In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

indianapolis star (newspaper) stinks

Annie-OAnnie-O Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
indy star will no longer accept ads from private individuals for the sale of firearms.you now must have a FFL to place ad.
anybody else have this issue with their newspaper?[:(!][:(!]

cg1.gif

Comments

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Crawfordsville, the local radio station doesn't allow firearms or fireworks to be advertised on "Swap Shop" where people call in with items for sale, trade, or wanted to buy. As far as I know, the local rag still takes classified ads for guns.

I'm sure this has to do with the lawsuit happy culture we now live in.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is the stupidest thing I have heard today.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's terrible. One more shovel of earth on the newspaper's coffin, if you ask me. The newspapers around here are barely getting by as it is. Besides, Indiana is strongly pro-gun-rights, and I imagine gun owners will complain to them about it. Our "classifieds paper," the Peddler's Post, tried to ban ads regarding assault weapons only, but their ad copiers were so ignorant about guns in general that they couldn't differentiate. So they finally gave up and allowed them all back IN.

To ban ads for all private transactions when paperless transactions are perfectly legal in Indiana strikes me as not in the spirit of their public service charter. They're acting like the editorial board runs the classifieds, and maybe they do, but it's wrong.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Everybody who subscribes to this paper needs to put pen to paper and tell them how you feel about this. Then put some teeth to it and go to their advertisers, the people who pay their salaries, tell them you won't do business with them and why. Another 20 years of this and you'll need a permit to talk about guns.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    since automobiles are used in crimes and drunk driving, etc. maybe that newspaper should only accept automobile ads from car dealers. Makes about as much sense to me since both guns and cars are legal to buy and own.

We have the KC Star here that is extrmely anti-gun. Whenver I have a chance I always refer to it as the"K.C. Red Star"

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    This is simply another example of the UN infiltrated media trying to install tyranny through the gradual erosion of the 2nd ammendment.
    This newspaper should be immediatly boycotted.

~Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour~
    ~ Proud member of the NRA and The John Birch Society~.
    ~Supporting the 2nd Ammendment and United States Sovereignty~

-Below are my favorite guns to shoot-
    Taurus PT22,Ruger KP4C, and Remington 597 rifles.
    H_22B3.jpgKP4C1.jpgRemingtons.jpg
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Denver Post and the Rocky Mountain News banned all "non FFL" firearms ads years ago. One of these papers bought out the other a few years back (don't know which bought who, don't care) but the price for a regular classified ad went to over $50. That is their cheapest ad. Talk about the size of the classifieds shrinking. Their subscription cost, per year, also went from about $6 a year, to over $60 a year. I canceled my subscription to the paper when they quit taking firearms ads, and told them why. I do not think they care. I will not buy either paper now.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well A-O, we still have the Trader. At least for now!

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Annie-O I've veiwed that liberal lying rag as bad as of three years ago. Know a lot of people here who cancelled they subscription to that paper. Your Martinsville neighbor.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."