In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

how thin is the barrel on an LCP--> micrometer

buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
the barrel is awfully thin.

lcpwha1.jpg

I was saying before that step-down looks like an optical illusion. smaller OD than ID.

lcpwha2.jpg

so I got out the Ghett-Mic-Rometer (high tensile plastic) and measured OD at points A and B, and ID at point C.

lcpwha3.jpg

A= 27/64"
B= 20/64"
C=22/64"

at point A the barrel thickness is 5/64. a little more than 1/16". the thickness of a quarter.

at point B the barrel thickness is... -2/64! outside diameter is smaller than the inside diameter! how did they do that???

anyways an LCP is made to be extremely small and light, as you can see by the barrel. so if you put in +P loads you're riding the ragged edge of disaster. (the manual says not to do it) these hot loads that try to get a .380 to do what a .38 Special does,

lcpwha4.jpg

is just asking for it. don't use them in an LCP.

anybody with a real micrometer is invited to check the measurements.

Comments

• Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The end of the barrel is flared and serves no purpose for the actual round fired. Measure the ID of the other end of the barrel and it should be the same size as measurement B.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no plans for +P in mine,.....you can be sure.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the low point of measurement B is the true end of the barrel. After that it is flare just to make the barrel long enough to fit and stay in the slide.
  • Options
    SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the Ruger Manual says don't use +p ammo, Then don't use it.

If the Barrel blows up with normal ammo, and you survive, you get a new gun, I'd take a Red label, just couse I don't have one.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,329 ******
    edited November -1
    pin gauge would be helpful here.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns

* Trivia: The material "cost" to produce any current mass-production polymer-framed handgun is less than the cost to machine the trigger on a typical Smith & Wesson revolver. The molds used to produce all current production polymer-framed handguns are made by computer operated CNC at a cost of less than one pistol at full MSRP. The cost of said CNC machines are recovered over 100 fold in their functional lifetime. [:0]

to the comment in red

A comment by someone oblivious to manufacturing. If you can find someone to make an injection mold for me for 4-5 hundred bucks let me know their name.

Typical fixturing for injection mold machines will start at $2k. If you want a complete water cooled mold with ejection, you could be in to the mold $15K+. This type of mold would be typical for a polymer pistol.

To put that in perceptive. Your Tide bottle was made on a blow mold machine, typical price for those $50-100K per mold.
  • Options
    SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns

* Trivia: The material "cost" to produce any current mass-production polymer-framed handgun is less than the cost to machine the trigger on a typical Smith & Wesson revolver. The molds used to produce all current production polymer-framed handguns are made by computer operated CNC at a cost of less than one pistol at full MSRP. The cost of said CNC machines are recovered over 100 fold in their functional lifetime. [:0]

to the comment in red

A comment by someone oblivious to manufacturing. If you can find someone to make an injection mold for me for 4-5 hundred bucks let me know their name.

Typical fixturing for injection mold machines will start at $2k. If you want a complete water cooled mold with ejection, you could be in to the mold $15K+. This type of mold would be typical for a polymer pistol.

To put that in perceptive. Your Tide bottle was made on a blow mold machine, typical price for those $50-100K per mold.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the informative post, buschmaster
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    pin gauge would be helpful here.

Yep, a multi-anvil mic, a blade mic, and normal mic. The proper tools for the job. [;)]
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Your Tide bottle was made on a blow mold machine, typical price for those $50-100K per mold.

So you're saying I can shoot +P rounds through a Tide bottle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wyatt Earp
    quote:
    Your Tide bottle was made on a blow mold machine, typical price for those $50-100K per mold.

So you're saying I can shoot +P rounds through a Tide bottle?

YES! Cheer, Ultra, ect. [:D]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the barrel may heat treated or made of an alloy that is harder than any bullet would ever be .039 works well. All aircraft parts are not made of steel. Hydralic, fuel and other parts are made of aluminum with a hardcoating applied to them. Typical hardcoating would be .0005-.003 thousands of an inch. The hardcoating is as hard as steel.