In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Civil War

searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Is about to start.

Comments

• searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Don't mean to be stirrin' up a pot here, boys, so if one of the mods wants to lock this before it goes south(or north), it's OK with me. I had kin on both sides. I'm reminded of a quote from the movie, "The Outlaw Josey Wales"

"I guess we all died a little in that damn war."
    edited November -1
    We all can read in history of how bloody the first US civil war was, so does anyone think it can't happen again?
    Are we to educated/sophisticated to allow another war like that on American soil?
    I read in the other thread about a soldier either obeying his commander or constitution.
    I really can't ever seeing it happen on a large scale.
    edited November -1
    ...well, do you think if HR 1022 passes or any other un-constitutional bill is passed a civil war should be in order?
    edited November -1
    I am reading about the Battle of Gettysburg and Pickett's charge. They keep refering to "the angle".

Would someone explain what is meant by the term angle. I know it has something to do with a stone fence and a grove of trees but I do not know the details.

Thanks

Rockton
    edited November -1
    i don't think they get it. succeed! no it ain't that way its gonna be a full blown revolution. but ,that's just a poor gun-less country boy thinking.if anybody goes looking ill be in the swamp
    NUBIE ON THAT BUCKER BROWN!!!!
    edited November -1
    Mexico's civil war ignites in America

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=78548

The Mexican government and the drug cartels that operate throughout Mexico are locked in a battle over control of the country. With the Mexican army fully deployed and often fighting ex-Mexican army special forces working for the cartels, this is, in scope and casualties, truly a civil war.

To date this year, some 3,500 Mexicans have died in this war. In just the first 15 days of October, there were 387 deaths in Mexico City, 178 in the state of Chihuahua and 90 in Baja California - all attributable to the government versus cartel war.

Were it not for the fact that the cartels are also frequently at war with one another, they might have won the war by now and would be in control of Mexico.

The National Association of Former Border Patrol Officers extracts and condenses stories that appear in the Mexican press on a daily basis. For the English reader, this site is a frightening window into the war in Mexico not available in the American press.

NAFBPO, for example, ran an English translation of the lead article from the Oct. 17 edition of El Universal (Mexico City) which included this grisly information:

"Confrontations by Mexican federal and state forces against groups believed to be linked with organized crime produced 33 deaths in Mexico (City) between Wednesday night and Thursday ... a shootout took place between military personnel and men in a vehicle south of Ciudad Juarez ... a human head was found in the center of town in Chihuahua City; the body was located in Santa Eulalia, some 20 kilometers away."

Such stories run every day in newspapers throughout Mexico whose owners, editors and reporters and their families are under constant threat from the drug cartels.

Execution-style murders, beheadings, dismemberings and kidnappings are common now in every state in Mexico on a daily basis. Gun battles are near nightly events in Tijuana and in Mexican towns all along the border. Mexican border town officials have crossed into the U.S. seeking asylum, fearing for their lives.

The U.S. State Department has issued a travel alert warning American tourists that Mexico is too dangerous. U.S. "Drug Czar" John Walters was in Mexico City last week assuring the Mexican government that more U.S. aid to fight the drug cartels is "in the pipeline."

(Column continues below)

And now the bad news: The Mexican civil war is spilling over into the U.S.

Reports of incursions into the U.S. by heavily armed men in Mexican army uniforms (and often driving U.S.-made Humvees) now occur on a regular basis. Sometimes the "soldiers" are cartel men, probably ex-Mexican army; sometimes they are real Mexican army. In every case, their purpose is to protect a drug run into the U.S. and back off any lightly armed local sheriff or Border Patrol agent in the way.

The Border Patrol has issued new guidelines for its officers, fearful that any day now, a full blown firefight on U.S. soil will make headlines in both countries.

The Mexican civil war came to Las Vegas, Nev., last week and 6-year-old Cole Puffinburger, 48 pounds and barely 4 feet tall, was its victim.

A group of three Latino men with "heavy accents" and wearing police uniforms invaded the home where Cole and his mother lived, tied up the mother and her current boyfriend, ransacked the house looking for money, and abducted Cole.

Las Vegas is a major distribution point for drugs coming from Mexico into the U.S. The Mexican drug cartels have bought up foreclosed houses in northeastern and southeastern Las Vegas as way stations for drug shipments and as safe houses.

The Las Vegas police, assisted by the FBI, DEA and ICE, theorize that the home invasion and abduction resulted from Cole's grandfather keeping millions of dollars of cartel drug profits instead of laundering the money back to Mexico.

The 51-year-old grandfather, Clemens Fred Tinnemeyer, reportedly owed the cartel between $8 million and $20 million. He was arrested last weekend in Riverside, Calif. A Mexican national, Jesus Gastelum, is being sought as a "person of interest."

At the time of this column, here has been no word as of Cole's whereabouts.

In large and small ways, the violence of the Mexican civil war has come to the U.S. - to my community and yours.

It's past time for the American government to secure the border and crack down on the cartels.
    edited November -1
    [:D]

1126_am-update-war.jpg

Tommorow[:o)]
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5
    Don't mean to be stirrin' up a pot here, boys, so if one of the mods wants to lock this before it goes south(or north), it's OK with me. I had kin on both sides. I'm reminded of a quote from the movie, "The Outlaw Josey Wales"

"I guess we all died a little in that damn war."

Yup, it is a sad day in history. Brother against brother and cousin against cousin. 140 years later and the rage continues with in families and friends.

Lance
  • BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An argument can be made that without the Civil War, Europe would not have thought much of the resolve of the USA as a political entity
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Y'all talking about the Wahr of Nawthurn Agression agin?
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Have you ever wondered why there are so many US govt military installations in the SOUTH. They know the WAR aint over[:0]
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen a handful of the military installations in the South. They're poop-holes. Pieces of this planet that no one else wanted.
  • hooch31Lhooch31L Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    Have you ever wondered why there are so many US govt military installations in the SOUTH. They know the WAR aint over[:0]

Would take too long to teach southerners how to drive in snow. Also sucks to do PT in a blizzard.
    edited November -1
    Z- the only large Army post up north is Ft Drum. All the really big ones are in the South-Jackson Gordon Stewart Bragg Benning Cambell Rucker Hood Bliss Sill. Then comes Parris Island- Lejune- Cherry Point[;)] Ft Riley and Ft Leonard Wood FT Belvore
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just wish teachers north and south of the mason dixson line would get history right, before they start teaching it. The civil war was about unfair taxes more so then slavery. Slavery was a way to break the south (imho). I had family on all 3 sides of the war the north the south and some irish that came over as indenture servents. But in school all i was taught was about the slavery not much on the tax part
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    I suppose to be with Hancock or Armistead on July the 3 would have been awful interesting.
    edited November -1
    Ft. Bragg, NC is the largest military installation in the world.
    As to southerners driving on snow, last time I looked soldiers come from every state in the union. As a retired state LEO I can say that northerners don't know how to drive on ice. So what? Where you are from is what you have learned. I only hear this crap from yankees. I guess living in the snowy dung holes up north makes you think you are somehow better than everyone else, and you don't talk funny like everyone else either. One thing I can count on around here is that most yankees are loud, rude and boring. And more arriving every day. Can't figure why they want to come south it's so wonderful in the north.
    Just ponder this. The South wanted states to make their own determinations based on the Constitution, states rights not given to the Federal Government. What is happening right now?
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Any installation (military or other) that has any worth is located there because the South is the only place in the country fit for human habitation. [;)]
  • tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    or it could be said that, northerners don't know enough to get out of the cold.......and so on and so on....(BTW I am one, northerner, albeit a transplant to the south) BUT, the real question is, with things in the good olde US of A, the way they are.......WHY are we wasting time engaging in activities that divide us, and not focusing on unifying, which is the only chance we have to turn things around?????? Please tell me that we can progress to that point. Really
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tpacuriosity
    or it could be said that, northerners don't know enough to get out of the cold.......and so on and so on....(BTW I am one, northerner, albeit a transplant to the south) BUT, the real question is, with things in the good olde US of A, the way they are.......WHY are we wasting time engaging in activities that divide us, and not focusing on unifying, which is the only chance we have to turn things around?????? Please tell me that we can progress to that point. Really

Isn't that the truth of the matter!
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    140 years is nothing. Serbs and Croats a thousand-Brits hating Irish for 1500 years- Chinese and Japanese 2000- Arabs vs Jews 4000years
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    There is very little truth in U.S.A. history. It will probably get worse.
  • Lonestar86Lonestar86 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong

That's why the NUKES are in ND and Montana...[;)]
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    Any installation (military or other) that has any worth is located there because the South is the only place in the country fit for human habitation. [;)]

+1

And, when was the last time you heard of a Southerner retiring UP NORTH??????????????????

• JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    As to southerners driving on snow, last time I looked soldiers come from every state in the union. As a retired state LEO I can say that northerners don't know how to drive on ice. So what? Where you are from is what you have learned.
    Back around the 1980s I was in a hardware store on Virginia Beach Boulevard. We had just got about two inches of snow and a car rammed the rear of another car out front. The customer checking out said "Damn! These people in Virginia just can't drive in the snow!" The man behind the counter said "I'll bet you five dollars neither one of those cars is from Virginia." The customer took the bet. They went out and looked at the tags. One was from Maine and the other one was from New York.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a retired state LEO I can say that northerners don't know how to drive on ice. So what? Where you are from is what you have learned. I only hear this crap from yankees. I guess living in the snowy paradise up north makes you think you are somehow better than everyone else, and you don't talk funny like everyone else either.

At least up here we don't shut down entire states because of one inch of snow.[;)][:D]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1
    Lonestar-More nukes in South carolina than ND. Pomflant in Goose Creek has most of the Navy warheads For FBM subs. St Marys Ga has a bunch too[:D] Plus The Savannah River Site in SC still makes nuke components[:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic
    As a retired state LEO I can say that northerners don't know how to drive on ice. So what? Where you are from is what you have learned. I only hear this crap from yankees. I guess living in the snowy paradise up north makes you think you are somehow better than everyone else, and you don't talk funny like everyone else either.

At least up here we don't shut down entire states because of one inch of snow.[;)][:D]
    Takes a little more than 1 inch but it wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for all those yankees clogging the highways.[:D][:D][8D]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We still have grits .