In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"LEGS?"

Jungle JimJungle Jim Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Beantole:If you were in the "Almost Airborne" 82nd., (and I liked the guys in it) then answer these questions.What is the sweat shed? How many parachutes do you carry to jump? Think hard, this is a trick question.Jim
"De Oppresso Liber"

Comments

• Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    How much paint does it take to paint the "Green Ramp"????
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was during what was supposed to be a routine operation for a parachute jump at Pope Air Force Base, North Carolina when the tragedy happened. There were approximately three hundred soldiers on the Green Ramp, checking equipment and waiting for the C141 Starlifter to refuel so they could load up and conduct their parachute jump. While these soldiers waited, a mid-air collision between a C-130 and a F-16 occurred overhead. The collision caused debris to fall on the ramp below injuring over 200 soldiers that day. That day the Green Ramp became a Red Ramp from our brothers blood.
  • Options
    OLD SF-EROLD SF-ER Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Airborne is only a means to infiltrate, you still have to fight your * off on the ground !Let's throw this one out as a topic starter,What's your favorite DZ ? Mine was DZ Sicily, which I had the hardest landing of my life while in the Q course and still walked away.
  • Options
    Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ....IDIOTS AND BIRD SH!# HA HAJUST KIDDIN'MY DAD WAS WITHT THE 173RD
    Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure about best, but the worst in the world HAS to be DZ Dotsauer in Hohenfels, FRG. There's more shtuff on the ground there for a guy to get impaled on than Carter has liver pills. Twisted and ankle AND did and foward PLF there in 91'.JJ- The name Harrison mean anything to you? And the Green Ramp Ques. wasn't for you, it was for Beantole.
    Had a buddy who was a 'Nam Vet, 68-70. I asked him once-"So why did they call you Jumpin' Junkies?""Well, some smoked, others jumped, but usually we did a lot of both and usually together"Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!![This message has been edited by Matt45 (edited 03-20-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey- Old SF-er,Welcome to the board!Nice to see another who actually earned a beret.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Matt,Didn't think that question was for me, but thought others might like to know about the travesty at the Green Ramp. Knew a Harrison that was in the Herd - 173rd., lost touch with him, though. Do you belong to the SFA?Old Sf'er & I are part of the Ft. Hood SFA Chapter- we'll be celebrating the 50th. Anniversary of SF in Fayetteville this June 17-23.
    "De Oppresso Liber"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was with AMFL in Europe (Belgium) and earned my wings at the Benning School for Wayward Boys. I never made it past SFAS, I was forced out medically, (They're funny about people trying to force march on a busted ankle) but I have quite a few buds who are from that general community.The guy I was refererring to is Jungle Jim Harrison, a well noted martial artist.My last 1st shirt, 95-96 Korea, was also 173rd the Herd, complete with a Gold star topping on his Ice Cream Cone. Can't remeber his name to save my life.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Matt,Oh, "that" Harrison! Know of him, but don't know him. We have several guys in our Chapter that have combat jump stars. SFAS is a pretty tough deal, as is a broken ankle. I have a couple of screws in my left one. At 53, I'm in pretty good shape compared to some of my brothers; seems like every other day I get commo that another brother has died. Don't know them all, but sure feel a sense of loss when they pass. Jim
    "De Oppresso Liber"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JJ-I know what you mean-Once when stationed at Ft Hood, I was fortunate enough to have gotten misdirected SW of Austin, no biggie it was a 3 day weekend and I was on my way to go camping along the Brazos.I stopped in a VFW Post to get my bearings, and mebbe a beer. I damn near fell over when the guy sitting at the bar I asked directions from turned around. I was face to face with MSG. Roy Beniviedes, USA (Ret.)One of my 1st Shirts in Germany, Jose "Joe" Montoya, served with him and used to speak of him often. Including about how he earned this little pale blue and white starred ribbon for his salad bar.Long story short, I left that post well after closing, most of my money still in my pocket, and with a pretty good buzz. The most important part is that I walked away proud that I could meet a figure from American history, and even prouder that he was "one of the boys".About 18 mos. later I heard on AFRTS Korea that he had passed on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Matt,Roy was a very special soldier and man.Five of us from the Ft. Hood SFA Chapter attended his funeral at Ft. Sam 12-23-98, and there were about 500 people there, including the honor guard burial team from 5th. Group, along with MG Ken Bowra the CG of JFK. Interestingly enough, MG Bowra has qualified for enough salad on his uniform to start his own buffet, only wore his CIB, Master wings, Pathfinder badge, and Free fall wings. There were also 6 other Texas CMOH winners there, and I watched him salute each one individually. At the SFA National Convention in Houston last year, a bust was unveiled of Roy; there is a GI Joe doll made in his likeness, and a NPO is in the works to help others in his honor. He was a true SF American hero, and we miss him.Jim
    "De Oppresso Liber"
  • Options
    Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DAD WAS IN THE HERD 69-70 IF YOU REQUEST ILL PASS ON ANY E-MAIL ADRESSES.MINE IS IN MY SIG LINE
    Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET