In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shipping handguns

yellow-dog1959yellow-dog1959 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
I am new to selling on GB and want to make sure I don't 'accidently' become a felon. I understand that if I ship a pistol I must ship it priority overnight - according to what I read. I know that FFL's have other options and my plan is to ship through an FFL so I don't have to ship overnight. I see people advertising pistol shipments by ground and don't appear to be an FFL. Are they just using an FFL to ship or is there some other method I can use? Thanks for any advise.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    HI I HAVE SOLD SEVERAL GUNS FOR MY FATHER. I DONT HAVE A FFL AND HAVE SHIPPED LONG GUNS USPRIORITY. NOW I HAVE SOME COLLECTIBLE HANDGUNS I NEED TO SHIP AND FIND THE LAWS ARE DIFFERENT. IT USED TO BE THAT UPS WOULD TAKE THEM AND FED EX TOO BUT THEIR RULES HAVE CHANGED.NOW UPS WONT TAKE THEM AND FED EX LIKE USPS REQUIRES YOU BE A DEALER FFL. I TRIED OUR LOCAL GUN SHOP AND THEY WOULD NOT SHIP FOR A FEE.I AM NOW LOOKING AT TRYING INDEPENDENT DEALERS JUST TO TAKE TO THE POST OFFICE SEEMS CRAZY I HAVE ALL THE PAPERWORK BUT I AM NOT LICENSED.ANY SUGGESTIONS BESIDES GETTING MY LICENSE?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    . I am not a Colt 45 Collector and know no thing about it . Buyer pays $55.00 for Next day air shipping , I need acopy of your FFL before I can ship , Hawaii , Alaska will need to pay more to ship . I am not FFL holder and I will ship it with a copy of my Driver license .

i was looking at ads on gb and came across this, was wondering is this legal i know its not in my state,
    been seeing more and more ads like this im thinking am i wasting my money taking my items to a ffl
    any other thoughts on this
    tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am getting ready to list two Colt handguns on Gunbroker. The way I read the shipping terms, I only had two choices. And both were overnight or next day. But I look at other listings, and they have priority mail, which is a way cheaper option. Am I missing something reading the legal rules of shipping a handgun ?? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have read that the only way to ship handguns is with dedicated carrier such as FedEx. What about USPS? Information at this site (sellers tutorial) suggests it is not legal to ship handguns through the mail. Searching the USPS website there is reference to form 1508 that must be filled out to ship handguns. Specifically outlined within the USPS website, handguns may be legally shipped through the mail. It clearly states handguns may be shipped FFL to FFL, FBI, Military officer, law enforecement agency, and a few more. 17 years ago I was able to ship handguns via the mail, (managed a gunshop at the time) but was disappointed to read (at this site) that shipping handguns in the mail was prohibited.I am no lawyer. Just a private citizen. I comply with federal guidelines regarding private sale of firearms. To date I have sold no handguns so it is not yet an issue. But I am considering selling a couple. I understand only FFL may ship handguns, but the USPS form mentioned previously clearly says to me that it is legal to ship through the mail. Anyone have any experience in this area? I just want to get it right. YD-59.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Postal regulations allow a Federal Firearms Licensed (ffl) dealer to ship handguns. The USPS regs. prohibit a unlicensed individual from mailing a handgun. Check the bulleting board in the PO lobby for a poster depicting prohibited items. Due to the excessive costs of shipping by the expedited means required by common carriers, it may be advantageous to pay a ffl holder to ship for you via USPS.
  • Options
    adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    The auction site's Firearm Shipping Guide covers this: http://www.gunbroker.com/user/ShippingGuide.asp
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Herschel, I guess my point is if it is legal to ship through the mail, why isn't that option identified within the sellers tutorial? YDBy the way, I too enjoy the M1922 though I only have kept one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just read the section on shipping for licensed individuals. Now I see what I previously missed. Guess I read the section on non-licensed shipping and looked no further. Thanks for setting the record straight for me!Kind regards to all,YD59