In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Shooting Games for the PC?

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
What are the best/most realistic military/shooting/combat games available for running on a PC? Do they all need a joystick?
"The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."

Comments

• Options
    FitzFitz Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1st person shooters:Half-LifeUnreal Tournement(These are have a beer and shoot games, no thought necessary)Do NOT play with a joystick. You can, but no matter how good you get, others will always be better. Learn right from the beginning..use a mouse and keyboard)Flight Simms:(These come in 2 types: accurate plane modelling and lots of keys to remeber and basic fly and shoot games. I don't like the million key games. Happy medium are MS CFS2= Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2 ...3 is coming out soon) Best flying game for just fun, not realism: Crimson Skies(Use a joystick. MS Sidewinder Pro or Wingman are great and reasonably priced. Go to www.pricewatch.com. Don't go to a store)Combat Games: Ghost Recon (Special Ops squad... strategy and shooting)Usually mouse gamesFitz[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited 03-21-2002).]
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't overlook Close Combat III, IV, & V. They've been out awhile but awesome for WWII squad level action. You can pick then up pretty cheaply on eBay.
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fitz,I agree Ghost Recon is a great game, but it still lacks some realism. Give Operation Flashpoint a try. No stupid Threat Indicators, No EASY FOF Identification system, you can pick up ammo, 'nades, rifles, rockets on the battlefield, you can drive tons of vehicles from M1A's to Jeeps to Bombers. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention, you have the option of using IRON SITES!
  • Options
    Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Half-Life, Day of Defeat Version 2 kicks total *!!! There are light machine guns including the MG-42. That simply rocks. The best hands down.......
  • Options
    songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want a person verses the world type of game,try postal. Pretty fun songdog
    Be bold in what you stand for, careful in what you fall for.
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, I've been playing Mech Warrior 4, Vengence for a while now, and there is an expansion pack for it called Mech 4 Black Night. You are inside a mechanical robot type asault vehical that walks/runs on two legs. Stands about nine meters tall. As the game progresses from mission to mission, you aquire new and bigger/better mechs and weapons. player also gets assigned 'lance mates in their own mechs that you can order around. lots of stratagy, and a real challenge..play with a joystick, as not only do you control directions and speed, but also torso pivoting, which ands dificulty.
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought Postal when it first came out, couldn't get into it. Give me Unreal Tournament and a sniper rifle any day!
  • Options
    Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NASCAR HEAT????
    Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET