In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Florida Carry Permit?

paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My buddy who lives in Ny, and has a NY carry permit, paid $117 Dollars and sent for a Florida carry permit! He showed it to me and I asked him why he bothered. I said that they honor my Pa Permit in Fla!

He claims that now that he has a Florida Permit, he will be able to carry in 20 states! Is this the case! If so It might be worth the expense!

Pa

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
This was the Ancient law of Youth
Old times are past, old times are done:
But the Law runs true, O little son!

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The initial cost of Floridas CCW Permit is $117.00. Renewals are $75.00 every five-years. A Florida CCW Permit will allow you to carry a concealed weapon in six additional States: Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi, and Pennsylvania. With only Two State-issued Permits, you can now legally carry a concealed firearm in 25 different States. This is great news for anyone that travels for business or leisure. And with the continuing efforts of a strong pro-rights lobby in Utah and Florida, the value of both permits is likely to increase as additional States agree to Reciprocity or Recognition.

Although Utah and Florida Permits are recognized in many other States, California recognizes neither Permit. It is the responsibility of the individual permit-holder to comply with all other States laws when traveling to States granting Reciprocity or Recognition.

A great source of information regarding State Firearms and CCW Laws is the Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States by J. Scott Kappas, Esq. Available from www.gunlawguide.com. Another fantastic website that provides a great deal of useful information regarding Concealed Carry Permits in any of the 50 States is www.packing.org, where you will find a summary of each States statutes, current reciprocity, access to each States issuing Authority, and links to individual State websites that can help answer any specific questions you may have.

www.ccwusa.com

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Pa while it may be true on the reciprocity issue it can be a sticky subject. There are more than a few states that offer reciprocity to resident holders but if you have a non-resident permit it can be a little cloudy as to what other states accept a non-resident permit.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    quote:With only Two State-issued Permits, you can now legally carry a concealed firearm in 25 different States

Any particular two, or just two from any state?

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Florida non-resident CCW's are recongized in 23 states! The list of these states can be found on

www.packing.org

The cost is 117.00 for 5 years. You do not need a home state permit to obtain one.

You request the packet from Florida (found on their home page) send it with the money, a fingerprint card which they supply, two passport photos and a certification from a firearms course. They will respond within 90 days.

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
    edited November -1
    Well that screws me, Pennsylvania requires no certification from a firearms course! Never had one! Suppose it couldn't hurt to take one!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

edited November -1
    Did ya ever see my signature on my posts. I are a NRA Certified Instructor. [8D]

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Same here Pa....Has we known you could have been 'instructed' last weekend.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
    edited November -1
    Where do ya think Lonnie took his course? (And he even passed)

vic.jpg

Charlie

• zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by njretcop
    Where do ya think Lonnie took his course? (And he even passed)

Where do I sign up, how about a GB get together class?

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
    IMG_8700.jpg
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about holding a course here at the Gunpaq ranch. Have a bunk room, plenty of shooting space with neighbors who like to here gunfire.[:D]

That's interesting on the Florida carry and sounds like a good idea.
    Would be nice to have a carry permit honored in NY living so close to the border...............too many times "Oh crap!! I'm in NY"

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
    edited November -1
    John,

Just to clarify.......the Florida permit is NOT recoginzed in the state of NY.

vic.jpg

Charlie

• gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I saw that. Too bad being this close.

Probably be a good idea putting two lock boxes in the truck to lock in the ammo and gun for those short unscheduled trips across the NY border.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Coincidentally, you can also get a non resident CCL from Wa just paperwork, and $60.00 for 5 years. it's good in another handful of states, I have one, and I happen to be getting ready to transfer to florida as you probably know and I haven't decided yet to start the paperwork now or wait till I'm thier, I wonder which way would be quicker or if it would even matter?

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    After a vacation to Florida a few years back when they told me they couldn't honor my NC permit though they would like to, but only if NC honored their's too, I got on the fax and the emailer and hammered my local rep who happens to attend all the NRA events and asked if he would add a reciprocity clause to our CCW law. He must have snuck it through as a rider because no-one ever mentioned it coming up for a vote. We now have it and I can carry in 15 states and rising. He took all the credit and got re-elected by the way.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    I did take the Pennsylvania Hunters Safety course does that count?

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

edited November -1
    Pa, here it is required that it be a handgun specific class. They just tell you the do's and don'ts of concealed carry and using deadly force rules. Then you shoot a pie sized target at about ten feet and go home.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    I might be able to hit that![:D]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

edited November -1
    The class registration form said to bring 50 rounds to the range part of the class. Then I get to shoot two shots at a target I could hit with my eyes sewn shut. I told the instructor I still had 48 to go. He laughed and said to wait 'til the others were done and then let me use the range at a decent yardage. Gave me some good pistolero tips too.

• zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For CO. and WA. you must apply in person. FL. is by mail.

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
    IMG_8700.jpg
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Pa,

Here is the contact info;

Department of Agriculture
    Division of Licensing
    Post Office Box 6687
    Tallahassee, Florida 32314-6687
    Phone: (850) 487-0482
    Fax: (850) 488-2789
    ONLINE EMAIL Forum :
    http://licgweb.dos.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/dolmailform.exe

Here is a map from packing.org of the states that honor the Florida license; NOTE: Michigan and New Hampshire only honor RESIDENT licenses, all others honor the NON-RESIDENT license.

florida_map.gif