In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Quality Ice Skates Crucial?

robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Is it generally important to use high-quality hockey skates when you're first learning how to skate? My mother grabbed me a pair of the CCM bargain bins for about $65. After looking on their site I see some skates that cost $360+. How much of a difference are there between my $65 pair and a pair that costs 5 times as much?

signew.JPG

"In a world of compromise, some don't."

alf.gif

Comments

• jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    In rollerblading, a $200 set might be $120 the next year as new stuff comes out.

The better product will grip the foot better, have less flex.

In music, I've learned to play on crappy instruments. And sound so much better on the good stuff.

Maybe you want to start a notch higher than "bargin", maybe used; ask the H.S. hockey team coach.
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    It will make ZERO difference. As a matter of fact, they may be worse for you. The more expensive the skate, the stiffer it will be. That is not very comfortable for the average/pond/beginner skater. Part of the price in the higher end is the blade. You don't need a expensive stainless blade. To a better skater, there is a world of difference. Better fit because the skate will actually "mold" to the players foot, stiffer (read better if you are skating very hard), and the high end stainless will hold an edge longer. CCm's run wider than other brands so if ya have fat feet like me you got the right skates. If your feet are narrow, next time try Bauer.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    Alrighty, that's what I was hoping to hear bsally. I do like the loose fit for now because it gives me more room to work with my edges and be sure I can stay on them decently. Does the same ruling basically apply to the higher end roller hockey skates? Difference isn't that major?

signew.JPG

alf.gif
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Yep. But with inline you get better wheels and bearings. So, they will roll better and the wheels may be better for the surface you are on. When you are ready for good inlines or ice for that matter, email me.
    quote:I do like the loose fit for now because it gives me more room to work with my edges and be sure I can stay on them decently.

Just make sure they are not too loose. If they are, because they are so stiff, you will have blisters from he!!

SALLY
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bsally
    Yep. But with inline you get better wheels and bearings. So, they will roll better and the wheels may be better for the surface you are on. When you are ready for good inlines or ice for that matter, email me.
    quote:I do like the loose fit for now because it gives me more room to work with my edges and be sure I can stay on them decently.

Just make sure they are not too loose. If they are, because they are so stiff, you will have blisters from he!!

SALLY

Will do. I've spent half the day so far trying to conceptualize how one can hockey stop on inlines. I'll take your word for it that it's possible, but I'm still workin' out the mechanics of it[;)].

signew.JPG

alf.gif
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    robo what the hell is that pic of in your post?

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    all I see are klan members running with dogs? [:)]

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    *ahem* Notice the ALF in the picture? Animal Liberation Front

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry