In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

U.N. wants to recognize gay partners

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
UN takes step towards recognizing gay partners
By Evelyn Leopold, Reuters

UNITED NATIONS, Jan 29 (Reuters) - The United Nations took a cautious step on Thursday in recognizing gay and unmarried heterosexual partnerships by deciding to grant health and other benefits to staff if their home country allows it.

Although a relatively small number of staff would be affected, the administrative order by Secretary-General Kofi Annan could lead to a muddle, with some wondering why standards differ according to nationalities and some General Assembly members questioning the entire action, diplomats said.

But Susan Allee, a founding member of GLOBE, the Gay and Lesbian or Bisexual Employees at the United Nations, said her group was "thrilled" at the announcement.

"It is a step toward acknowledgment that there is great diversity in the staff of the United Nations," said Allee, an American and an expert on Lebanon in the U.N. peacekeeping department.

According to a bulletin Annan issued on Jan. 20 but not released until Thursday, the United Nations would request permission from the country of origin of the staff member "to confirm the existence and validity of the domestic partnership contracted by the staff member under the law of that country."

U.N. spokesman Farhan Haq said the new ruling, which comes into force on Sunday, would have a great impact on unmarried heterosexual couples rather than gays.

While the Netherlands, Belgium and two Canadian provinces permit same-sex marriage, throughout Scandinavia governments offer extensive nonmarital partnership rights for gay and straight citizens, and less comprehensive rights are offered in most Western European nations, Australia and New Zealand.

In the United States, the federal government would be asked for a ruling, and U.N. officials assumed the answer would be "no." At the U.S. mission to the United Nations, an official told Reuters, "We just become aware of this proposal and we will look at it and subsequently provide a more definite response."

01/30/04 12:03 ET

Jacksonville.gif
sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
http://www.awbansunset.com/
Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yet another reason to get the UN the He!! out of the US and the US the He!! out of the UN . . . not like we needed any more.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Your Great State of Massachutts just did![:0][B)]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HHhhhmmmmmmmmm..... Looks like the UN may have some "Homosexual Tendencies," ...... for whatever that's worth. Nothing surprises me when it comes to the UN. Lost a lot of respect when they "stole the silverware" during their cafeteria worker's strike........ WoW!!!!

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just another tactic for the U.N. to get under our skin.
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gee, you would think the UN would recognize its gay partners by now.
    They're the ones in the "Elton John Rules" tee shirts.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gibbs, very few Americans consider Massholia part of the United States, especially me! Only use I had for the place disappeared with the Clean Water Act, when NH was required to stop using the rivers to deliver raw sewage to the appropriate destination immediately south of our border. This remains the "highest and best use" for the area in my estimation.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UN.bmp

sniper.gif

saddamgif.gif

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry