In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unreasonable or that's what it is?

AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
So I've been looking at this particular gun for a while now. To avoid hurt feelings and such, I will alter the facts slightly, but keep the numbers in proportion.

It has been listed several times on the auction site with a reserve price and an ask price. Let's say the ask price is listed as $3000 and every time it is relisted, the bids go up to $1000 and stop there. I am interested in this item, but not to the tune of $3000 (not worth that much to me).

So my question is, is the seller being unreasonable with the ask price if nobody is bidding more than a third of the ask price or is the right buyer not on GB?

Comments

• Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bid what you are willing to pay and be done with it.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    You can always contact the seller and ask any question you want.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    bid what you are willing to pay and be done with it.

BIN's are usually a lot higher than what the gun is actually worth, usually....Once in a while sellers get lucky and someone is looking for that exact thing and they want it NOW...and they have to pay for it. However, bid what you think it is worth, the reserve might be $1250, who knows. Or as Chris mentioned, email the seller and see what's going on.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    There are the guys out there that are looking for a sucker. If they can get more than it is worth they will sell otherwise they will just hang on to it.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no "unreasonable" price to the seller. He can sell it (or list it!) for a million dollars, if he wants. It is HIS PROPERTY, and he can do with it, what he likes.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simple, but that is how it works.

Merc
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask him. He might negotiate a different price with you, but go through GunBroker to assure yourself of not getting ripped off or screwing GB out of their commission. That is only fair, since it cost GB to list the gun. You can also look and see what this gun sold for at other places or auctions. Look at auctions on GB that have ended. I have negotiated prices with people or dealers through GunBroker, and they came down. I have also sold some on here after being asked to move my price. I have been watching a Winchester model 88 in 243, being offered on GunBroker, for over two years now. It has not moved from the 2,500 asking price. I bought one in almost perfect condition for 1,000. He has it listed as part of the "Carmichael" collection, what ever the hell that is. Doesn't mean a hill of beans to me. Good luck and hopefully you two will make a deal. Just remember to keep it through GunBroker and feel secure. Oakie
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Advance Search" may help your quest.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bought a couple of guns on GB that had been listed for a long time with a high reserve or starting bid by negotiating what I thought was an acceptable price with the seller.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course it could just be that the wife wants him to sell it and he is making sure nobody will want to buy it.[}:)][:D]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally I do not bid in Reserve auctions.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    since it has been relisted a few times, maybe he just didn't know and he will soon get the message that it's not going to sell for what he's asking and he needs to lower the reserve if he's ever going to sell it. I wouldn't pass judgment quite yet.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Personally I do not bid in Reserve auctions.
    yep me neither
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    A few years back there was a shotgun listed on GB and I forget how the process went, but I made an offer that the seller accepted and so the auction was closed at that price. It seems to me that the offer was below the starting price and I don't recall there being a buy it now price. So you might send a "ask the seller a question" and see how serious he/she is about selling the item.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If listing and re-listing fees were charged, it would cut down on auctions like this, but then that would cut down on the variety of auctions too. Sounds like someone trolling for impulse buyers.
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually I checked the past auctions and seems like the highest bid that is currently on there is a pretty good offer. I certainly wouldn't go higher than that.

I should just stick to my usual habit of filtering reserved auctions out.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    There is a custom pistol made originally by a famous PISTOL SMITH
    It has been on this site since I joined "over 10 years ago"
    I know it is the same pistol because it has a very damaged front sight it has never met reserve even thou it has been bid at least 2 Times what other pistols have sold for by the same pistol smith without the damage. I guess because the seller says it has "SPECIAL " sights
    makes you wonder I have emailed him once a year to tell him about the damage and to look at the other pistols by this pistol smith "GILES" to see the damage goes right over his head