In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I Accidentally Busted a Turkey Poacher

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I have 48 acres of mountain land in N. Carolina. This land is most all very steep. Most of it has thick brush.
I wanted to cut some trees on a lower ridge so I could see the river. This ridge is 200 yards away, line of sight. It takes 30 minutes to get there, the last 200 feet you are crawling up a cliff and pushing the chain saw ahead.
When you are on the porch you see the trees you want to cut. By the time you get to that far ridge, you can't tell which tree is which. The idea of cut one tree, go back to the porch, look, go back and cut another, not good with a one hour turn around time.
So I got two 25 channel walkie talkies at Wal Mart. The fiancee would sit on the porch with a radio and binoculars. I would go over to the ridge, and she would spot for me.
Just before I went out, I set a walkie talkie to channel 4 and for the hell of it said "What's goin on good buddy, Breaker Breaker"
Quickly a voice responded, "You see any gobblers, son"?
My fiancee gave me a funny look. I knew right away what was going on. In a minute another voice responded, "Be quiet on the radio Daddy, remember what we said"?
I told my fiancee that some guys were hunting turkeys by use of radio, which is illegal. Since the range of these radios is 1/4 mile, they were probably on my property.
I got back on the radio with my best fake cop voice. I said, "Ranger Jackson, I got the poachers nailed with my radio direction locator. You go ahead and move in on the main road. I will drive up to the top and get them from up above."
There wasn't any more radio traffic. I think some country boys were moving too fast to talk.

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    That's pretty funny. Sounds like my brother on his walkie talkie at the camp grounds giving kids heck for being out late.

I do not agree with poaching, unless it is strictly for food. I have seen some poverty stricten people that relied on deer, turkey, and other game to feed their children. It's really sad to see someone in that state. I have given up some of my game to people who were in more need of it than myself.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    OH MAN, THAT WAS ONLY YOU ON THE WALKIE TALKIE?! YOU SCARED ME HALF TO DEATH! just kiddin' [:D] - Toe
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Sorry, for a moment I thought you had broken your turkey baster.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Now thats a good one

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • springer1springer1 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great story,
    Once we were going turkey hunting ,made the turn to the land and saw 4-5 birds down in this corner where we sometime set up,We start planing the hunt ,then checked on the birds they hadnt moved,we knew something was wrong,turns out someone had set up on our land,we went and took their decoys and blind ,cense it was a five day season and we had their stuff so no hunting that season.The next week we got a call saying how sorry they where , They said they let someone hunt out there that didnt know where he could or couldnt hunt, They learned it the hard way
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet those mountain boys had the same walkie talkies as I had, and they were not the most expensive, and they cost $70. Seventy bucks would buy a lot of rice and beans. In fact I just bought a whole turkey at Ingles two days ago for $15, just ate a drumstick, mmm good.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That'll teach em.
    [:)][:D][8D][:p][}:)][^]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    It's to bad that you didn't get to have the arrested. [:(]

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.