center from the beginning, & I have no reason to doubt him. His "church" is actually a re-purposed sports arena with fixed seats on concrete risers. Not really a good place for folks who need a place to eat, bathe, & sleep. There were better choices in Houston.

When things got bad, he DID open the doors the refugees. I don't know if they have flat meeting rooms, cots, showers, or a place to eat. But, I think that he did what was needed.

Neal