In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

All you auto repair dudes.

BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
edited May 2005 in General Discussion
I'm sittin' here in my office at the shop just bored silly.It's about 3:30 and the phone has only rung 4 times all day.Business overall is about as slow as I've ever seen it and it ain't just me.All the shops in town and in a 50 mile radius of here are havin' the same problem.And it's been this way for the most part for the past two years.We'll get a hot spell and be busy for a few weeks and then it goes to nothin' again for a couple of weeks.

Is it like this everywhere?

BW(watchin' the clock and tryin'to make conversation.)

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.

Comments

• Options
    duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    being retired from the shadetree mechanic industry, I'm being called to duty this evening to change the brakes on an '88 Jeep Cherokee. [:)]
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Usually got that way here in Phoenix. First week that it was over 90 degrees you'd be swamped with radiators, alternators, AC, and battery issues. Then it slows down until June-July when the temp goes up again. Feast or famine, that's what got me outta the business, you'd work 18hr days for a week then spend three days playing Xbox waiting for the phone to ring. Money's good but you screw your sleep schedule big time[xx(]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    Yeah we noticed that here as well if your not the dealership your not gonna get much business.

Revenge is a double edged sword that only kills its wielder

"Are you a photographer?"
    "No im a combat correspondant"
    "Well you seen much combat?"
    "Yeah I seen a little on TV"
    "Youre a real comedian"
    "Well they call me the Joker"
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Cyclonus,
    Even the dealerships around here are singin' the blues.

[:(][:(]
    BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    Rifleman30Rifleman30 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think part of the feast or famine problem is that everyone and their brother has a shingle out to fix autos.I come from a GM dealer background and our cash work dropped off drastically a few years ago when mass merchandisers got into the business. Now we have to share the pie with Midas,Meineke, Sears, Walmart,Pep Boys, Jiffy lube and etc.We could never compete with their prices as we sold oem parts and we as highly trained techs were payed quite a lot more than their guys were.You may say we were overpayed but I say to that: They know how to suck out your transmission fluid with a machine but I could remove and rebuild your transmission if told to do so.Auto Zone can send out some 20 something hairhead with multiple piercings to scan your car and sell you an oxygen sensor. I can diagnose your engine control system from end to end and provide a permanent repair.

Just when I thought I had gotten away it pulled me back in.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Yep, I specialized in oddball stuff like rotaries and Saabs so things were even more sporadic at times. So many places out there trying to underprice their competitors that it gets nuts sometimes. I started going on referral only, the business is more consistent and you don't have the marketing and moron customer hassles to deal with. If it's slow you might try dropping some cards off at the local parts shop with one of the counter guys, kick the guy back 5% of what you make on a job and they'll send you business all day. You get a mixed bag of customers but if it's slow you can't be picky

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is the economy in general. With gas over $2 a gallon, people don't have any free money. It is going to get MUCH worse than it is now.

If you believe that there "is no inflation" (according to the government) then you are a FOOL.

How can prices for virtually EVERYTHING go up at a wholesale level, and not cause price increases for the consumer? It can't.

Hold onto your hats, it is going to get much worse.

Merc

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. " - Al Capone, (1899-1947)

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BOBBYWINS
    Cyclonus,
    Even the dealerships around here are singin' the blues.

[:(][:(]
    BW
    Same here at Chevy ... but at least we're not laying people off like Pontiac, GMC and Cadillac ... of course it really helps that we have the biggest GM shop in town and any GM customer can take their vehicle to almost any GM Dealer they want!
    GBLogo-170x60.gif
    Member Since 8/29/1999
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    D@mn that sucks im guessing it has something to do with the foriegn cars flooding the country I suppose?

Revenge is a double edged sword that only kills its wielder

"Are you a photographer?"
    "No im a combat correspondant"
    "Well you seen much combat?"
    "Yeah I seen a little on TV"
    "Youre a real comedian"
    "Well they call me the Joker"
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put a new set of tires on the car yesterday on Memorial Day. Firestone dealer was not busy at all...[:D][:D]