In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SHOULDNT WE DEMAND THAT THIS CRIME BE PROSECUTED??

Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
SARAH BRADY ADMITS IN HER BOOK THAT SHE BOUGHT A GUN FOR HER SON.THE FIRST QUESTION ON THE ATF FORM(I FORGET THE FORM#) IS "ARE YOU THE FINAL OWNER OF THIS FIREARM" TO BUY THE GUN SHE HAD TO CHECK THE YES BOX.SO TO BUY THE GUN FOR HER SON SHE LIED,ISNT THIS A CRIME THAT NEEDS TO BE PROSECUTED??
Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need to step back and take note that shenannigans are typical of the anti-gun crowd. Let's not walk so quickly into a set trap. If we jump up and down and holler about this then she can use our own words against us by say that "even law-abiding gun owners feel that private transactions should be illegal". I know that we would only be pushing for the enforcement of the laws that are on the books but she didn't violate federal law. She MAY have violated state law but I don't live in her state. I don't pay taxes to her state. I don't vote in her state. Hence, I don't have a whole hell of a lot to say what her state does with her.I also believe that the timing of this information is VERY fishy. It came out right when her new book was about to be released. Apparently it needed a little something to bring it into the spotlight because sales aren't great and even Klinton hasn't been able to do much about that either.[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 03-30-2002).]
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    If we do then the left will say that even us gun owners think the gun laws are fair and enforceable (and they ain't fair at least). Let's just give her son a membership to every gun club in America and that be her punishment.Prosecution is just what they want us to cry to try to prove their point.
    There is no apology for self defense. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Boy- Ids has a good point, but damn- This is kind of case case of something being good for the goose, not the gander??Justice is supposed to be blind, but I know better. Some PIGS are more equal than us common swine.(WHAT is with all the barnyard refrencing???)
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    I don't like Sarah Brady any more than the rest of you, but the fact remains that there was no crime committed. It is perfectly legal under both Federal and Delaware law to purchase a firearm as a gift for another person as long as they can legally possess the firearm. The first question on the Form 4473 is NOT "Are you the final owner of the firearm?" It asks if you are the actual purchaser of the firearm. It also states that if you are purchasing the firearm as a gift, you are the purchaser. Her only crime was that of hypocrisy.[This message has been edited by EOD Guy (edited 03-30-2002).]
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let the word go forth: "Has fear of crime and terrorists driven Sarah Brady to buy herself a high powered rifle,such as SWATsnipers use, under the guise of procuringa hunting rifle for her son? When an antigunner like Sarah Brady feels the need tobuy a gun, violating everything she stands for, then there must be an underlying reason.Fear? Anger? Or does she know something we don't? Buy guns now, while you can!"
  • Options
    davcondavcon Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The real shock to me is that no pro-gun organization has jumped all over this. They ought to buy a full page ad in the USA Today announcing what a hypocrite sarah brady is. What a perfect opportunity to shut down one of this countries loudest voices to take away our rights to own guns.
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    I hope she starts getting all the junk shooting mail I have received after making purchases. Should send her an honorary NRA membership.... Welcome her in then when she turns back into the * she is - they have nothing to throw at us.......
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think two things are important here. First, it is not a federal crime to buy a gun to give as a gift, as long as there is no intent to provide the firearm to someone otherwise disqualified from buying it, etc.. There may be state laws that forbid such gifts, but federal law does not. From what I have read elsewhere about this matter, I think state law in her state requires all transfers, even to family members, to go through a licensed dealer, or that the receipient have a license or permit, or some other similar technical requirement that was not met when the rifle was given to the son. Second, the complexity of firearms laws can make an inadvertent criminal out of many a law-abiding citizen with no intent to commit a crime. A good example that comes up on these boards all the time is someone looking for a "Pre-Ban" Ruger Mini-14 so the forbidden "assault" features can be added to it now. There is no such thing as a pre-ban Mini-14, with some exceptions not usually involved in the typical post. Should we push equally hard for prosecution of the ignorant person who now adds an old folding stock to a Mini-14 made in 1975, and thereby ignorantly commits a federal felony?I say we should use this as an example of how firearms laws do not affect or deter criminals, and instead often inadvertently make criminals out of law-abiding citizens. We need to show we understand how easy it is to accidently break an unknown firearms law. Let this one go.
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    God help me for what I am about to type, but it is Easter weekend where we celebrate a resurrection.Rather than raise a firestorm of cries about hypocrisy and prosecution for laws that may or may not have been broken (I too have purchased a gun "for my son" who is 12, yes I am the purchasor and legal owner, but I hope you see my drift). And possibly stumble into a trap, I would like to propose a different approach.We should embrace, if not Sarah Brady then her son, and welcome them to the fold of gun owners and hunters. If someone knew them perhaps invite them to shoot and/or hunt! She may or may not be redeemable, BUT, I guarantee you will not win points with an attack and may alienate the son. He could over time gain valuable ground with her for the rest of us by espousing the joys of firearms ownership and use.I read an excerpt of the book in last weeks people magazine. The motivating factor cited for starting her crusade was not just the shooting of her husband. Some irresponsible person left a loaded handgun in the seat of his truck which her son (the same one is not known by me) got ahold of and was waiving around.I am ready and willing to accept any criticism from anyone on this site, but listen to what I am saying. We rant and rave against the lies and half-truths and over reaction cries for registration, banning, arrest etc. of responsible owners. How we handle this disclosure is a yardstick of our own intelligence. Please be careful.Thanks for reading.KC
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The CCRKBA has asked the BATF to look into this. Probably going to turn out to be much ado about nothing (apparently it is legal to purchase a firearm as a gift for a family member under her state law), even if she DOES seem to be a bit hypocritical here.
  • Options
    Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE ATF FORM.SORRY.I SEE THE POINT OF NOT RAISING TOO MUCH HELL,BUT ITS DAMN HYPOCRITICAL OF HER,WHICH I GUESS WAS MY POINT
    Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET