In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do-it-yourself truck bed liners?

Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Anybody have luck with these? I am looking at getting a gallon of Herculiner to use on my pickup, but there are a bunch of other brands to choose from.

Suggestions or advice gentlemen?

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey

I used two gallons of Herculiner on my truck when it first came out. I am 50/50 satisfied. I did the bed, but also everything under the door guards, the front and rear bumper, the insides of the door up to the guard line, the sill plates up to the guard line and a bug guard on the hood.

I prepped meticulously, taped for hours, and had perfect conditions. The whole job took a week. I would do a coat and wait for it to cure and then do a second coat. I then went over the whole truck looking for thin spots and touched them up.

When first done it was shiny, bright and tough. It is now dull, seperating in places that sun could reach, but still very tough. I use my truck off-road alot hitting brush on the underside of my truck and it holds up extremely well.

Where the sun didnt hit (inside doors) it is still thick and tough, but not as shiny as new.

A new product has been introduced (not available when I did my truck) that supposedly fixes the sunlight problem. This summer I will use Herculiner again and redo the whole truck and then this topcoat product.

I would STRONGLY recommend going to Line-X or Rhinoliner and getting a quote before attempting the Herculiner. It isnt difficult but for the amount of work and upkeep, I believe the other two products are superior. Line-x is supposed to be the best, followed by Rhinoliner.

I guess I have rambled on enough. If you have any more questions or would like to see some pics of what happened to my truck just e-mail me.

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son used the Herculiner stuff on his truck and Jeep. He swears by the stuff.

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it also work great to coat the under side of skiffs just in case you were wondering

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    dont use the pep-boys crap!
    we have bought around 6 or 7 1998-2000 pickup trucks from the auto auction that had the do it yourself paint on bedliners.
    All look like crap. Most are very thin coatings and are peeling really bad. Looks like a Holstien cow paint job. A couple others look like they bead blasteed the bed prior to adding the coating materials, they are cracking and fading, but not peeling.
    On my personal pickup I have Line-X, think it was $450 for over the rail & tail gate on a SB Silverado. Well worth it IMHO.
    Walte