In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin Micro-Groove

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I know that this sounds pretty silly but I've had a new Marlin bolt-action rifle chambered for .22 LR sitting in my gun cabinet for about three months now. Whenever there's a break in the action at work, the weather is WAY too lousy to be outside shooting. I'm thinking about taking it out this weekend.

Okay...to my point/question. Do you have to fire jacketed ammo through a rifle with micro-groove rifling? I've heard that let gets all torn up by the micro-grooves.

If I remember correction, it's a Marlin 25DU (Ducks Unlimited special).

Comments

• jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    I think that in High presure loads such as my 45/70 the micro groove is not recommended for hard cast bullets, not so much for leading(though that is a concern) but for accuracy.

I have fired thousands of rounds of all lead .22 from my marlin and never had a problem. It is still as accurate as the day I bought it 6 years ago and except for some lead fouling(after a lot of rounds at one sitting) which cleans up with a good solvent and bore brush I have had no problems.

JuJu(just my opnion, others may vary)
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Never any problem with mine either, shoot all kinds of .22 ammo through it, lead head, , copper coated, lubricated, it dont matter, it all cleans up ..

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    You won't have any problems with 22lr in a micro groove barrel.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I've always been told that accuracy drops off fast because micro-grooves rip up lead non-jacketed bullets.

Classic095--Just a side note. We may disagree on a lot of subjects and I may have taken some cheap shots at you. I appreciate your experience and advice.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I havent been offended at anything you have said. We are all intitled to our opinion. [:D][:D]

If anyone can use any of my limited experiences, then I am only to happy to share..[:D]

I do post some things from the other side of the fence, just to see reactions, and I do it realizing that some aint gonna be too happy.[}:)][}:)]
    animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • JokerJoker Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know where you got your "information" on micro-groove rifling, but it's false.
    Back in the late 50's, the NRA Technical staff actually tested several standard-grooved .22 LR barrels, along with Marlin micro-grooved barrels, in static tests. According to their findings, the micro-groove barrels offered an average 20% improvement in accuracy.
    (Again, however, it must be remembered that most .22 rifles will shoot better than most shooters can hold.)
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ohhh, man..You guys could complicate a trip to the bathroom..Whatever you want to shoot in it, shoot in it..The only difference is the depth and width of the rifling grooves, and one is about as good as another, it don't make no damn difference..Ease up, chill out, shoot 'em..enjoy 'em..

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joker--I'm just trying to confirm or negate some rumors that have been spread within the shooting community about lead bullets and micro-groove rifling in Marlin rifles. Like I said, I've never owned a Marlin rifle with this type of rifling before. Then again, that first Marlin Model 60 that I got for $20 out of someone's attic probably doesn't count because the thing was wore the heck out when I bought it.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of my Most-Accurate .22's have been Marlins...I've used alot of different types of ammo in them as well...

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    The newer large bore Marlin cowboy type rifles have Ballard type rifling. This deeper rifling makes for more accurate shooting with lead bullets. I really don't think that the micro-groove rifling would make a great deal of difference with a .22, due to the surface area of contact with the rifling of the actual bullet. However, there can be no argument that Ballard type rifling is more accurate with lead bullets.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anybody really believe that Marlin would use micro-groove rifling all these years in .22 LR if they were 1. inaccurate and 2. leaded their bores badly? Marlin has consistantly produced accurate reasonably priced rifles for as long as I can remember. I own a Marlin 39A and I put it in a match against Anschutzs, Remington 541's, and Martini match rifles and guess what? I finish 3rd and one shooter even suggested before the match started that I not be allowed to shoot in the unlimited class without a "proper" rifle(whatever that meant). I'm not all that good but the little Marlin was ; besides, I think the irritation factor alone gave me points. Pinhead
  • sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
    edited November -1
    Back when I had my FFL, I sold a Marlin .22 magnum to a guy I knew. He already had this cheap 3/4" tube scope he wanted on the rifle. He asked me to mount the scope, and take it to the range to sight it in for him. After I did that, I brought his rifle back and told him he needed to get a much better scope. I shot a three shot one inch group at 100 yards, and I could barely see the target through that piece of crap scope. With a one inch tube 3-9x better quality scope, I wouldn't be surprised if that Marlin put all three shots in the same hole at 100 yards. Since then, I've always been impressed with Marlins.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had a problem with lead bullets in my Marlin, although I do prefer to shoot the copper plated bullets in all of my .22's. I don't know if it makes much difference, but I feel that they reduce the amount of leading in any .22 barrel.

10-X.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • skipjackoneskipjackone Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that my Marlin is a model 60?? Shoots like a real champ and feeds ANYTHING you put in it. I just wish I could trick the trigger. A little on the stiff side for me. I paid $50 for the rifle from a guy that worked for me. It looks like new. Next to my AR, it is definitely the most accurate rifle I own. Think I'll keep it. [^]

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!