In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sks or cetme

mdcacmdcac Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
heres another delima i face.

i have a preban chinese partrooper SKS, which is in great shape. should i hang on to it or try to trade it for a spanish cetme. if i trade how much should i expect for it. if i hang on to it are there any folding stocks out there that will fit it.

thanks
mdcac

Comments

• Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep the SKS as they are harder to come by just now in that configuration. Save up and buy a Cetme, they're fun! Then keep
    both!
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mdcac--
    Don't try to trade your SKS to a dealer. You won't get enough for it. Those CETME's with the new wood are awfully nice, and .308 caliber too. You may decide that you can't get enough for your SKS in trade to make it worth losing. If I were you I'd either keep the SKS, or else take the time to sell it at a higher bid on a Gunbroker auction and get my money out of it before buying the CETME. I'd like a CETME too, but I wouldn't give up my AK-47 to get it.

The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, P.S., you can probably find your folding SKS stock either in an ad in Shotgun News or in a Gunbroker auction. I'm sure they're readily available. You might also try CheaperThanDirt.com, or their catalog.

The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member.
  • Options
    DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, don't worry about whether the folder will fit a Paratrooper SKS or a regular SKS -- an SKS stock is an SKS stock, regardless of barrel length.

Of course, putting a folding stock on an SKS with a bayonet lug would constitute "manufacturing an assault weapon", I believe.

DarkStar11"Now is the test of the boomerangtossed in the night of redeeming"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    part of the problem is i also have an SAR-1. while its obviosly not a preban i shoot it more than the sks and since theyre the same round i feel like i need to branch out. i am one of those guys who some how ended up with commie guns partially i guess do to economics. sks sar1(AK-47) m39 mosin nagant (a sweet rifle). i have a 9MM and a 45 but i feel i should have a rifle that shoots a domestic round other than my .22. i may just have to suck it up and by the cetme anyway. you make a very good point about not being able to get a good price froma dealer.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you have a big centimental attachment to the SKS paratrooper I'd go for the trade. Overall the CETME would be a better battlefield weapon, and when the large amount of surplus dries up they will be worth alot more than they are now. The little Paratrooper SKS is kind of getting to be a collectors item, you don't see as many of them as you do regular SKS's, but there are enough that if you ever decide to get another one, you shouldn't have a problem finding one. If you can get an even trade for the CETME don't pass if up, but don't take a penny under $250 for it, I see them on gunbroker between $250-300, unless its the model that takes AK magazines, those run about another $50-100.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i say my sks is a preban. i am almost certain that is . do you guys know a source that i can confirm it is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A knowledgable dealer at your next gun show will be happy to tell you -- their business relies on knowing the difference about things like that.

• Options
    FUBARFUBAR Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep the SKS, save and buy the cetme. Try to get the Cetme while the price is down. Shotgun News has several dealers that will sell for less than $400.00 right now. The price will go back up when the supply drops. The Cetme is a fun shooter, but I would not give up my SKS (russian).

Guns! Guns! Guns!