In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Modem noise

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in General Discussion
One of the broadband providers has spent a lot of money on a commercial that makes a big deal about the noise your modem makes when it logs onto the internet. What they don't tell you is that it's easy to turn that noise off if you want to.

For anyone interested, here's how: Type a letter M in the box called "Extra Settings" in your Advanced Connections Settings.

The easy way to get there is to go to your Windows Start button, and choose Settings, then choose Modems. In the Modem window, click on "Properties." You'll see two tabs at the top of the window, General and Connection. Click on Connection, then click on the button called 'Advanced.' There you'll find the empty text box called "Extra Settings." Type in the letter M. Click ok and get out. Now your modem will log on silently.

Just for fun, I thought you might like to know. Any questions, feel free to send email to stevetowsley@msn.com.

- Life NRA Member
"If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878

Comments

• Options
    ghost614ghost614 Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    but modem noises are so cool. i've got cable so i can fly onto the net without any waiting to log on. but damn, it's just so satisfying to hear all those beeps.
  • Options
    Bushy ARBushy AR Member Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just tried the mute trick...too cool!! Thought I could not get rid of the noise...thanks! Might turn it back on down the road though...was like my ex-wife bitching,never thought I might miss it...but sometimes it's too quiet around here!

Little people talk about people,regular people talk about things,and big people talk about ideas.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, you could try M1, M2, or M3. I think each controls the volume of the sound. M is essentially the same as "M-zero."

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being the sad geek that I am, when the 14.4k modems first came out, I was able to tell you what all those beeps and bongs meant. :)

Merc

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt