In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mossberg 500 Persuader

robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Just saw one of these things in a CDNN Investments Catlog and I had a few questions. They seem to be selling it for $199 so it seems like a heck of a steal. However, I was just curious about how well they performed. It looked like it could be a good home defense shotgun, considering it has no stock, only a pistol grip.

How well do they work? Is the recoil pretty harsh on the hands? Here's a picture of the thing:

BigMax_1026498336_Mossberg_persueader_pistol_grip.jpg

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."

Comments

• PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    they are FUN!! My cousin bought one, and modded the hell out of it, added a folding stock, side saddle, customized front pistol grip and a hole slew of other after market parts. Recoil, even with 3inch mags is very controllable. It is cool looking, and very intimidating. Go for it!

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are a pretty good gun. The recoil is more manageable if you put a pistol grip on the fore end too, but this is not a bad config; they've been around a long time at that price, actually.

The Rem 870 is a stronger gun, but you pay for the difference.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Through a Knoxx folder on one of those and you will really have a toy.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I have one just like it, only difference, mine has a heat shield and both the pistol grip and regular stock.

Thinking of selling it! The safe is getting full. I know, buy a new safe, haha.

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been looking for a used 590 that accepts a bayonet. No shotgun or rifle is complete as a defense weapon unless it has a bayonet.[:D]

You can find the 500 Persuaders a lot cheaper in the shops and auctions for up to $75 less in excellent condition.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can tell you from yrs of use of the 500 persuader they are a great gun.Of course these were stocked ones!The one that mounts in the front seat/floor of my cruiser took yrs of abuse from jarring and shooting.We switched to the 590 now but I still keep one on hand in my personal inventory.As for the pistol grip I have a Winchester 1300 Speed Pump pistol grip,its not uncomfortable but control is limitedat best under stringent conditions.

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Old retail was $125, a few years ago.. bought 2 used ones for $150 about 6mo ago
    Good for what they are.
    Walte