In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More than 200 illegal Haitians run ashore in Miami

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in General Discussion
There is a poll here in Jax, FL asking whether they should be sent back. I voted that they should be sent back. However, something inside of me is troubling me, for what I really felt was that these people should have been shot in the water and shot jumping off the boat. I am not a Pacifist but I normally do not think this way. Am I losing it or are there others who feel this way?

(Miami-AP) -- The big Haitian runaway roundup has ended in Miami with the capture of 208 migrants who ran ashore from their freighter.

An eight-day journey at sea ended yesterday for more than 200 illegal Haitian immigrants when their freighter ran aground off Miami. They jumped overboard, rushing to shore and causing a traffic jam that lasted for hours.

The ordeal was seen in living rooms around the nation as T-V cameras on the ground and in helicopters overhead captured the arrests and the immigrants' frantic dash ashore. Border Patrol agents rounded up 208 migrants and another 21 remained on a Coast Guard ship.

The Coast Guard spotted the 50-foot wooden vessel yesterday and followed it for about two hours. The boat ran aground about 500 yards from shore and the immigrants ran to land near Hobie Beach on Virginia Key, just southeast of Miami's downtown.

Coast Guard personnel were seen pulling people from the water and throwing them life preservers; children were being transferred from the boat to people in the water.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I certainly do not welcome them here and I agree that they should be sent back.
    But on the otherhand if I was in there shoes I would probaly be doing the same thing, I would want better for my children and would do what I could to help them.
    I do not agree of the shooting of innocent children.
    This is just my opinion and I respectfully understand yours!!!!

GUNCONTROL
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    back on the boat they should go

when in doubt EMPTY the MAG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My statement was more hypothetical than reality. I certainly could not shoot an unarmed child. But in all aspects of this incident it is an invasion of the United States.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    It was brought up on the news tonight that these people have showed the terrorists just how easy it is to enter our country! We definatly need to come up with a better way of protecting our borders!!!

GUNCONTROL
  • Options
    SkydiveSkydive Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger, actually when I first read the news my first thought was plinking.

But seriously, think back in the early 80's when we were setting up camps for Cubans. These are dangerous times and our border security has to step up. I've heard people argue that we are a nation of immigrants. Well that was when we had an abundance of land and a lack of workers. It's no longer the case. We need to be a little more selective on who comes in.

That's just my 2.10358 cents. (you know, inflation)

I got a new shadow. I had to get rid of the other one... It wasn't doing what I was doing.
  • Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Coast Guard boat had been following this boat for a while. It should not have been allowed to get that close to our country. They were invading the country and should have been sunk long before it got as far as it did. The next boat would think twice about doing that. Also, the idiots that stopped and let these invaders jump in their vehicles and tried to escape authorities should be prosecuted or made to take these people into their homes. Just the way I feel...enough is enough.

muley

****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****VOTE****
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I make half the money I made 15 years ago because of illegal Mexicans here in Florida. Back in the 80's inFidel Castro emptied his prisons and put them on the amnesty boats headed for America.

America is a Melting Pot, and just like any other pot you can only put so much in before it overflows. It is time to stop the overflow. These people live on approx. one dollar a day, they come here and one welfare check is like a years worth of wages. If we are going to support the World than we should take over the World.

That last sentence was not made to be take literally.

• Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone who enters my country through proper legal process. Gets a job on the books and pays taxes has the right to call themselves an immigrant.

The ones that try to slip in, work under the table, and not pay thier way, are INVADERS and should be treated as such!!

Woods
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    X ring WoodsRunner. My parents came over here from Cuba over 35 years ago. Both worked, both pay taxes, and both have contributed something to this country in some way. My father owns his own business and works 6 1/2 days a week to support the family. These guys will take odd jobs and get paid under the table and not contribute one dime to this economy. Whatever they make here will be sent right back to Haiti to support the rest of the family that didn't have the cash to be shipped over here.

"The only way American citizens can adequately be protected from terror and violence is when" those in authority protect us from those who would harm us, instead of protecting us from ourselves.
  • Options
    4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    They should have never even gotten close to our shores. The Coast guard is so undermanned and underfunded that it is impossible for them to catch all the illegals entering our country "ala boat". These people, however, were spotted and the coast guard would not approach them because last year they had an incident where a bunch of illegals were killed after they panicked and abandoned their ship and over a hundred illegals drowned. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Things really suck in Haiti. I still believe, up to a point, in what's written on the plaque on the Statue of Liberty. If these people went to all that hassle (crossing an OCEAN) to get here, I'd check them out good and give them asylum if they deserve it. To me, this is not quite the same as simply sneaking over the Mexican borderline in the middle of the night. I can't put my finger on it, but it's different, maybe in courage or effort or something. The INS is talking about the "feet wet, feet dry" principle, which is funny, I'd never heard of that before. But I'd say their feet were dry by the time they hit the freeway.
  • Options
    thesoundguy1thesoundguy1 Member Posts: 680
    edited November -1
    If these people are allowed to stay in this country, then we can expect a whole slew of new refuges in the coming months.For the people who what these people to stay, let THEM, (those who insist the "boat people" be allowed to stay)pay for what ever services these people require! Not me! I'm struggling now! I have a struggling business that does not qualify for government assistence.But damnit, if I were an immigrant, or a minority, there are government assistance programs, and tax abatement programs, that are designed to make it practcally impossible for the business to fail.I'm not looking for gov't assistance. I'm just sick not being treated equal under the law!

www.waveformwear.com
    The new wave in free expression.
  • Options
    gad38gad38 Member Posts: 179
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the Dems are bringing in a few more votes to me......All they have to do is figure out a way to make these people citizens before the election.........LOL.....................Greg
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say send them back,not at our expense give them two old orrs each and put them back on the boat.

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    sharkman8810sharkman8810 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not believe that these people are "invaders" to our country. To be an invader they have to have intent on taking over and that thought alone is absurd. I believe that they should be sent back. They have the opportunity like any other foreign national to apply to visit the united states and get work visa's etc. They have no rights to preferred treatment, and all they are doing is taking advantage of geography. I dont believe they should be treated cruelly however, we live in a civilized society and as such we should treat others in an appropriate fashion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rugster;

That was Wrong of you to say give them "Two Old Orrs each".

They only need one each.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have they caught em' all yet? I've seen some locally.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    What the hell is the Coast Guard's job? To guard the coast? Why the hell would they just follow this boat all the way to our shores? For all they knew there could've been an atomic bomb aboard the damn thing.

Suppose a Chinese destroyer came cruising up? Would they just follow IT all the way to shore?

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WOW !

This Thread was a Year Today.
    How did you dig it up?

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trick or Treat Ruger !!!