In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How to restore faded plastic: Update

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
I have a 4 wheeler that has faded from blue to almost white. Is there anything that will restore some color? I know there is no way it will look new but I would like to get some color back. Anyone know of any product that will help me out. Thanks, Tom

Update: I just ordered the Rustoleum pads. It looks easy to use so I will give it a try. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    is the plastic blue , or is it a paint?
    If blue through and through a light sanding with wet or dry 220 sandpaper might be a start.
    try it in a small out of sight area to test it out. ALWAYS use plenty of water while sanding.
    if it works , go down to finer grades till you get a super fine surface, then either spray with a clear coat for plastic, or, wax it.
  • Options
    TerantTerant Member Posts: 80
    edited November -1
    Try Wipe Nu. It's the product that was advertised on TV. I think Rustoleum has bought them and is now sold as Wipe New from Rustoleum. I used it on some plastic cladding on an old Jeep Grand Cherokee and it does, actually, bring the color back and protects it for quite a while. Try it in a non-conspicuous spot, but it worked well for us. If you put too much on, it will show brush (actually rag marks) marks and when it dries, it will appear to be a clear plastic with the marks in it. Overall, it works well, give it a try. It should be available at Wally World, Walgreens, etc.
    A country with uncontrolled borders is not a country, but an uncontrolled region.
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tank, the plastic is solid blue. Thanks, Tom

Terant, that is more of what I had in mind. I will try that first. I'm looking for something that is easy. Tom
  • Options
    TerantTerant Member Posts: 80
    edited November -1
    It worked well for us. the cladding was almost white and it returned it to a dark gray. No longer have the Jeep, but I remember it lasting. Just wipe it on. quote:Originally posted by tccox
    Tank, the plastic is solid blue. Thanks, Tom

Terant, that is more of what I had in mind. I will try that first. I'm looking for something that is easy. Tom
    A country with uncontrolled borders is not a country, but an uncontrolled region.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Use vinyl floor liquid wax, works good and is a cheap solution![:)] I used it on a yellow Honda Rancher I had a few years back, it worked great! If you use a wet/dry 600 grit sandpaper to wet sand the plastic and then use the vinyl floor wax it really turns out good.
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    wipe new is as good as advertised.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Last resort http://www.eastwood.com/paints/interior-dyes.html

Used this on dashes and visors. Works great.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is a fiberglass body wipe new may be the answer read the instructions and follow them.

I would not use on Vinyl or other flexible surfaces.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heat. Heat is the best way to remove fading on plastic.

I found that a heat gun like the ones that you buy to remove paint with that looks like a hair dryer is way too slow. The weed burner ran over it quickly, not long enough to melt it, will remove faded plastic in no time. I mean Within seconds.

What it a dose is melts off the faded outside layer exposing new plastic underneath it

I would practice on something that you don't care if you melts a portion of it a little bit, so you can see how fast you have to move with a weed burner. Like the bottom of a plastic lawn chair

Here's a guy using a heat gun, like I said to me it's to slow the process. But you can see how it takes the outside dull part right off.

If you Start video about 1 minute 30 seconds into it is where he starts using the heat gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQDBTeIObak&app=desktop
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "color-back"
    It's a product that restores and enhances faded paint/plastic and used often on farm equipment that sits outside.