In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Man Pinned Under ATV Shoots Himself

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited August 2002 in General Discussion
According to gun week a publication of the second Ammendment Foundation.A Salem Oregon man Trapped under an ATV,apparently shot himself to death with a .45 caliber Handgun.The body of Michael Craven age54 apparently backed off a ledge while turning his ATV around on a narrow path.According to the Linn County Sheriffs Depthe was reported missing July 18,three days later his truck was found parked at the location of the trail.His body was found pinned under the ATV about six miles on the trail,and he had used the .45acp to Shoot himself.

Rugster

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was it an accidental discharge, or was he putting himself out of misery?

Sounds like one of them freak things that just happen.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be my guess that he was in intense pain and had little hope of rescue. Since it took 3 days to find him, that's a long time without painkillers with an ATV sitting on you. Perhaps he weighed the pros and cons, maybe he already had a fatal illness, even. We don't know. Likelihood of an AD is low, because if it had looked that way it wouldn't have made the news, at least not implying that he shot himself.

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The article didnt come right out and say that for obvious family reasons,But yeah I think he was in dire pain and give up all hope of rescue.Really sad article!

Rugster
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Truly sad. But in another sense, perhaps it was fortunate for him that he had the means to cut the suffering short? Don't think anyone who was not in his shoes at that precise moment will ever be able to evaluate it.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    How could you be unable to get out from under an ATV? Even with a broken back you'd think you could get it off you with your arms.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    mybadodgemybadodge Member Posts: 118 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, the article did say he backed off a hill so I'm sure by the time he was finished tumbling, and the atv came crashing onto him from a roll, he was pretty messed up. All sorts of scenarios could be drawn up with this one...sad story none the less.

Bob
  • Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    My honda weighs 600# dry weight,if hurt bad enough I do not believe I could get it off of me but I would do my best.This a sad thing to happen.Rugster, I missed you at the gun show

"It was like that when I got here".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I really hate I missed you guys I had done planned on taking off.Just so happened My Marriage anniversary fell on the 27,And there was no way to make it.I tried to get her to head that way and find a place to stay,no such luck.I hope to go to the one in Roanoke are any of you guys coming to it?Im looking for a few guns to buy and,most of all I would like to get up with you guys!!

Best!!

Rugster
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Truly a sad and frightening way to die. Just another good example of why a cell phone is almost a necessary piece of equipment when
    hunting, hiking,fishing etc.

A buddy of mine had a heart attack a few years back while hunting. Luckily he was in ground blind at the time. His cell phone is what saved him.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    William --
    Good point. Gun owners need to remember there are at least four levels of help you can carry depending on the problem and the size of the problem. You may need non-lethal force like pepper spray for a dog or other nuisance that is only somewhat dangerous, a cell phone for 911 or a tow truck, a knife for defense or clearing a binding or a seat belt -- and a gun.

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    edited November -1
    William --
    Good point. Gun owners need to remember there are at least four levels of help you can carry depending on the problem and the size of the problem. You may need non-lethal force like pepper spray for a dog or other nuisance that is only somewhat dangerous, a cell phone for 911 or a tow truck, a knife for defense or clearing a binding or a seat belt -- and a gun.

- Life NRA Member
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had a deer hunter who fell out of his tree stand and got hung upside down in his safety harness. He had a cell phone, used it, and directed help to where he was hanging by his foot.