In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shingles

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
In early September, I had shingles pop out on the left side of my face.

The pain was really bad.

The nerve damage will take months to heal.

People have asked, "how bad was it".

I reply, "Horrible, I would not wish the on my worst enemy, well.... maybe Ted Kennedy".

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Guess who's got em.

they suck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know if anyone here has had them but recall my Dad got them and he was miserable for some months.

A year or so ago when at the VA for my annual checkup, they asked if I wanted one. Recalling how miserable my Dad was, I opted to get the shingles shot.

So far .... no problems.

[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone ever heard of someone getting them on their face?

The Rancher my oldest boy works for evidently has them on his face and it using some precription ointment, said without it, blindness was a possibility. Any comments?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One fellow walked into a doctor's office and the receptionist asked him what he had. He said "Shingles." so she took down his name, address, medical insurance number and told him to have a seat.

Fifteen minutes later, a nurse's aide came out and asked him what he had. He said "Shingles" so she took down his weight, height, and complete medical history, then told him to wait in the exam room.

A half hour later a nurse came in and asked him what he had. He said "Shingles" so she gave him a blood test, a blood preasure test, an electrocardiogram, told him to take off all of his clothes and wait for the doctor.

An hour later, the doctor came in and asked him what he had. He said "Shingles."

The doctor said, "Where?"

He said, "outside in the truck. Where do you want them?"
  • Options
    legionkahnlegionkahn Member Posts: 4,055
    edited November -1
    Never heard of human shingles. I have heard of Equine shingles (Rhino Pneumonitis Neurotrophic Herpes Syndrome). It is probably not the same thing though.
  • Options
    legionkahnlegionkahn Member Posts: 4,055
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    You mean this is not the roofing thread?
    That is not until Thursday.
  • Options
    barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
    Yes sir if it gets on his eyeball itself, I do guess he has went to the doctor, if caught within 72 hours they will give him valtrex , now he could have the kind that itches or the kind that is painful, mine was painful they will give him some strong pain meds for that , it is usually comes from being sick and then stress , it is contagious if the bumps brust then the liquid comes in contact with some one that hasn't had chicken poxs . Best he rest for a few days and stay away from people especialy kids.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It comes from Chicken pox it will lay dormant in 1 out of 5 people. And then Sickness and stress trigger it just on one side of the body, like half way stopping at the spine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    valtrex, isn't that herpes medicine they have ads for on TV?
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not on the face, but I did have them on the right side of my chest and in my arm pit. Not the greatest experience I ever had. Itched and burned constantly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes valtrex is for the herpes strain which falls under the shingles and chicken pox virus and it can attack you anywhere on your body, it's in the nervous system. Even your head or face but only on one side.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the shot if you have had chicken pox.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    Get the shot if you have had chicken pox.
    If your over sixty that's when the shot is recommended.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had it several times in the same place on my forehead over the last thirty years. The first time the doctor wasn't sure because there wasn't any pain.
    I probably get an outbreak about on average every three years or so & only once has there been any pain.
    That was the only time it was in a different place. I had a bad toothache & it broke out near my eye. Between the shingles, the toothache & worrying about my eye that was not a good experience.
    I have found that if I put Abreva on it when I first feel it comming on I can often prevent it from breaking out.
    All I usually feel is a tingling & then a slight dull ache but nothing I would describe as pain. Then there is a LARGE bump which finally breaks open with a LOT of puss. That finally scabs over & then goes away.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    damn, with all this talk about lumps, bumps, coming to a head and puss. Sounds like Strangles in horse or mule, nasty.

Going to tell my boy, call his boss on the phone, hand signals, whatever, just stay away while he's draining. No need chance him taking something back to the granddaughters (3 and 1).
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My mother had them on the side of her face and also behind the eye...Valtrex wasnt available then, so it was whatever could be used...

She would take pure Aloe Vera gel and pour it into her eye...she said it stopped the pain for her and helped the healing...she didnt have any permanent damage from them and the dr said it was because of the aloe gel...
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i worked with a guy that had them on his face and in his eyes.
    he was the most miserable sob i ever worked with. he was in severe pain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    My mother had them on the side of her face and also behind the eye...Valtrex wasnt available then, so it was whatever could be used...

She would take pure Aloe Vera gel and pour it into her eye...she said it stopped the pain for her and helped the healing...she didnt have any permanent damage from them and the dr said it was because of the aloe gel...

Thx, BR.
    I will pass the "pure Aloe gel" along. From what I gather from others these Shingles are very frustrating and painful to deal with.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    My Daughter In Law Has them Inside Her Abdomen[:(][:(][:(]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I had a bout with them a couple years ago, Big Rash, Itch like hell and very painfull, Mine were on my right thigh and leg and I couldnt walk for a few days. Valtrex and pain pills got me through.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I had them in the mid 80's, my kids all got chicken pox within a couple of weeks. I'll tell you that was one sorry household for the duration. I didn't have any sick leave at that time so had to keep working. Ended up wrapping gauze around my waist to keep the oozing from coming through my clothes. Still have a band of scars around the left side about 2" wide.