In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looked at that Krag today!

paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
It's not in bad shape, the barrel is uncut, it still has the barrel ring, the hand guard is gone, the original site is still on it! The action and crown looks fine, the action is smooth!

Unfortunatly it has been drilled and tapped for a scope mount!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
This was the Ancient law of Youth
Old times are past, old times are done:
But the Law runs true, O little son!

Comments

• trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know, Pa, it's funny---The few specimens of Krags I've seen were all crap wall-hangers. The bores were mere tubes practically devoid of rifling, and more often than not they'd been hacked up and sporterized. Do you suppose that the crappy bores could be due to their history as a blackpowder cartridge rifle? And aren't you put off at all by the expense of the ammo? Last time I checked, factory-load ammo was dang near $1/round. Mind you, I LIKE the looks of the full-stock Krags, but the lack of good specimens and expense of ammo turns me off.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Did you buy it? AT $200 it is a steal. I want one, but can't find any that are worth having for less than $350-400.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did they drill through the serial number?
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Where is the serial # located? The scope base is mounted on the side right below the U.S. Stamp Oh by the way did I mention that it was a carbine!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pa you're gonna find the serial number right under the mount[B)]I can't get to mine now, but i'm sure thats where it is-left side of receiver under US and arsenal markings. I also saw in the photos that it has the original buttplate and rear swivel.Even though its not all original, they are a cool action to use, and the price seems more than fair. Just make sure the bore is decent so you get some accuracy. It probably is or no one would have spent money scoping it.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i havent seen one for under $300 around here. price is right and you do reload,cuts your ammo cost way down. a couple of people have used these for silouhette shooting here and did very well.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    krag1.JPG

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I would sure buy it. I hate that I never bought an origonal one for my collection. I like military rifles like this that I can shoot and know that I am not screwing up a collector item.