In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Antis prepare to protest N.Y. crow hunt

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Group plans march as town prepares to shoot hundreds of crows

By William Kates
Associated Press - Feb. 6, 2004

AUBURN, N.Y. - Despite the crow's reputation as a destructive pest, villain and harbinger of trouble, a hunting contest to thin the swarms of crows that winter here gives the city a black eye, according to critics who would rather celebrate the big, black bird.

"We don't like the image it gives our city," said Rita Sarnicola, who heads The Crow Committee, a local group protesting the second annual crow hunt.

"It's not hunting. It's killing for killing's sake. And then they throw a party," Sarnicola said Thursday.

The contest was held informally for several years until it became organized and publicized last year, when nearly 150 hunters bagged 348 birds in a weekend. This year's hunt is expected to draw a larger crowd, including some from as far away as Kentucky and Arizona, said Tom Lennox, one of the organizers.

"We aren't doing anything that's illegal," said Lennox, whose tavern sponsors the contest.

"They like to portray us as bloodthirsty killers. These are people who go to the grocery store to buy slaughtered cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys," said Lennox, adding that many hunters eat the crows.

"And they're worried about Auburn's image. We have a maximum security prison here that has some of the state's most notorious murderers," Lennox said, "and where they used the electric chair for the first time."

Residents in Auburn, a small city 20 miles west of Syracuse, have spent years grousing about huge numbers of crows roosting all winter long. About 15 years ago, Auburn became home to as many as 50,000 crows each winter, outnumbering the human population of 28,574. Many residents complain the crows, which flock into the city at dusk after daily feedings in the country, are a noisy nuisance that soil the city with their feces.

The roost has declined to about 25,000 recently. Cornell Ornithology Laboratory researchers say that's likely from the effects of West Nile virus, which is fatal to crows.

Sarnicola said a protest Sunday - the second and last day of the hunt - will end with a march to City Hall. She said her group is again encouraging local and state lawmakers to outlaw wildlife shooting contests without limits on the number of animals that can be killed.

"What we should do is embrace this in a positive way," said Sarnicola.

Instead of a hunt, Sarnicola wants the city to put together a crow festival featuring music, entertainment and antiques while honoring someone who's done "something to crow about." Sarnicola also envisions the crowning of a crow princess.

Sarnicola argues the hunt may just drive more crows into the city, where they are safe from hunters.

Crow season runs from Sept. 1 to March 31, but crows can only be hunted Friday through Monday, a legal quirk that dates to the federal 1918 International Migratory Bird Act. Hunting is prohibited within city limits.

Auburn Mayor Timothy Lattimore supports the crow hunt.

"If these were deer, there would be no objections to thinning the herd," Lattimore said. "The population here is overwhelming. It is affecting business downtown and the quality of life here."

Lattimore said the city also is considering other control measures, such as special firecrackers, sirens, spotlights, laser beams and predators including hawks and falcons.

Crow Busters, a national crow hunters' organization based in Lutherville, Md., says crows are regarded as highly intelligent creatures with the uncanny ability to detect trouble - a characteristic that hunters say make them a worthwhile adversary.

In the 1940s and 1950s, crow hunting reached a zenith. The federal government put a bounty on the birds during World War II, designating the "black bandits" as a public enemy and traitor for robbing the nation's farms of grain, according to the group's Web site.

Crow Busters say the birds feed on cultivated crops in the South and Midwest and eating the eggs and fledglings of waterfowl and upland game birds.

In the past 20 years, the crow population has exploded in suburban areas, especially in the East. One of the largest roosts in the country is in Springfield, Ohio, where as many as 100,000 crows have been wintering. Last month, officials there dropped plans to feed the birds poisoned corn to reduce

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    New York seems to be full of PETA types. A few years ago, I was coming home from my thanksgiving/deer hunting trip. As I was entering the toll plaze for the thruway, there was a bunch of people out there with "anti hunting/deer hunting signs. I had a nice six pointer tied down on the roof of my car. I couldnt help but give the finger to them as I drove passed them.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Out of Luthervill, Md eh? Not far from me at all. Perhaps I should give em a call. Sounds like fun. Imagine what a 7.62x39 could do to one of them suckas!

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Park about ten of them noisy SOBs outside of their bedroom windows and let the mtry to sleep, see how long till they stick the shotgun out the window![:D] And yes I have been there done that!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    around one of the quads on my campus a crap load of them roost there very night. perfect shot20 yards up in pine trees wish I could have 30 minutes to hunt bet i could get 100 at least

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:"They like to portray us as bloodthirsty killers. These are people who go to the grocery store to buy slaughtered cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys," said Lennox, adding that many hunters eat the crows.

Why would any one want to eat them. I shoot them every chance I get.

10-X.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I live in Calif. all I can say is
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA [:D] [;)]

A 22-250 with 55gr blitz kings is the best way to feed'em [:)]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have ate crow before but not the feathered type.