In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

selling commercial property

53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Has anyone here ever sold commercial property without involving a relator or real estate atty?

Wifes' parents willed to her and her brother a very sweet piece of comm. property.

My idiot BIL is ready to take the first offer, because he wants money. He is ready to believe this gal, we have never known before now, and claims herself to be an interested party.
Claims she will do the whole deal for a piece of the pie. RIGHT!
Another guy claims to be an investor, who has a real estate lic. and he is trying to get us to sign a contract connecting our 5.5 acres to his 5 acre hwy frontage and offer a package deal.

This property will sell by the square foot due to location and new development in the area. (hospital and environs)

I have told BIL we (his sister, my wife) and I will go for the best deal obviously, but will run any paper through a real estate attny before affixing any signature.

He (BIL) is worried about the cost of the atty. I said we just add that to the general closing costs.

He's worried about spending a thousand or more, but it could save us thousands in my opinion.

BIL is a tard, if I had a little more cash I'ld love to just buy him out and wait for a very nice price and OUR terms.

How do you communicate with the brain dead?[xx(]

Comments

• MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    You need to hire that lawyer to protect your interests and handle the paperwork. The property is half yours (wife's). You don't need his permission.
  • Rocky4windsRocky4winds Member Posts: 760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bought and sold one commercial property and bought another both without using a realtor, plus bought the property our house is now on without a realtor as well. While I don't have vast experience I will tell you that realtors are a waste of money if your property is local (close to you) and desirable and if you have a good real estate lawyer. I am fortunate because the lawyer I use does more real estate investing than lawyering so he knows the ins and outs.

Consider that a lawyer charges by the hour, a realtor gets a percent. So, if your lawyer spends 3 hours (which would be a LOT) at, say, $200/hour, you spent $600 plus title search and guarantee fees. If you use a realtor you just lost 10%. A residential realtor will get 5-6% but commercial is 10% at least here. If your property is $200,000 you just lost $20,000. My actual costs for both properties to close was less than $1000 not counting taxes.

Maybe this will help.
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you don't know the value of the property then you at least need a appraiser.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is jointly held both parties have to agree upon the selling terms. Get a real estate attorney that can handle the closing.
    Your attorney can write up a purchase agreement. No realtor needed. Get your property appraised before selling. Sell it at market value. Now see how many people come forward.