In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Least Respected Profession/ Occupation

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
jd had an interesting post that made me post this one. I can think of my first two, but I don't want to influence...

How about it guys?

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    * Gas Station Attendant/Clerk

* Fast Food Worker

I have absolutely no respect for any job that requires minimal effort skill. I respect the person for doing the job, instead of collecting welfare, but not the job.

Screw Allah & Have a Great Day!
    faces.jpg
  • Options
    loader44loader44 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bad Lawyers & RealEstate agents.

loader44
  • Options
    cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    garbage men,.and school janitors

th_sign.jpg
    th_P1010032.jpg
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those people that mop the floors at peep shoes.[xx(][xx(][xx(]

americashapeflag.gif
    "If I'm ignorant, that's the first I've heard of it"
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I do agree with gas station attendant and fast food workers I think it is more that they are taken for granted, and some that I have seen deserve no respect ,Garbage collectors are in that too

Lawyers and used car sales men in general suck, and have you ever noticed that taxi cab, and tow truck drivers all think that they have superior intelligence above everyone, but for some reason never got the break they needed to run the freakin country {some meat cutters too}
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Pawnbrokers and Security Guards.

[;)][:p][:0][}:)]

If your beliefs are based in ignorance, LOGIC is the first casuality...

topcat1.jpg Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]---Sucessful PIMP, in a small town, in the Mid East--[;)][;)][:p][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • Options
    Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guy who pumps out my septic tank. He wanted ten dollars to expose the lid. It is only three inches deep. I dug it myself.

MLMorgan
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    CNA's
    Janitor's
    Oil Changer's
    Lawn Mower's

Larry
    gunanimation.gif
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    Those people that mop the floors at peep shoes.[xx(][xx(][xx(]

americashapeflag.gif
    "If I'm ignorant, that's the first I've heard of it"

That was the first job I ever had.

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippo-blue1.gif
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Proctologist...they spend years busting their * in school...
    only to spend years probing busted *.[xx(]
  • Options
    RJ53RJ53 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    frankcastle13frankcastle13 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those guys that have to clean up horse crap after parades and at horse race tracks. lol how degrading.
  • Options
    sst531sst531 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Professional athletes
    2. Reality TV show host
    3. Fast food franchise owner
    4. Small business owner who sells T-shirts and other such junk
    5. Government contractors of any service/product
    6. Journalists/media personalities
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    respect is measured in wage. thus, the least respected profession is sewing machine operator. this has been a worldwide fact on record for years.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    LOL, I guess most of you would hate me, Seems I've done a lot of those jobs. hehe.

edited November -1
    44, I forgot about real estate.

1911, man that is harsh. I rebuilt and sold used cars for 35 years!

Dan, you are just sick!

You guys disappoint me. How about elected officials?????

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I forgot about

* Insurance Salesmen
    * Car Salesmen
    * Encyclopedia Salesmen
    * Vaccuum Cleaner Salesman
    * Jehova's Witness Salesman
    * Morman Salesman
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Additionally;

Any Affirmative Action Hire in any Job
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lawyers
    Politicians
    Journalists
    College professors (getting paid to listen to yourself say the same things day after day year after year. How narcissistic can you be?)

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone who works for the ACLU. Toll Booth Attendants, Mall Security, Bathroom attendants, Especially the one working at the DNC, a $#!+ stain who cleans up after $#!+ stains. Javelin catcher, any akmed raghead who is now customer service because your favorite manufacturer outsourced to india. Guy at intersection holding sign "will work for food", yeah right. cha cha cha

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I am suprised that no one mentioned the oldest profession in the world,, Prostitution,, hated by wives, hunted by police, spoken of in disgust by the patrons that use them..

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    nomadictaonomadictao Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Politicians, politicians, politicians.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Professional Welfare Queen
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Profession.....Politican

Occupation.....Speed trap cop
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I may be a little biased here,BUT,anyone in the automotive repair field certainly doesn't get the respect they deserve.Especially the collision repair field.

Now don't get me wrong.Mechanics don't have an easy job by any stretch of the imagination,but most repairs are pretty straight forward once the problem is diagnosed.

Step One;Plug car into computer for diagnosis.

Step Two;Replace faulty sensor(or whatever's causing the problem).

Step Three;Test drive to make sure it's fixed.

Step Four;Charge customer over retail price for parts and at least $80 per hour,INCLUDING DIAGNOSTIC TIME!

Step five;Smile all the way to the bank.

Collision repair,on the other hand,is much different.

First off,NO TWO WRECKS ARE THE SAME!

Every job is different.We don't have a machine that we can plug in to tell us what to do.We have to figure it out ourselves.

Step One;Contact insurance company and learn that they want an "Estimate" before they'll do anything.

Step Two;Estimator goes out on the lot with a sheet of paper and a pen and looks at this mangled up piece of machinery to make notes of all the visable and some not so visable damage.

Step Three;Go back into office and manualy enter all info into computer and arrive at an "Estimate of Repairs".

Step Four;Contact Ins. Co. with estimate and find out that they'll send out one of their appraisers.(So why did I waste my time[?])

Step Five;Wait sometimes several days for their guy to show up.

NOTE:The customer is usually in a rental vehicle by now and the clock is ticking.

Step Six;Appraiser finally shows up.He/She may or may not want to look at the estimate that I may have spent 2-3 hours preparing after lookin' it over real good.(Many times,after hours so I can do it undisturbed.)

Step Seven;Appraiser spends about 15 minutes makin' an estimate that overlooks a bunch of stuff because he wasn't interested in what I saw.

Step Eight;Appraiser hands me his estimate that's about half of what mine was because of omitted items and the fact that he's figured mostly aftermarket,re-built or used parts for an almost new car that's still under factory warranty.

Step Nine;We argue.

Step Ten;We agree that a "Supplement" will be in order once it get's torn down and we see all the stuff we couldn't see before.

Has anyone noticed that I'm through TEN STEPS and we haven't even touched the car yet?Also keep in mind that the clock is ticking on that rental car and the ins.co.usually won't pay for more than 30 days.A $9-$10,000 job can easily take a month or more to complete.

Now that the "EASY" part is done.

Step Eleven;Tear it down.

Step Twelve;Make notes of all "hidden" damage.

Step Thirteen;Contact appraiser about additional damage.

Step Fourteen;Wait for the appraiser to come back out and re-inspect.

Step Fifteen;Meet with appraiser and get approval to continue.

NOW!!Keep in mind that this may have taken a couple of weeks,the rental car clock is still ticking and except for the tear-down time,which we have to do anyway,WE DON'T GET PAID A DIME FOR ALL THE HASSLE!!

Step Sixteen;FINALLY get some parts ordered.

Step Seventeen;Wait for parts(usually a day or so)

Step Eighteen;Pick up a truck load of parts,unload it all,check that all parts appear to be correct by part number.BTW,most parts are delivered to my door,but some require a hundred mile round trip.WHICH WE DON'T GET PAID FOR!

Step Nineteen;FINALLY get to workin' on it.

Step Twenty;Explain to the rental car agency that it's gonna be more than 30 days.

Step Twenty-one;Explain to the Insurance Co. that the reason for it takin' so long is because we were waiting on their sorry * for two weeks before we could get anything moving.

Step Twenty-Two;Contact appraiser again because we've found some more hidden damage.

Step Twenty-Three;Wait

Step Twenty-Four;Meet w/appraiser again.

Step Twenty-Five;Continue on with vigor.

Step Twenty-Six;Discover that some of the parts were boxed wrong and we got rights instead of lefts.

Step Twenty-Seven;Re-Order parts.

Step Twenty-Eight;Wait.

Step Twenty-Nine;Finally get all the parts right and just to make this long story short,I'll say WE FINALLY FINISH THE CAR!

Step Thirty;Customer picks up the car,is very satisfied with repairs,but is PISSED OFF at the insurance company for expecting him/her to pay for all rental over 30 days.

Step Thirty-one;Contact Company and get it straight that the customer is not payin' any additional rental because it was their fault that it took so long to get the damned thing fixed in the first place.

Step Thirty-Two;Turn in supplement to Ins.Co.(This can be several thousand of MY dollars)

Step Thirty-Three;We wait for payment.

Step Thirty-Four;Explain supplement to ins.co.(why did the appraiser come out to look at everything?)

Step Thirty-Five;Maybe,finally,weeks after the job is finished,we finally get paid.

And all of this is at no more than retail price on the parts(sometimes less) and at a $40 per hour labor rate.HALF OF THE NORMAL MECHANICAL RATE!

Smile all the way to the bank[?][?]

Forget it! I'm lucky if we broke even.[:(][V]

Anybody want to buy a body shop[?]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Politician and or lawyer [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    2nd A N G L I C O
  • Options
    stevegsteveg Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how about the ones who clean porta potties
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jdyer
    I have absolutely no respect for any job that requires minimal effort skill. I respect the person for doing the job, instead of collecting welfare, but not the job.

There seems to be a common misconception that service workers are by class either unskilled, lazy or stupid, working at dead-end jobs as only alternative to welfare. Nothing could be further from the truth. The vast majority of service workers I know are either on their way to becoming something or have already been something and are now retired and supplementing income. And the people for whom I have absolutely no respect are smug, uneducated tradespeople and middle managers who have gone as far as they will ever go in mundane, tedious, predictable, go-nowhere, secure little jobs that allow them to think they are better than service workers because they own a boat and have health insurance.
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    quote:Originally posted by jdyer

There seems to be a common misconception that service workers are by class either unskilled, lazy or stupid, working at dead-end jobs as only alternative to welfare. Nothing could be further from the truth. The vast majority of service workers I know are either on their way to becoming something or have already been something and are now retired and supplementing income. And the people for whom I have absolutely no respect are smug, uneducated tradespeople and middle managers who have gone as far as they will ever go in mundane, tedious, predictable, go-nowhere, secure little jobs that allow them to think they are better than service workers because they own a boat and have health insurance.

Right bleening on!

mnd.jpg
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Meth cook.

I'm a law-abiding citizen. I'm a live-and-let-live kinda cat who used to smoke weed in my youth and who has drunk enought whiskey to give the 7th Fleet a hangover, so I try not to judge people based on their vices. With one exception.
    Meth cooks.
    I think they should be hunted down like vermin and hung on the fence to serve as warning to other meth cooks.
    There should be a bounty on meth cooks.
    We should be able to round meth cooks up and shoot them like hoof and mouth-infected horses in pens.
    I hate meth cooks with every fiber of my being.
    Thanks for letting me spew my one absolute hatred.
    It's like therapy.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quikdraw67

10-4. get some rope, and I'll come visit.
    I just hate diggig f-ing holes!

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"
    [/quote]

Shouldn't be a problem, meth heads ("tweakers")are full of nervous energy, anyway. The ones I see around town could stand in one place and wiggle six feet down in an hour.

Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Colonel Plink -
    thank god we don't have that problem here (yet)

If you don't get the problem there, it's due to extreme vigilance by law enforcement and law-abiding citizens. As a drug problem alone, Meth is worse than anything I've ever seen. From law enforcement to emergency medical services to drug counselling and social services, the manufacture and use of bathtub methamphetamine has steamrolled everyone involved in it's prevention. They're just starting from WAY behind the problem here in rural Colorado and throughout the midwest. I'm not frightened by much, but tweakers get a wide berth from me. They make the 1980's Cocaine Cowboys from South America look like altar boys.

Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I did not mean to hijack the thread.

Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Col. Plink -

we had a meth head shoot and kill 2 sheriff's deputy's 2 countys over, but not yet here. the kiddies seem to like crack and heron better[V]

You don't know how I hate to hear that. My youngest brother was a sheriff's deputy here in Logan County until a year ago when he moved to KCMO. I worried about him constantly. My heart goes out to the deputies' families.

Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by interstatepawnllc
    Pawnbrokers and Security Guards.

[;)][:p][:0][}:)]

If your beliefs are based in ignorance, LOGIC is the first casuality...

topcat1.jpg Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif

Hey!.......That's what I was going to say.[:0]

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    picture.GIF
    picture.JPG
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tele-marketers!

Sako Fan
  • Options
    muleridermulerider Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know folks that are foster parents for the money, not the kids, and DHS is hand in hand with em.....they milk the system and trash the kids.....

Also, welfare queens.....and we reward this?

Politicians that work under the table with the the above...

I don't have kids, and have never had trouble with the above, but have seen the abuses of the system.....unreal.

Meth cooks....may they all toast in their lab accidents!

Don't pick on my mule, and we'll get along just fine!
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Nurse, speaking as a nurse.

york.bmp"No taxation without representation, Join the NRA"
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sell (almost) nobody short!!

Held my share of no respect jobs while on my way to becoming something: paper delivery boy while in high school, french fry cook while at undergraduate level, and mouse cage cleaning technician while at post grad level.

At least, I wasn't a telemarketer!

2002-05-21-shark.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis".