In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pump vs. Auto

wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
All right guys let's get it stirred up. Which is faster a good man with a pump shotgun or a semiautomatic shotgun. I don't think anything beats a pump with out a trigger disconnecter.

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you want, speed or accuracy? If it's speed, the semi wins, if it's accuracy it will be a very close tie depending on the shells used, target loads I think the semi could squeak ahead, full power turkey loads I think it would be a tie. Reaquiring the target would hamper the semi to out shoot the pump, the pump can be brought back on target easily while working the action and after harsh recoil there is plenty of time to "pump" in a new round while the guy with the semi fighting the same recoil it would be close.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now that they're building some semi-autos that automatically adjust to be reliable with different loads, I'd like to own one in a tactical format. I don't think there's any way a pump can beat a semi-auto with a proper trigger, if speed is what counts. Of course you can argue that the time to aim is a factor, but you can't fine tune your aim until you've cycled a round. I currently have a Rem 870 and I think a good semi-auto would be a superior defense choice, but not necessarily a better hunter. I have often thought it would be fun to have one of those Ithaca 37s though. The 870 has no trigger disconnect. Shooting from the hip, you might argue a gun like the 37 was as good a trench cleaner as a semi-auto, and I couldn't disagree.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Try it sometime a pump is faster if no disconnecter. Anybody else ever switched from a pump to an auto and try and jack the forearm back and miss the followup shot on a double
  • Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The great 1950's Winchester trick shooter Herb Parsons could toss up seven clay birds and break each with an individual shot using a Model 12 pump before the birds hit the ground.....Tom Knapp has done the same feat only with 8 birds and a semi-auto Benelli....
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like Ithaca revived one of their war models with the new "Homeland Security" model. Granted it's a rip-off of the Sept. 11th tragedy but I'd still like to own one. Does anyone know if the "homeland security" model has a trigger disconnect?
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pump wins, no contest. Same thing with an old pump .22.I think some may be missing that he stipulated "no disconector". You just hold the trigger back & work the slide.[This message has been edited by gruntled (edited 04-09-2002).]
  • Options
    aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wipala..I know what you are talking about. Bought my Model 37 new and have shot thousands of rounds out of it. One year I got a buy on a new Winchester Auto and went dove hunting. Never did get a dove with the second shot because of trying to pump the action and when I did shoot the dove was out of range. Shot one box of ammo and went back to the truck and got my Model 37. I never shot the Winchester again and later traded it to a friend for a pistol.
  • Options
    PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't recall who said it, but I remember an exhibition shooter saying an auto is only as fast as the action. Granted this was before the Benelli's came out, and since my dad has one I can attest to their speed. Someday this summer I'll try shooting three rounds from an Auto Five as quickly as I can and the same from my 870. Any takers as to whether or not I can hit the barn?
    Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.
  • Options
    R WallerR Waller Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    tom knapp consistently breaks 9 clays with a SBE, and thats only because his SBE only holds 9 rounds.....in trained hands, an SBE will out shoot for speed and accuracy ANY pump on the planet... dont forget, the marines just switched to a semi-auto benelli..
  • Options
    moparmopar Member Posts: 338 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was mentioned in a previous post above that Remington 870's
    have no disconnector.Okay,I've owned and shot a lot of these and currently have three in my safe.I have also had an opportunity to
    fire an older Ithaca 37 several years ago and it too had no disconnecter.

All I had to do was hold down the trigger and pump the slide and it fired everytime w/o using the trigger in between shots/cycling.

Why then is a stock 870 not capable of this same type of operation?

Am I missing something here? No big deal,just wanna know what's up.

Thanks
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Semi-Auto Benelli is my vote. I do have a Ithaca 37 16ga that is very fast however its not even in the same class as the Benelli. Tom Knapp has shot 8 clays with a nova pump and 9 with the SBE. I would put a SBE against any shotgun made.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guys I haven't shot a Benelli or against it either. but I have taken a lot of money with my M-12 from guys who thought their Remington or Browning was the fastest thing going . I hear the Benelli is fast but I know the pump is fast
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mopar: The Baftards caught on the trick many years ago & since then all pump guns have had to be made with a disconector.
  • Options
    R WallerR Waller Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    your m12 stands no chance against a qualified SBE user,
    I shot a rem 1100 for many years and the SBE is much quicker..

Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag?
  • Options
    FUBARFUBAR Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 870 pump, and a Saiga Semi-Auto. I would have to say in my case anyway, the Saiga wins out everytime in speed and accuracy of shot.

Guns! Guns! Guns!