In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Deer deterrent (non-lethal, please)

spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
edited June 2002 in General Discussion
Looking for suggestions to deter deer from eating plantings, specifically grapevine shoots being trained to an arbor.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Stops deer from damaging your valuable shrubs and trees
    What Is Deer Off?
    Deer Off is a deer repellent providing double the protection with its patented DUAL DETERENT? system. It prevents deer damage by providing both an odor and a taste barrier. Deer Off's active ingredients are all-natural food based ingredients including eggs, hot pepper, and garlic. Deer Off is weather resistant in that it is effective for up to 3 months. It will not wash off in rain or snow. It is now in the approval process of the EPA to become approved as a repellent for other pest s such as rabbits, squirrels, pigeons, and others.

How Does It Work?
    The Deer-Off solution produces an odor and taste factor that is offensive to animaLs but is mild enough not to bother humans. This highly effective food-based product deters deer from browsing on valuable ornamental plants, flowers, shrubs, and trees. Because the deer do not like Deer Off's scent and taste they choose to browse elsewhere. Deer often return to a site which they've recently visited "just to check", but since Deer Off lasts over 3 months, those additional visits simply convince the deer to cross your yard off their visiting list.

How To Use Deer Off
    Deer Off is registered for protecting bulbs, flowers, trees, shrubs, seedlings. It comes as a spray either in a Ready To Use container or as a concentrate that is mixed in a compression sprayer or spritzer bottle. Make sure you shake the bottle well before spraying. Deer Off should be applied when air temperatures are above 40F. You should avoid spraying the product when the vegetation is already wet or if it is a windy day.

The RTU quart spray bottle should treat up to 500 square feet of area or about 50 shrubs under four feet tall. The concentrate, when mixed with water, should cover about 4000 square feet of yard. Deer Off is not appropriate for edible food crops in the vegetable garden. It is useful on fruit trees in their dormant stage, but not when fruit is set.

In most cases, Deer Off is needed only once in a season because of its long term effectiveness. Deer just get tired of trying and leave your yard for some other territory. By spraying towards the end of November to the beginning of December, you will continue to protect your plantings through February. In the late fall and winter months, in order to protect evergreen shrubs from loss of moisture, winter kill, windburn and drought, use an anti-desiccant along with Deer Off. This process doubles your protection.

Spray leaves, stems and branches thoroughly until run-off or the leaves look wet.

Protect Bulbs - Dip your bulbs in Deer Off concentrate for approximately 5 minutes before planting to protect against damage from deer, and other animals. Allow the bulbs to dry before planting them.

For More Information
    For more information about deer see Dealing with Deer in Yardener's Helper.

CLICK HERE FOR A COPY OF THE EPA LABEL FOR THIS PRODUCT

To Purchase Deer Off
    Deer Off can be purchased from Gardens Alive!. To order call 1-812-537-5108 or visit their web site at www.gardensalive.com

#7024 Quart: ready-to-use pump bottle $17.99

#7027 Pint: Concentrate (makes one gallon of spray) $19.99

One woman's opinion
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to a beauty shop. Have them save the hair they sweep of the floor. Hair holds oders for a very long time. Depending on what you wont to protect, You can put it in bags, And hang it in trees, Or just scatter it on the ground.

The most important things, Are not things.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roger the beauty shop, I also posted this in the firearms forum.It really does work.

Best wishes!

Rugster
  • Options
    4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    You could try reasoning with them, explain to them that if they continue eating your grapevines that you will be forced to purchase your grapes from the store and they are expensive. If that doesn't work then you could plant something they like better than your grapevines. Or you could shoot them in the head with a 7mm magnum that allways works...

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....
  • Options
    pigeoncreek1pigeoncreek1 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try moth balls...it keeps them out of my garden

Gun control is hitting your target
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    LION POOP:::::::You might find this amusing, but it works, If you live near a zoo , go get a truckload of LION POOP, (they gladly give it away), It works, spread it around your garden, No more deer.

Yes, I did it, I used to live Near Fort Knox Ky, which is infested with deer, I could go to my 2 acre garden any evening and find 10 to 20 deer in the garden. Got the lion poop and NO MORE DEER

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I've also heard that Irish Spring soap is a good repelant. That might explain why I didn't see very many deer when bowhunting many years back.
  • Options
    rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    How about a good DAWG?

Respect those who protect us now just as you would those who died for us in the past.
  • Options
    beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've also heard that hair works but the best I've actually used that worked was monofilament (clear) fishing line. Buy some cheap fence posts and string the clear fishing line around the schrubs or plants you want to protect. String it several layers high . The deer cannot see it and when they walk into it they get very scared and run away. The deer destroyed many of my ornamental trees by rutting until I used the clear fishline. It works!
  • Options
    ghost614ghost614 Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i heard the scent of human urine scares them. that's right, all you gotta do is piss all over the place.
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cheap perfume. The kind that is so loud it makes your eyes water.
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your local conservation club should be able to furnish you with a game control technician who might be able to assist. I would be willing to travel this fall and take care of the problem. Are any of these theives wearing a crown, of say ,10 points or more?

Normally I get paid quite a lot for game control but since your are trying to save the fruit of the vine, I can make an exception.
  • Options
    Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorta what clasic said but urine. My brother had a christmas tree farm planted and through one of his arbour/ agge catalogs they sold Panther Piss. Let me tell you what we went from having a butt load of deer to no deer, that stuff works
    Rich

Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The urine thing has been written about in some hunting mags. One article, and I tried this, said that deer urine an human urine were similar. It advised a hunter to urinate on a scrape if one was found while hunting. I have done this and it hasn't deterred the bucks from coming back to the same scrape.