In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Propane

gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!! $3.53 gal here today and they say its going higher

Comments

• gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    after owebummer stopped drilling in the gulf and stopped issuance of 103 permits off Alaska i wondered if next winters propane for heat would go way up...so i went in today to one outfit and wanted to know what cost per gallon i could prepay for a contract...told them i would check back in a couple of days....made a contract for winter of 09-10 and made it thru up till now on 10-11 with 74 gallons left....any opinions as to my idea ???? thanks
    edited November -1
    is made from natural gas and oil refining.....sooo...what impact on price could be expected from the latest Iraq problem...reason...I guess when summer low price has hit and prepay some for both places...has worked great for several years saving a good deal of money...but this has me ?????
    edited November -1
    A lot of my stuff runs off propane. I just had a tank delivered and although I have no idea what drives the prices of propane, this was the cheapest delivery in years.

The price always goes down in the summer of course, but at 1.60 a gallon, I'm pretty thankful this morning.
    edited November -1
    This spring I contracted pre-pay gas for $1.49. Then I had my tank filled in may. This week I thought I smelled something dead behind the house, it was propane. Seems there was a leak somewhere in my 100 foot of copper line. I lost approximately 250 gallon. The tank was at 18%.

Good news, they laid out a temporary line to be buried sometime this week and refilled my tank for only $1.20.

I think this would have bought a nice firearm.
    edited November -1
    Anyone ever try to shoot those little camping propane tanks? What happened if anything?

Larry
  • adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    I would strongly recommend against this.

However, my guess is that the bullet simply makes a hole in the tank and the gas leaks out. Bullets are too soft to make a spark to ignite it.
  • 0341USMC0341USMC Member Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much happens.Propane is a liquid and will not explode until it is released as a gas.

0341USMC
    SEMPER FI
    Christian
    American
    heterosexual
    PRO GUN
    conservative
    Any Questions?
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DON"T DO IT had one try it at our range bullet went over the side brem an scared the **it out of some shooters down range posting targets[:(!]

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    If you do, Use an incindiary round or a tracer. The bottle should be almost empty too. Make sure nobody is around and shoot it from a loooong way off.

Just kidding, I would never suggest anything like this. [;)]

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,502 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gas is a liquid in the tank.
    It is under a lot of pressure.
    If you hit it with something that put a hole in it, you are going to get a serious geyser of propane.

I have always wondered the same thing. Let us say, if you hit one of those big 500 gal tanks with some 30-06 ap, that would be an interesting sight.
    Certainly the bullet would spark when it hit. Would the propane geyser catch fire?
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I'd have a small fire about 3 feet from it just in case.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    yep tried it. 30-06 tracer on a full 12oz can, just with through it, no flame, no explosion just lots of gas spraying out.
    2nd time took a so called empty 12oz can shot it with the 30-06 tracer, Vavooom!
    Never found the canister..
    Also tried a empty 5gal acetone can with about maybe 4-6oz still left. Sucker went straight up about 100ft then exploded into a fire ball. Found the can with the bottom & top puched out and the side seam ripped out.

Go figure..
    Walte
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I've heard you have to set them in a small fire before shooting them...
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Try it and you can be famous here:

http://www.darwinawards.com/

[}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [}:)]

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.