In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Class III problems

busman202002busman202002 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Back in Oct. 2003 I won a aution here with a Dealer that I won't name for a H&K MP5, and paid in full that week, had a classIII dealer in my area send transfer papers. The dealer I bought it from keeps saying he still doesn't have papers back from ATF.Does it really take this long to transfer from dealer to dealer or is seller just playing games, I could really use a PH# to check this guy out with ATF or somebody.

Thanks

Comments

• 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    sometimes it can take awhile for a class 3 transfer to go through up to 6months sometimes ive seen.you should have got a number w/ the paperwork to check on your status.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    What 0311marine said. Class III transfers can take a REALLY long time... and it only got longer after 9-11, so chances are the guy's not jerking you around
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine has (2 guns) $18,000 worth, sitting in a vault at the dealers, waiting for the "tax stamp" so that he can pick them up. He has been waiting over a year. He has bought quite a few Class III firearms over the years and said that after 9-11 everything went to a crawl.

Another friend has picked up 3 (that I know of) in the last 6 months. Did not take long at all.

I would try to get the number mentioned above, and check to see what the status is.

Maybe it is who you know?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by busman202002
    Does it really take this long to transfer from dealer to dealer or is seller just playing games, I could really use a PH# to check this guy out with ATF or somebody.

I have minimal knowledge about class 3 transfers, but I wouldn't think the "dealer to dealer" transfer should take that long.

With my lack of knowledge about class 3 transfers I have to ask: What "papers" is he waiting for from the ATF? What does your local dealer say about this? If he was selling it, it seems to me it should have been ready to be transfered to your dealer as soon as you paid for it.

I would want my money in an attorney's escrow account while waiting for the transfer to my local dealer if I were spending a chunk of change on a Class 3 toy.

For what you've probably paid for it, I'd buy a plane ticket and be looking the dealer in the eye while he explains exactly what the problem is.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get ahold of YOUR dealer who is handling the transfer and let him talk to the dealer you purchased it from. That is what you are paying your dealer to do. Congrats on the MP-5 !!
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    also what model is the mp5?and is the dealer from oregon by chance?feel free to send me an email

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine took just about a year. But that was in 1986 when the Feds. were inundated with paperwork from the people trying to get in under the deadline.

Mudge the patient

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • busman202002busman202002 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can understand the tax stamp wait, while they run all the checks on me, But from dealer to dealer, that I don't understand, My FFL dealer whick is a friend (Making Nothing Off This) said in the past it only took 2 to3 weeks from dealer to dealer thats why i'm sort of getting a little nervous.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm rather curious as to why you are performing the transfer dealer to dealer. If your dealer filed an ATF Form 3, which is used for tax free transfers between SOT's (special occupational taxpayers), then 30 to 60 days maxiumum is the norm. On the other hand, once your dealer has the MP-5 you have accomplished nothing since you will now have to file your own ATF Form 4 in order to get you MP-5 transfered to you. 6 months seems to be the average time for Form 4 transfers so you've already wasted 4 months waiting on your dealer to get his own FORM 3 approved. The standard way of operating in this business is to pay the seller and then file your Form 4. Once you are approved then the seller can simply ship the MP-5 to your own dealer (no further forms are needed because the transfer has already been approved to you and you have selected your dealer to act as your agent). After the MP-5 arrives you simply go to your dealer and fill out the 4473, just like a regular firearms transfer and go home with your HK.

By the way competentone, after reading your critique of my postings on private sellers and the Street Sweeper, I was shocked to learn that you have only minimal understanding of some aspect of firearms regulations (like the National Firearms Act)...I thought that you were an expert in the entire field!
    Mark T. Christian
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    By the way competentone, after reading your critique of my postings on private sellers and the Street Sweeper, I was shocked to learn that you have only minimal understanding of some aspect of firearms regulations (like the National Firearms Act)...I thought that you were an expert in the entire field!

Mark,

I pulled up the old threads and welcome any corrections on errors I've made in my comments.
  • busman202002busman202002 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark, I did not know I could go this route, My dealer said I would have to have it transfered to him then from him to me?????
    I'll check on this, this is my first time.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Currently have 2 form3's & 1 form4 going now.
    Time on form 3's are currently running 6-8 weeks, "IF" there are no problems.
    Form 4's differant ball game, if your are a first timer for NFA expect 6-8months.
    My shortest turn around on a form 4 was 6 weeks, but then I had another that was processed about 3 weeks prior. And that one took 4 months.
    It also depend on who your examiner is...
    No comments on that..
    To check current reported transfer times check out tihis link.
    http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/FAQ/nfa_examiners.htm
    Walte