In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

??? U.S. Cavalry

dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I was watching an old western movie last night and something occured to me. I wonder why the army (cavalry) did not utilize bayonets for the springfield trapdoor rifles. It would seem that based on the slow rate of fire capability of the rifles, reliability problems and the likelyhood of hand to hand combat it would have made sense to utilize such a weapon. Granted it would have been an extra piece of gear to haul around and not real condusive to mounted riders but one would think it would have been a very useful in situations such as custers last stand.

Comments

• PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I may be wrong but i believe the springfield trapdoor was equipped with bayonets, but the cav for whatever reasons didn't issue them. Could it be they were only issued for full size rifles, and not carbines?

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about Western/Cowboy fighting but I do know that during the Civil War, almost all cav units got rid of the bayonets for their guns quick! Too heavy and impracticle As a civil war reenactor and Cav. Trooper, I never ever take mine out...

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry