In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope magnification, how much do you like to have?

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in General Discussion
I have a great love of HIGH powered optics. I hear two distinct schools of thought on this issue, and just wondered what school all my buds here at GB subscribe to. My preference is at least 14-16x but I would rather have more. I like to be able to see every detail of the target, even a bug on it, so I use lots of magnification.

What about you all,....and why?[?]

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I have a 10x fixed on my 6mm, but I use a 6-18x on my 30.06. I've used 32x scopes on target rifles before, but it decreases your field of view but increases your precision. Just depends on how precise or quickly you need to shoot. I use a lot of 3-9x scopes for most applications.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    6-24x i like to look for gnats on the targets
    Lt shootlow RRG
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the gun

Shotgun and handguns...red dots with no magnification up to 6X. (0-150yds)

Hunting rifles....3-12 (0-300yds)

Target & Varmit rifles....12-36X (200-500yds)
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Ive hunted for years with just a plain old 4 power! I think that is more than sufficient for deer Hunting! I do have a 4.5x14 leupold on my .308 and I have to admit I like it. I have found that the variable is probably a waste of money though, as I usually leave it at one power setting! For woodchucks I prefer a straight 12 power with a mill dot reticle!
    My father has probably shot more deer than anybody Ive ever known with an old J.C.Higgins 270 with a four power Herters scope! Blackiebooger and Pagunrunner will attest to some of the shot our father made in his day! He's gone on to hunt in another place now but I have the gun now and though I can't shoot as well as he could it still is a shooter! Lots of them old timers scoff at us guys with those fancy scopes! I guess it's all in what you are used to!

pa.gif

In God We Trust
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    I prefer the 1.5X5 or 6 range as good enough for most hunting purposes. Just getting into the long range use of firearms and have installed a 3x12 with Mil-Dots on my 7mm RUM. Putting a 6X20 with Mil-Dots on the 50 BMG I just picked up. But for egular hunting purposes within 400 yards or less, I would still go with the 1.5X5 or 6 as being suffecient.

AlleninAlaska

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
    -- Thomas Paine
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Except for handguns, I find a 3X9 to be adequate for all but loooong range varmints. I hunt with it stuck in 3X but use the higher powers for some mid-range targets (300 to 600 yards). For precision handgun work, I now need an optical device (hate getting old but it beats the heck out of NOT getting old) so I use either an aimpoit type red dot or a fixed 2X for handgun hunting (out to 100 yards).
    For my brush/pig gun I use a non-amplifying optical scope with a wide FOV.

Some say that there is no such thing as a 'brush gun' because you don't shoot brush! HA! They should go pig hunting with me, I seem to shoot a LOT of brush! (Sorta like fishing the banks for those pesky squirrel bass.)

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    For hunting rifles i prefer something like a 1 3/4 x 5 power.On my 22's a straight 4x.On a varmint or target rifle i can see the need for more magnification.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on what you're after...
    For varmits (especially ground-hogs), then a fixed high-power is great. However, for more "mobile" game, I like a much lower power so I have a wider field of view. For large animals (antelope, deer, and larger), I like a 4x - 12 or 14x variable. For small game, a 3-9 or 2-7 is ideal, and for varmits (especially ground-hogs), the higher the better (since you are often shooting the same place and don't need to pan to find the game).
    I think a 3-9 or 4-12 is the perfect all around scope - with a big enough objective to draw in the light on high-power...

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    depends on the range and weather its for a quick standing type of shot or a careful from the rest type of shot.

Range Standing/quick Sitting/rest

0-50 3x 3-6x

51-100 3-6x 6-9x

100+ 3-9x Can't get enough!! 9-32x

I have a 8-32x44 BSA plat targ on my 7mm rem mag. I probably should have got a 6-24 its hard for me to keep a nice steady aim with 8x when I'm standing up.. I tend to waver around a tiny fractional amount.. I probably just need to work out my arms a lil more.. *looks around for his 12er*

I have a 3-9x44 Millet Buck Gold on my Mini-14.

I have a 2-7x20 tasco rimfire (one of the $45-50 ones not the 15 dollar cheapie) on my 10/22.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, if you were a deer, and you'd just asked me that question, I'd say.... not so much magnification that I'd be able to see Uranus at long distances.[:o)][:D]

marinesega2.jpg
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    I tend to lean toward the variables in 6x18, 6.5x20 or 6x24 for varmint rifles. The fixed 20,24,32's are fun to use but sometimes you just need to be able to see a larger field of veiw and then turn the power up once you've spotted the varmint! For general hunting (deer,antelope, elk) 3x9 or 3.5x10 or 4x12 or the new4.5x14 would be perfect. I have said for a long time that 3x9 was probably the most versatile of all the offerings and I firmly beleive that if you can shoot 1/2 inch groups using a 9 power scope you can be proficient at whatever you want to shoot! GHD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK Ryan, I think after you wizz one of those volkwagons that come out of your barrel, past me, I might just die of fright[:D] Not to mention a straight up the *-Hole shot is a sure harvest, at any range.[;)]

SilverBox, the waiver you see is still there with any scope, you just see it more when you magnify it. I had started to turn down my power at one point, until I realized, the bounce is still there, you just can't see it as well. Low power may make you think your steady, but high power let's you know your wrong. Keep the big glass, it pays off.

pabooger, we see it the same way. I don't get off on the front adjustable objective either. As far as us spending too much on glass, it's all the same, just boosted by the effect of inflation.

Old single shots, what gives my friend? I thought we were the 700 remington compadres[:D] You shooting them back yard deer?

shootist 30-06 , somehow I think your "age" isn't all that much of a problem. I would guess you are plenty healthy on the paper,..anyone who champions a round as much as yuorself, must surely be, how shall we say,....experienced[8D]

bambihunter, shootlow, Kingjoey, and Rembrandt, yall and I are also seeing it the same. Now where are all the low power guys????

Oh yeah, Aglore.....all I can say is this, you are a heck of a rifleman. 6x at 400yds, is all I need to know. Please don't shoot at me, I'm allergic to bullets[:D] mighty fine shootin.....

I havn't heard a peep from GHD or He Dog as of yet[?]

never mind GHD, I see ya jumped in whilst I composed.

• Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like to have high power scopes the most i have now is 6-16 and have couple 4.5-14 i would like to "need to get a more powerful scope" for my 300win mag now that i have used that scope for one of my 22-250s. what i would like to get is out of my price range, a scope with side focus
    doc
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    For hunting under 150 yds a 1x4 Leupold, out to 350yds 3x9 Zeiss. Hmmm, I guess that means the lower power scopes are preferable because most all my shots have been less than 150 yds here in the southeast. My 3x9 is usually set on 4x.

For target ranges (300 to 800 yds), 4.5x14 is sufficient.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    JustC, I forgot to mention that if your eyes still work at distance(we all get that TMB disease about 45..too many birthdays and your arms aren't long enough to read the paper) a holosight will work wonderfully well out to 200 yards on a handgun (or rifle) and you get to keep both eyes wide open and see everything around your target!!! hahaha GHD
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    If I had to limit myself to ONE scope for all my BIG GAME hunting it would be a 1 3/4 to 6. From 10 feet to 500 yds it will be GREAT.
    For varmits I used a 6 X 24, but seldom if ever set it above 14 power.
    TOO MANY HUNTERS USE THEIR SCOPE ON THEIR RIFLE AS A SPOTING SCOPE AND TURN IT TO HIGH TO MAKE A GOOD SHOT IN THE FIELD!!![V]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had 3X9's on most of my rifles, but found I usually left them on about 4X. Not many shots that were longer than that could handle.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess I have to be contrary. I only have one scope, I think it's a Tasco, on a Mini-14. Other than that, I use Williams peeps or stock iron sights. Ain't got no brag on MOA, but I alwmost always kill what I shoot at (except for teal, those buggers!!).
    A fellow I know has a T/C Contender with .44 Mag. barrel for deer, at 50 yds., I consistently outshoot him with a Super Blackhawk with factory sights. Because I'm good? No, because he shoots twice a year at most. That said, I'm in awe of the fellas who can tune and tweak a good rifle/scope combination and shoot clovers about a mile (to me!)out there, it's a delight to watch! I ain't that patient, don't like fiddling with stuff, but I know when to NOT shoot, and to me that's the key.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    JustC, it's pretty hard to miss animals as big as barn doors at 400 yards.[:)]

AlleninAlaska

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
    -- Thomas Paine
  • Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    JustC,

I had the same thought myself, I was going to post it, but didn't cause I thought I had enough info already :). There is a caveat to it thu. I tend to try to get that nice steady aim before I ease that trigger in, if I have a shot that is perfectly good and my waver is still right on target I tend to not fire trying to get a "perfect" shot. Basically at the lower powers since I can't see the waver as much I will take the shot quicker with more confidence. Its a problem I am conscience of, but even thu I know I do it and try not I still do it a little bit :)
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seriously, the strongest power I have is 3.5x10, its plenty. I prefer lower power scopes, but havent broken down and bought that pair of binoculars I want yet, so I have the 10 power availability to zoom in and make sure its got antlers, for those antler only hunts. I could get along fine with a 4 or 6 power fixed. I have a 2.5 to 7 that is almost perfect. What I wish I had was a scope in 2-8, with a zoom feature of 20, but I dont see that happening. I had a6-18 power scope mounted on one of my guns once, it was cool, but too much power and low field of vision, even at long distances. I guess I've been using open sights and low power scopes for so long I'm use to it. I almost never varmint hunt, so I cant really use a long range scope. Besides, long range to me still means the target is a deer, or coyote, maybe a bobcat if it happen by.

marinesega2.jpg
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well this is the third attempt at posting, if the phone line lets me stay on, maybe this one will get through.

I see we have about an even split. that's interesting.

GHD, I already feel like I have that, but I guess I'll be ok for a few years yet[:D]

Robsguns, You hunt antlers? [:o)] That's a small target, I figured you have at least 20x for those elusive little buggers[:D]

Aglore, as always,..I drool. The only things I see that are over 300lbs, are grazing inside a fence[V]

• Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Own several with the 4X mounted, But for regular use with the ol' Featherweight 270 I believe in the 3X9.
  • Options
    sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    Buckhorn on rifle,fixed on handguns! I dont need no stinking scope.
    You guys are to old or to young for the BIG boy toys.
    If I cant hit the target I just get a bigger target frame.

Somtimes I dont stir,I just kick it over.

Sorry,the devil made me do it.

dipit,dipit,dipit!