In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Garmin GPS Units.

aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
I have been looking at the Garmin GPS 12 and E-Trex Units and am going to buy one from a dealer. Most salesmen don't have first hand knowledge on their use. I would like to hear from some users of these units to help make up my mind on which to buy. I am not going to use one to hunt or hike with, only to check where I've been and to retrace my routes. I mainly am just going to be playing around with the unit. Any info will be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aby80you'd do good to get a garmin. I have one and do mostly just play aroud with it. When you do decide on one you want, check out geocaching.com. It's a site that was created by some people a few years back. It has a searchable listing of things that people have hidden, historical sites, things of interest, etc. If you want to spend a day or longer looking for stuff when playing around, this would be a good place to start. All you have to do is enter the coordinates they provide.[This message has been edited by Brth729 (edited 04-08-2002).]
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Don't waste your money on that Garmin when you can get a Magellan for a lot cheaper. I love mine.
    It has become my purpose in life to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back when I ran off shore,And was shopping for a GPS.I called the man at NASA who was in charge of the system.I asked him which one to bye.He said he had one word for me Garmin.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there a service that needs to be purchased for one of those thingamajigs or do you just charge/install batteries and turn it on?
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just buy & turn on. I have bought two at auction & sold one here. If you buy one thathas maps you will probably want to buy better maps & memory chips. They are VERY expensive. Again try the auction sites for both maps & memory chips. You will soon be able to buy a wide variety of cell phones with built-in GPS. You can also buy GPS capibility on hand held computers. They also work nicely with lap-tops & then you can have much better mapping.
  • Options
    reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought the garmin gps 12. With all the checking I did everyone recommended the garmin. These came from businesses and from people I know that have dealt with both. The garmin is definitly better.
    Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm nut, it's free, just turn it on.I've tried both. A Garmin E-trex and a Magellan 315. I borrowed a Garmin and it worked great BUT it did not appear to have the ability to store details about each stored wavepoint. It may have been my ignorance though. The Magellan worked just a "hair" slower but it had the ability to put a few lines of notes with each stored wavepoint, very simply. This is very important to me when marking various hunting spots within a general area. Just six or seven characters is not enough to differentiate between locations, I got to have more info.For instance, I need more information than boatra1, boatra2, etc. for different boat ramps. Again, the Magellan defintely had the simple simon way to do this. Does anyone know if the Garmin can do this?Magellan 315 at Cabelas is $144, maybe less if your local Wally World stocks them.
    Them ducks is wary.
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have used both. Like Magel for permanent mount and Gar for hand held.
    The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is very interesting to me, now for a fella who has no knowledge about these high tech toys that always seem to know where you are, what should a newbie look for. If these gadgets are as smart as I hear I need one. I could use one for the early morning treks into the woods during archery season, this would be better than using bright eyes so every dingbat in the county knows where to look for your deer. Can I get one that would get me within a couple feet of a particular tree? Can I just go scouting and make notes and mark good spots with it? Educate me!
  • Options
    Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mmSome of the more elaborate ones you can get to take you to an exact spot.