In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BAD DAY FOR MY DOG$update$

0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
IVE BEEN BATTLING AN EAR INFECTION MY DOG HAS FOR A LONG TIME NOW.IVE BEEN GIVING HIN ORAMAX.AND IT HAS BEEN WORKING TO GOOD.LAST NIGHT WHEN WE GOT HOME FROM THE HOCKEY GAME.HE WAS SHAKING HIS HEAD SOMTHING FIERCE SO I TOOK A LOOK AT HIM.AND HIS EAR WAS SWOLLEN UP REALLY BAD SO I TOOK HIM TO THE VET TODAY.AND THEY SAID HE HAS A HYMATOMA IN THE EAR AND IT HAS TO BE SURGICALLY REMOVED.THEY GAVE HIM SOME SHOTS AND SOME MEDICATIONS,TRESADERM,CEPHALEXIN.TODAYS VET TRIP COSTED ME $300 BUCKS I REALLY DIDNT HAVE.AND THEY WANT TO DO THIS SURGERY WITCH IS GONNA COST ANY WHERE BETWEEN $700-$1000 BUCKS AND NOWHERE AROUND HERE WILL DO PAYMENT PLANS.THIS JUST SUCKS I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.I CANT COME UP WITH THE CASH.DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY ASSOCIATIONS THAT COULD HELP ME OUT IN THIS BIND I'M IN ?THERE ARE ONLY 2 LOVES IN MY LIFE MY GIRLFREIND AND MY DOG.he really lives up to his name.trouble

Comments

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turn him into the SPCA and tell them why you have to give him up. They'll fix his ear before they put him up for adoption. Then have your girlfreind adopt him the minute he is eligible. Just a thought. You probably don't want to risk it. Sometimes the shelters do have the inside track on vets who will hook you up for less $$ though.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    there is no way i'm gonna give him up.this problem just came at a bad time.he is like a son to me and im gonna do what i can to help my kid out.if thats selling my prized gun or something else.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Marine,
    get another vets opinion, you're being duped! At least it seems that way to us.

We had the very same thing with a Hungarian Viszla, both ears. My newest Lab pup would grab and chew the ears, the old man let him! He'd lay there and grimace but would not hurt the pup.

Anyway, the vet cut, drained the blood, put tubes in to continue the draining and stapled both ears for around $150 best I remember and it was hematoma. A few more bucks to have the staples removed and he was fine. (by then the pup had stopped the chew toy deal[:D])
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    Give the antibiotics a chance to work also get a second oppinion. I would think it would clear up with the antibiotics as cefhalexin is a good strong antibiotic.

It's All Crapola!!!
    edited November -1
    I WISH THERE WAS PET INSURANCE OUT THERE OR SOMETHING.MY BUDDY SURE HAS RACKED UP SOME BILLS ON ME.BUT I LOVE THIS DOG.[:)]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm broke too due to a back injury and just going back to work tomorrow, but what would you take for the largest Ghillie Suit you have?

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
    edited November -1
    $200 OR MAKE ME A BID WHAT SIZE DO YOU NEED? I CAN MAKE YOU 1 IT WOULD TAKE ME ABOUT 2 DAYS TO MAKE.RIGHT NOW IVE GOT MEDIUM LONGS.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like its time to take him out back..

Just kidding, im sure youll think of something.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Go to the farm supply nearest you and buy a bottle of antibiotics , a half dozen hypodermic needle sets, some blue antiseptic spray,some medical antiseptic tape and a project knife or scalpel. Bang him up with the antibiotics by weight right in the hip muscle. If after a few days the blob isn't reducing then lance it,bang him up again and spray the wound with the blue stuff. If the blob starts to refill stick a needle in it and unscrew the tube leaving the needle in and tape it there as a drain. Hit him up every few days with the antibiotic for a total of ten days. So maybe four or five shots all together. You may have to put the lamp shade thingy on him to keep him from scratching the drain from his ear or breaking it off. All of the stuff will cost you about 30 bucks and some time. You can do it and he'll be good to go in a week or two. I have to do stuff like this all the time on our animals. Dogs are easy as they can handle the stress without getting shocky like some critters.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are there any veterinary colleges or a university that has schools of vererinary sciences near you ? They can be a means of more affordable treatment . Just a thought . Good luck to you and your friend .

Have guns,will travel
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    0311 - you're dealing with the wrong vets! I had to do the same thing with my best friend and the whole procedure was a small fraction of the price they are asking. That included anesthesia . . . my buddy wouldn't have sat still for me to do it at home (it took three of us just to give him ear drops!), but if yours will, I'd sure try bdj's suggestion. SXSMAN's suggestion is excellent, also. The students learn by working on real patients and are under the supervision of DVMs while they do it. If you can't find a vet locally who will do it for a reasonable price, put Trouble in the car and head East until you get away from the city and the vets who want to retire at age 40 by catering to the Starbucks crowd. $300 for an office visit and meds is absolutely obscene. It cost me about that for all my bud's medicine and three visits, including the surgery.

Once you are over this, you may need to make cleaning his ears a routine part of your week. My vet told us some dogs' ears simply have a construction which collects crud and churns out ear wax. Mine did. We had to clean his ears weekly - eventually it became routine enough we only needed two people to do it - and clean / dry his ears carefully after every swim. That routine put an end to my buddy's ear infections.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Marine,

I've got an extra one of my Large Nomex Flight Suits (size 46L) here in my closet; if you want it, in order to make the large ghillie suit for Ruger, I'll send it to you free of charge. Just let me know. I know how you feel about Buddy, and I have a feeling your luuck is about to change, with the new job and all. Take care.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    My dog gets the ear infections as well. Starts shaking his head and blows long lines of snot out of his nose. Exercise seems to help keep the infection -- plugged sinus problem from happening.
    Take warm soapy water, start stracting his ears and finally start working up the ear cannel. Then dip and apply the warm soapy water to the inside of the ear canal and keep working your finger in his ears. If he is like my dog, an orgasm will just about happen because it feels so good to have that gunk working it self loose. give it a try. You need a country vet. Talk to a dog trainer as he may have some ideas or if there are any animal farms near by just stop and ask who they use for a vet.

Good luck buddy.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    BDJ, as educated and knowledgeable as you are I am surprised you didn't know that the "lamp shade thingy" is actually called an Elizabethan collar. You still amaze me.[:0]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,505 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It won't fit on my screen, marine. Your picture is too big.
    Sorry, too hard to read, looks like an interesting topic.
    edited November -1
    JC, one is never to old nor knowledgeable enough to learn something new. The name is appropriate as it resembles the collar favored by Henry VIII's pride and joy. Thanks for the tip.
    PS, My shoulder and back have healed nicely, so I can start swinging a driver again. Give me a month and I'll be ready for the links if you get out this way.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure glad this thread is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide enough so my neighbor can read it too.
    [V][V]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Awesome, I know some great links in WNC also.

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
    edited November -1
    well ive been searching for a vet all morning that will do a payment plan i found 1.troubles appt is at 3pm today.i cant wait for them to fix his ear up the poor guy.bdj i would do the home remedy but he's to big and he would bite me.they gave him a steroid shot yesterday does anybody know what it does?i made some cash selling some ammo at a few gun shops the ammo i sold is hard to get.sold some .308 incederary rounds,7.5 french. two combat loads of .308 nato ball ammo,50 cal,ammo can of .223 nato and tracers.this just blows.i was gonna sell my prized hk today but my girlfriend told me she would kill me if i did.because she loves that gun too.i'll keep u guys posted on what happens this afternoon[:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:bdj i would do the home remedy but he's to big and he would bite me.

That is not right. I've had dogs that could easily kill me in a hand to paw fight, but would not do more than whimper when I had to cut or stitch on them. They know when you are trying to help. Maybe you could get a muzzle on and hog tie him to give him a shot? How is the vet going to do it?

edited November -1
    took him to the vet this afternoon.they said they would work with me on the payment.they are going to charge me $351. they seem to be the most reasonable place around here.
    this is the estimates they gave me for the surgery.
    procedure 130
    auralhematoma canine 30.00
    ear cleaning II 30.00
    ear swab cytology 22.00
    anesthesia-iv & inhalation 78.00
    moniter anesthesia/doppler 16.00
    pain reliever-morphine[xx(] 20.00
    medication quote 45.00
    ward care 20.00
    total 351 bucks

dang dogs are pretty spendy.

they are gonna do the surgery wednesday.
    my only concern is my girlfriend goes to college 10am -3pm.
    and i'm starting a new job this week working 930am to 530pm and i wont be getting home till 630pm do to traffic.im just hoping he will be ok home alone[B)]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear your dog is gonna be fixed up. Lucky you found a vet that cant add, saved yourself 40 bucks.
    edited November -1
    He'll probably just lay around for a couple of days after the procedure. The first night after the dope is the only worry. Once the drugs wear off he will be back in action pretty quick.

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now that seems far more reasonable a fee structure, time payments or no. I'd send a bag of sand to the first DVM's clinic with precise instructions for its use.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fantastic. My Shar-Pei also had chronic bacterial infections in BOTH ears, alternating. She seemed to be shaking her poor head all the time. Last week I had the surgery done on both ears and thought I would have to sell a gun. The tab was $743 to open up her tiny ear canals so they can drain properly. The vet told me this is the only breed that still needs such extensive surgery, but if your dog has a hematoma, that's a complication. So, I feel your pain, but it's well worth the treatments because these infections will never get better on their own, even with antibiotics, unless properly dealt with. I had her on a total of four runs of two kinds of antibiotics (which made her sick and not eat) and at the end of each run the infections came back within 48 hours. So surgery was the only real option. Good luck with it.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    I know I'm late with this but check it out.
    Say Hi to you're friend for me.
    http://www.imom.org/