In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta 96 vs. HK USP .40

Pistol manPistol man Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Are these two guns about the same in accuracy and reliability? Iv heard HK is a very good gun, but havnt heard much about the beretta 96. Any info. will be very helpful.

Comments

• Options
    jastrjastr Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a beretta 92s, it is one of the most reliable guns on the market today.. my best friend chris carries a 96 in .40 cal and works for local pd... he swears by it.. I dont own an HK.. but I have heard nothing negative on this gun... I think your main issue will be price between the two....the berreta will be much cheaper. If price is not an issue ... check out the sig series ...Quite possibly the best built handgun on the market today!
    lets all be responsible! shoot a criminal!
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    buddy of mine just bought a H&K USP .40. I had the pleasure of shooting it this weekend. Nice gun. smooth. I don't know much or have much to compare it to, but the trigger was nice and the action smooth. Looks great too.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not think you can go wrong with either. I have fired both and currently own an HK USP.40 Compact. Great gun IMHO.
  • Options
    1blitzer1blitzer Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot the 96 and it felt like my 92. I own the H&k and like it also. Also I have experience with the Glocks.Both are fine and I am sure someone will bring up the military and the 92 cracking up, but that problem has been corrected(the metal impurities and the SMG rounds that were used for testing). Everyone has a favorite, pick which one fits your hand and budget best. Just stay away from the beretta cougar 40, since it is prone to have failures to extract
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both the 92/96 series beretta and also two usp's, one in 9mm and one in compact 40sw. The difference you ask? The beretta is more prone to malfunctions in extreme weather conditions... I live in NV and after a trip to the shooting grounds, both my Beretta's need to be cleaned otherwise extraction problems start to manifest in the suceeding trips. I also went through several gunsmiths and asked around about these occurences, same answer. Its just the way the firearm is. But accuracy wise, they are more acurate than the HK's (or so I was told...by almost everyone). Both my USP's have never had these problems even after half a dozen trips without cleaning. Also, another notable difference in these two is the balance of the firearm. The 96 seems to be lighter on the nose than the HK. I suggest you try each one out before you listen to anything we say...every person has a different take on these things, especially if your life will be depending on it.-smooth
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HK USP was designed to be a new generation military gun, and I see a lot of new design features on other brands copying aspects of HK USP. So I say, why not own a well-made original? Personally I'd go for the bigger caliber model.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BERRETTA IS ONE OF THE GUNS I HAVE NOT SHOT.I OWN AN HK AND LOVE IT.I AGREE WITH JASTR IN MY OPINION THE SIG IS BETTER THAN BOTH.I KNOW THIS IS HARD TO DO BUT I SUGGEST SHOOTING ALL OF THEM AND SETTLE ON THE ONE THAT YOU LIKE THE BEST
    Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET