In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Here is a very rare Colt SAA

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in General Discussion
From what I have read Colt did not release any .44 Magnums to the public or put them in production.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=475580351

Comments

• Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    I could never own something like that. I don't believe in safe queens. I would shoot it and ruin it's value. Just like I could never own a rare car. I would drive it.
  • Options
    44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt played around with the SAA in .44 Magnum. One turned up at one of the big auction houses last year, don't remember what it sold for.
    Remember awhile back, Brian Pearce mentioned the Colt SAA in .44 Magnum, in an issue of Handloader Magazine, said it KICKED !!!!
    Still, a cool gun.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't Elmer Keith have an affection for the Colt SAA?
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I would never own anything like that, because I can't afford it!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44pinshooter
    Colt played around with the SAA in .44 Magnum. One turned up at one of the big auction houses last year, don't remember what it sold for.
    Remember awhile back, Brian Pearce mentioned the Colt SAA in .44 Magnum, in an issue of Handloader Magazine, said it KICKED !!!!
    Still, a cool gun.

That is a prototype. Maybe the magazine tested one but I can't find any information where Colt built and sold .44 Magnums.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately there are fake letters and box labels
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe it, as Keith used heavy loads in the SAA.
    In the early days of the 44m and other high power conversions to the SAA, in-frame firing pin conversions were felt to be necessary to prevent primers from piercing or flowing into the large SAA firing pin bushing hole, tying up the gun. The Ruger Blackhawk is a good arrangement to absolutely prevent that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    quote:Originally posted by 44pinshooter
    Still, a cool gun.

That is a prototype. Maybe the magazine tested one but I can't find any information where Colt built and sold .44 Magnums.

There were several made up as tool room prototypes. Colt never made any for sale. Brian Pearce talked about the Colt SAA in .44 Magnum in a story about the history of .44 Magnums. The tool room boys weren't too sure on the heat treating and the cylinder wall thickness...... So, the few they made just kinda' wandered into history. Same as the Python in .41 Magnum, the pieces did anyway, as it didn't "hang tough" with the proof loads. Poof... a memory.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It could have been done by Colt but they decided not to go forward. I just purchased this one Sunday afternoon a Ruger .44 Magnum, Yes it does kick but not anything that is uncomfortable.

DSCN2431_zpsc3stq3kf.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serial 44Mag17 suggests there are at least 16 others that were made. Looks to me like the top strap is thicker than as seen on the usual SAA. The seller thinks it's worth $14,500. I have no idea.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Why start it at $200 then set the reserve at over 14.5k???
    WHy not .01?
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    It's mine for now!

Oops, reserved not met.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    Didn't Elmer Keith have an affection for the Colt SAA?

Skeeter Skelton
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    Serial 44Mag17 suggests there are at least 16 others that were made. Looks to me like the top strap is thicker than as seen on the usual SAA. The seller thinks it's worth $14,500. I have no idea.

Cylinder is where pressure is.My Ruger has very very very little gap between cylinder and barrel. Maybe .003
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever. It still looks like Colt put a thicker top strap on this gun.

Keith did a lot of work with SAAs. He wrote about blowing up a few with hot loads.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    Whatever. It still looks like Colt put a thicker top strap on this gun.

Keith did a lot of work with SAAs. He wrote about blowing up a few with hot loads.

Keith blew up guns to see their strength. Experiment to see how strong and keep going. Some were .45 SAA Colts along with the Smith and Wessons. Anyone can overload a rd. and do it. Back then they had little or no way to test pressure, aside stretched and split casings.Top strap on my German SAA is .215 thick minus a .040 depth sighting groove bringing it to .175 thickness. My Ruger .44 is .245 Thick minus the .060 sighting groove making it .185 thickness. As I stated before the pressure in in the cylinder.