In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

wanted: good deer jerky recipe/sp?

treedawgtreedawg Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope that venison isn't fresh....Anyway, I don't remember where I got this recipe, but I had it stored under "Jerky Recipes". Who would have thought......

1 1/2 To 2 lbs lean boneless deer meat, partially frozen
    1/4 c Soy sauce
    1 tb Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 ts Ground pepper
    1/4 ts Garlic powder
    1/4 ts Onion powder
    1/4 ts Hickory smoked salt
    1/4 c Firmly packed brown sugar
    1 sm Bottle liquid smoke

Trim all fat from the meat. Slice the meat as thinly as possible. In a bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Stir until dissolved. Add the meat and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Shake the excess liquid from the meat and arrange in a shallow pan or cookie sheet. Dry the meat in a 150F or 200 degree F oven until dry and brown, a minimum of 8 hours. Cool, remove from the pan, and store in a glass jar.

good luck
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use Hi mountain jerky cure this stuff is the best i have found so far. one box will do 15lbs.
    all you have to do is weight the meat add the amount of stuff,refrigerate 24hrs and dry it with a dehydrator smoker oven or barbecue. it comes in a few different flavors i dont know what they all are. i use the original blend. this stuff is good cant stop eating it until it is gone :-)
    i get mine at Scheels sporting goods shop
    here is the web site addy www.himtnjerky.com

doc

I dont give my guns without somebody getting hurt!
    I know where my beef comes from.do you know where yours comes from???....mexico,austraila,the UK,south america...???? dont know do you, demand country of origin labling for your food!!!!
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    just be sure to sharpen your teeth real good before eating.
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • Options
    pigeoncreek1pigeoncreek1 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got one of those "jerky shooters" at a local Wal-Mart, It looks like a small caulking gun, all you do is mix 1lb of ground meat(deer,elk,beef,turkey) a seasoning packet(they have like 5 or 6 flavors),and a pack of curing salt(provided). Pack it in the gun and squeeze it out on cooling racks. I bake mine for 2.5 hours on 200 degrees, it comes out nice and tender!...I will never slice meat for jerky again!!...the kit cost around 13.00 its made by NESCO, they also have a web site if your local Wal-Mart doesn't carry it....

Gun control is hitting your target
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    This is my Pa-Pa's jerky recipie and it is awesome.

1 lb of deer/elk meat sliced thin.
    4 tblsp-1/4 cup Worchertershire sauce
    4 tblsp-1/4 cup Soy sauce
    1 tblsp Ketchup
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tblsp liquid smoke

Mix well and brine the meat for 12-16 hours, stirring/mixing occasionally.

Use food dehydrator to dry per your dehydrators temp instructions.

Definately try it then let me know what you think. It is truly wonderful.

Lt the hungry

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • Options
    aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I make it like my Father did on the ranch. Cut all the fat and bones out of the meat and slice it about 1/4" thick. Salt and pepper both sides, string it on heavy twine and hang it under the eaves where it gets most of the days sun. Make sure the pieces don't touch. Here in Arizona in the summer the jerky usually is ready to eat inless than a week.
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Been doing this for years and all love it!
    Salt it, pepper it then smoke it (small room or smokehouse) using real coals and wood (mesquite/pecan/hickory) for 10 hrs. Suspend from ceiling with string. Bring in house to finish drying. No chemicals, just natural jerky- Its the best!!
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK,GREENHORN QUESTION?YOU DONT HAVE TO COOK THE MEAT??WHEN YOU MAKE THE JERKY YOU BASICALY DRY RAW MEAT??NOT SQUEAMISH AT ALL JUST CURIOUS

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SO IF IT IS RAW MEAT>WHAT IS THE BEST CUT OF BEEF TO MAKE JERKY OUT OF??I MEAN IF I WANTED TO START MAKING JERKY TOMORROW,WHAT WOULD I BUY AT THE STORE??THEN FOLLOW THE RECIPE"S ABOVE

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    madness522madness522 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I don't have deer meat I always use a London Broil. The deimensions are almost perfect all you have to do is slice it thin. If you get one during the time the meat guys are working they will gladly slice it for you ensuring slices that dry evenly (you won't have some too dry and some not dry enough). My recipe is easy:

1 part soy
    1 part worchestershire
    black pepper to taste (I like a lot of this)
    crushed red pepper (about 2 table spoons per pound of meat)
    about 10 drops of liquid smoke per pound of meat
    dash of garlic powder

stir all ingredients mix large bowl and soak meat covered for about an hour stir occasonally.

I use a dehydrator so it takes about 8 hours to dry.

Enjoy!!
  • Options
    treedawgtreedawg Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for all the help. no, the venison isn't fresh. have been saving one tenderloin for this and didn't have a recipe or the time to do it.

thanks again,
    todd
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We use Canadian Steak Seasoning sprinkled on right out of the jar. Works as good as any and a lot cheaper than specialty seasonings.

Mobuck