In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My Apologies

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in General Discussion
To the GunBroker members.
Apparently the good-natured joshing dogman and I were engaging in got too warm for moderators. The Rush Limbaugh thread was just too much fun to pass up. So I'm sorry if, indeed it was our posting that got the thread pulled.
See, dogman and I have been pretty well aquainted for a couple of years now and the posts were (really) all in good fun.
Again, I'm sorry to have hijacked the discussion

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I recently encountered a virus that nuked my Norton Anti-Virus program which I updated 48 hours prior to receiving the virus. I turned around and bought McAffee AntiVirus and Firewall. My virus won't let me run the program now that it's installed. It's a nasty bugger that emails itself to people so I've been avoiding the internet at home. I don't get to use the net much at work so I apologize if anyone has been trying to email me.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My apologies to jamesrk and kimi about going off on the school shooting thread. Some of the people who died where somewhat connected to me, and I let my emotions get the better of me. I shouldn't have done that and I apologize.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    If it makes you feel better, I caught the same one.

It's W32/Klez, right?

I caught it late and it had eaten several of my favorite programs. Major bummer.

A fine cigar gladdens the soul."Remember, there are only two: The Quick, and the Dead"
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone sent me that W32/Klez and I deleated it after some deliberation ... I thoutht it said it came from Microsoft but decided if it did it would be on their update page and I would get it there ... when it wasn't there, I wondered if it might have been a virus.

=================================
    Sometimes the most obvious, is the most elusive!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's the virus. Right now it hasn't chewed up any of my programs except for my anti-virus programs. It nuked Norton Anti-Virus and it won't let me run McAffee which I just purchased this weekend. Looks like a re-format is in order.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the post, idsman!! My next stop is the Symantec update center!
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Format won't wipe off a virus if it writes itself into your boot sector.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it, worry about the fragmentation grenade addressed 'To Occupant'.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you got that hard of a virus I suggest a low level format. Instead of doing a format c: and fdisk mbr find out what brand of hard drive you have and get a utility for that drive. Maxblast will work on some brands other than Maxtor, western digital makes a pretty good utility that works on different brands as well. A low level format takes quite awhile to do and it writes 0's to the entire drive. A format c: just blankets the bad sectors but those images can be pulled back up and like Munkey said the mbr survives the format, I think this is why people refuse to format because if the mbr is infected problem is still there. You will hear many fixes like just reinstall windows back over whats in there. DON'T DO THAT! I'll make you a deal if you want. Tell me what size drive you have and I can send you a good drive with all zeros on it and you send me the infected one, even swap. I can even fix you up with an up to date OS if you want in any windows style you want. I have several components here including a bunch of drives and I guarentee mine to be virus free.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Norton Antivirus warned me last week about three messages in my mailbox sent on two consecutive days. The messages were from two different senders and all had the w32klez version G virus. It was recommended to delete the messages without opening. There is a website
    that allows you to download an antidote for this virus.
  • Options
    scott5792scott5792 Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you happen to have a link to that site. I got that virus today I think.
    Like to know.
    Better safe than sorry
    Thanks
    Scott
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I got was a Cold.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have the website for the antidote?

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best place to go is http://sarc.com

The Symantec Anti-Virus Research Center is where I go and I support thousands of PCs and dozens of servers for my clients.

Remember, no matter what anti-virus software you run, it will never protect you if you don't keep the definitions up-to-date. Also, if you get a file attachment in an e-mail message and you don't know who sent it or what it is, DELETE IT. It's just not worth the risk...

Good luck!

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals

Edited by - concealedG36 on 05/01/2002 14:34:22
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't even have to open the attachment to the email. I opened Outlook Express and was going through and deleting all of my junk mail. When you delete one message the next one is highlighted automatically. When the suspect email message was highlighted, the virus entered my computer. I was attempting to delete it and it got me anyway. The funny thing is, I updated Norton Anti-Virus online on Sunday. I got the virus on Tuesday.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY

Edited by - idsman75 on 05/01/2002 15:31:21
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uncheck the box that says Automaticly download message. That will fix that problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I downloaded the antidote from www.sarc.com It doesn't do anything when I click "start". Then I downloaded an antidote for KLEZ viruses from another website and now my desktop doesn't respond. Looks like a format is in order. I haven't formatted a hard drive in years. How do you do that again? (I know less about computers than I know about guns)

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ids, if you're still reading this thread:

Dont format unless you absolutely have to.

I used that very same utility to purge my PC of Klez. But you have to be in Safe mode, and have a nearly empty System Tray for it to work.

Do this:

Click Start, and then click Shut down. Click Restart, click OK, and then press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu appears. For some machines, you can use F8 instead of CTRL to bring up the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu. Enter the number for Safe mode, and then press ENTER.

That'll get you into Safe Mode. Then hit Control-Alt-Delete and "End Task" all programs except Explorer and Systray.

Then run the FixKlez utility. It should work fine. It just needs to scan everything, and it cant scan anything that is running.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bullzeye. I wasn't running in the Safe Mode. Now my computer is as good as new (30 infected files) and Mcaffee VirusScan, Firewall, and Guardian are all running and are up to date.

'preciate the advice.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could this be a virus? I got this email and all it says is "This is IE P16, hope you enjoy it" or something like that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No problem, Idsman.

Glad to hear it's working again.

When I first went to clean mine, I followed McAfee's advice and started in DOS mode and did a DOS-version scan which the virus apparently doesnt notice.

Problem is, a whole bunch of Windows files were infected and it wanted to just delete them! I guess the DOS version doesnt know how to repair or quarantine....

I downloaded the patch and all seems okay now. I'm still missing a few programs, but the Windows system files are all okay.

Here's a tip: When I get a message in my email box with an odd name, or a name that sounds like it might have a virus (something with really piss-poor English or involving giving me some file to help me), I go to one of the major anti-virus sites and do a search for the phrase that the email is using.

If a virus uses it, it'll tell you which one it is. Good thing to know.

I cant believe kids sit around creating viruses for the sole purpose of screwing over people they've never met. I advocate we use them for bayonet practice.

A fine cigar gladdens the soul."Remember, there are only two: The Quick, and the Dead"
  • Options
    The LawThe Law Member Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye; I'm trackin' Ya and gettin' closer!

"What we have here... is Failure to Communicate"
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF IT GOT PAST NORTON IT IS REALLY GOOD I GOT NORTON AND I AM A VERY HAPPY GUY NORTON IS BETTER THAN ANYTHING IVE EVER HAD,SO I GUESS I NEED TO WORRY

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Law,

Dont waste your energy trying to track me down.

You'll need all of it if you were to find me.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Law--If you haven't found him yet, then you don't know where he's at. If you don't know where he's at then how do you know if you're getting closer?

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can smell the tree sap that splattered on him.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just be careful, that's all.

Dont want you finding something you cant handle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey lawdog. Law don't go 'round here lawdog.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Closing the net even tighter! Thanks Idsman for your and Bullzeye's reply!

• Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    btt