In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

racing scanners

SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
getting all revved up for the yearly oddysey to talladega alabama and im gonna buy a race scanner so i can listen to jr's colorful commentary and it is quite colorful.any suggestions on brands,where to look,and what to pay

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net

Comments

• interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    I have a radio shack pro 74 race scanner.800 MHZ so you can tune in all or any of your nascar favorites. This scanner comes with complete manual and fresh batteries. $75.00 with free shipping. If you want it call me at 785-838-4100 between 10-7 central time, ask for JC.

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    isp what are the specs on this scanner do you have headsets or is it just the scanner

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Sub
    Not to hijack your thread, but, who you drive for?

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Call me at the shop tommorrow. [:)]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good gosh I AM the only true redneck here ha ha isp and i anyway...nobody else listens to race scanners??

• IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Get 2, Mama will want to listen to her driver too.
    Well worth the $. At Taladaga go to the RacingRadios trailer & get the frequecy card for $5.00, it will have all the drivers frequecies.
    Be aware that the pit crew may have a differant freq, as well as the shop trailer will have a differant freq.
    You need to scan from 140mhz upto 800mhz, not all teams run the 800mhz rigs.
    ALSO if you have a laptop with a wireless lan card, take it with you, you would be surprised what you can find! But DO NOT again Do NOT interfere with their network!
    Walte
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with you Sub. My man is the green machine #18[:D]. Anyway, is there any way to get the crew and spotter conversations when watching the race at home?? I've seen that you can sign up for it at nascar.com but I wonder if I'll be able to make out all the conversations over the net. I'd love to have something at home when watching it on TV.

or maybe I'm wrong and the nascar track pass is a good idea. Any ideas yall??

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I bought a rig last year and did quite a lot of looking b4 purchase. I ended up getting the "Race Scan" radio set up. Their number is 800-441-2841.

I got two headsets with microphones so that I could communicate with my wife during the race. Get the models that allow for each person to have their own scanner.

RaceScan is THE name in NASCAR radios. Spend as much as you like, they will let you!

The SportCat scanner is a good middle of the road scanner that will allow you to hit 800, but lacks a few bells and whistles of more expensive models which I found unnessesary...

Don't tell anyone, but I use the headsets at the shooting range!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • The firearms consultantThe firearms consultant Member Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Radio Shack scanner with the earmuffs. Great thing to have at the track. I've only gone to California Speedway. Some of the short tracks must be incredibly loud. John

I might not always tell you the truth, but I will never lie to you!