In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Right angle gear box

blackpowder70blackpowder70 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
I looked all over the net and cant find a good tutorial for setting up a right angle gear box end play at the output shaft and ring gear backlash.

Its a test I will be taking and I will have to shim the small right angle gear box and set the end play and ring gear back lash.

If any one has any good sites or info that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Dang I have gotten rid of all my books check with a good John deere dealer and ask about gear drive on pto driven Mower deck or Cone spreader.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    End play and back lash is determined by several factors. Such as gear style, {hypoid, spur, bevel, ect ect}, temperature use, loads intended {shock impact, reverse and forward}, noise requirements.

Example.... In a high impact {think the rear end of a big tire drag race car} Less backlash is needed. In a everyday family car that may have to start out one day at -30 degrees and then later at +100 degrees, more backlash is needed.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As babun basically stated.

quote:Its a test I will be taking

Gear type
    Gear material type
    Temperature range
    Bearings or bushings
    Gear box material

Is the end play and ring gear backlash measured when cold or at operating temp?

All come into play when building a gearbox.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AGMA and SME both have several books on the subject. If you are a member of either organization you can search their book selections. The magazine Gear Solutions usually has an article on the subject every few months. It is a rather hot topic in the gear community. With that said, Babun is correct in his questions. We don't have enough information.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the dial indicator ready. You can always take one apart that is correct and measure it. Then set the one you have up the same way.